PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #80 Scraper

Paul O'Halloran
05-30-2006, 3:26 PM
In David Frinck's Book "Making and Mastering Wood Planes " he gets into scrapers. He sharpens the blade at 90 degrees rather then45 & puts a burr on both edges. This he says works as good as the 45 angle and he has 2 edges to cut down his sharpening time. Has anyone tried this??. If it works you should be able to do both ends and have 4 edges. You would need a guard over the exposed edge. I picked up an 80 at a garage sale and am using the Lee Valley Bladehttp://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=46266&cat=1,310
Paul

James Mittlefehldt
05-30-2006, 5:35 PM
Paul have an 80 I bought for $5 at a garage sale in Kapuscasing, and it works well with the stock blade. Did you have any trouble fitting the LV blade into the Stanley?

It appears we are almost neighbours.

Dick Latshaw
05-30-2006, 7:43 PM
In David Finck's Book "Making and Mastering Wood Planes " he gets into scrapers. He sharpens the blade at 90 degrees rather then45 & puts a burr on both edges. This he says works as good as the 45 angle and he has 2 edges to cut down his sharpening time. Has anyone tried this??. Paul

Having read David's book and having attended one of his workshops, I firmly believe that if David says it works, it works. The guy is extremely meticulous, a product of the Krenov way of working. I don't have a #80 so I haven't tried his idea, but would if I had one. Give it a try and let us know what happens.

Kurt Forbes
05-31-2006, 2:15 PM
my 80 had a 45 degree bevil on one side and burn on the other side of the blade.
I honestly have not used it much so can nt tell you how well either setup works.

Paul O'Halloran
05-31-2006, 3:08 PM
James
We are close, I get over there to the Railway Museum but they tell me its closed.

The LV blade is the same width ( 2 3/4" ) as the Stanley. It's length is 1 5/8" the stanley is 2 1/4". The LV is thicker,but I don't have a mike to measure it. There should be less chance of chatter with the LV blade
Dick I tried one end on the Stanley blade following David F "s instructions and the shavings were really fine. It works great and as he said it is easier to sharpen at 90 degrees then 45.
I have an old " E.G. Atkins No. 4 scraper, i will try the 90 on it. There is a pic of it at the bottom left hand corner of this page
http://frontpage.execulink.com/pohallor/tool_cabinet.htm

Paul