PDA

View Full Version : Yet another triangle

Lee DeRaud
05-30-2006, 11:22 AM
European beech, about 8" across the widest dimension. More of a hexagon actually, since one of the points broke off: there's always one of them where the grain running the "wrong" way...rounded them all down to what you see.
Is anybody besides me getting tired of these yet?

Keith Burns
05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Lee, in my opinion this is the best one of your "Triangle Series" yet. This one is very graceful:) :)

Joe Tonich
05-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah....what Keith said. :D

SWEET! :)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Lee, your triangular items are absolutely gorgeous. This one as well. Oh, and I never get tired of looking at other's work... :)

Dick Parr
05-30-2006, 2:31 PM
Great job Lee, that is an interesting form. Very nice.

Rich Stewart
05-30-2006, 3:13 PM
Looks like you are on your way to hat making. Don't look that much different. I like these pieces and am going to give it a go soon. I just started making small saucer types out of pieces of cut offs from boards. Not much different from what you got there except they are square. Always enjoy seeing your stuff.

John Hart
05-30-2006, 3:20 PM
Tired of them? Hardly. I think you've identified a unique shape and application and you're doing a phenomenal job with it Lee. Personally, I want to give them a shot as well.

Wes Bischel
05-30-2006, 3:24 PM
Is anybody besides me getting tired of these yet?

Nope - I really like them - keep 'em comin'!

Wes

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2006, 3:26 PM
The only thing tiring about them is that you are doing so much better than me!:rolleyes: Excellent work Lee! Keep 'em coming!

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2006, 8:26 PM
Nice job Lee. That is a different looking bowl. I like the form.

Barry Stratton
05-31-2006, 3:14 AM
I'm tired of looking at MY work..... Yours? Keep the triangles of death coming!

Blake McCully
05-31-2006, 7:01 AM
Hi Lee. Great triangle. I've made a number of triangular shaped boxes. I do it on four centers. Is that how you did that? Just curious.

Keep 'em comin'.

Lee DeRaud
05-31-2006, 10:39 AM
I've made a number of triangular shaped boxes. I do it on four centers. Is that how you did that? Just curious.Nope. I turn it the same way everybody does square plates/bowls...the only difference is preparing the blank, since the precision of the shape is critical to the edges coming out right:

1. Make a template of the outer shape from 1/4" MDF. I do this on the computer and cut it with the laser, but it can be done by hand, just takes a lot longer.
2. Rough-saw the blank on the bandsaw/whatever, then use the template with a router and a flush-trim bit to get it perfect. The template includes a small hole at the "rotational center" (for lack of a better term) to get the faceplate or waste-block at the right place.

I'm curious about your method though: I think I see how it works, but isn't balance an issue? Do you turn the whole thing triangular on the first three centers and then cut the body and lid apart to hollow the inside?

John Miliunas
05-31-2006, 10:45 AM
No, I'm not getting tired of them, Lee! This last one is one of your best yet and, as a matter of fact, I like it (and the rest of them) so much that, I may even try my hand at one! :eek: :D Great job! :) :cool:

Blake McCully
06-01-2006, 7:01 AM
I'm curious about your method though: I think I see how it works, but isn't balance an issue? Do you turn the whole thing triangular on the first three centers and then cut the body and lid apart to hollow the inside?
Lee,
Yep, that's the way. Yes balance is an issue, but I turn my lathe way down and that helps with that problem. After I turn it triagular(?), I separate it and hollow top and bottom. Then, since I haven't yet removed the tenons, I put it together and re-turn the three out board centers again. Regardless of how careful and cautiously you turn these, the sides are really NEVER exact therefore, careful observation of the grain is important to make sure that it is lined up correctly. In order to try to keep everything in tune, take the box off the lathe, check the thickness of each side and just kinda touch up any side that is out of whack. After that's done then you're ready to finish it up. Being that it is three sided, hand sanding is out of the question, so a little power sanding helps. You have to be careful when power sanding so you don't knock off the edges.

If I get one of those "round tuits" today, I'll post some pics, cause as Tyler says, if you can't see it, it didn't happen.

Later.