PDA

View Full Version : Scrap storage. How do you keep it?

Julio Navarro
05-30-2006, 10:49 AM
I want to build something to store scraps and long pieces of left over scrap wood.

How do you guys deal with scrap wood?

tod evans
05-30-2006, 10:51 AM
piles `till i`m sick of it then dumpster....02 tod

Jim Becker
05-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Longer, still-usable material goes up in the lumber rack or in between ceiling the joists. Shorter material (3-4') goes on another wall rack or in a metal trash can designed for the purpose. Anything shorter becomes kindling (if solid stock) or goes in the trash...it's just not work keeping around.

Ken Salisbury
05-30-2006, 11:12 AM
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/fire.gif

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Underfoot is my preferred location. I figure that one day my wife will get some insurance money.

Julio Navarro
05-30-2006, 11:29 AM
hahaha! Good Idea, Ken!

Brian Hale
05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
In the shop..... Actually, All over the shop :rolleyes:

Brian :)

Mark Pruitt
05-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Now that I'm finished ROFL at Ken's response (PRICELESS!!!).....

I simply stack 'em in a corner. Ever so often I will thin out the stack. The problem is in believing that I will actually USE some pieces that in my better moments I know are trash. Also, since beginning to practice at the lathe, I will look at a small scrap piece and think, hmmm...maybe I can practice on this one.....You should see the pile beneath my lathe.:rolleyes:

Jeff Horton
05-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Lumber rack for long pieces. (Grocery store shelves. VERY strong!)

Built an extension table for my RAS and I made two shelves under there. Use this for 'useful' cutoff storage.

Useless pieces I use the 'piling system' till I clean up then I burn them.

Larry Fox
05-30-2006, 12:06 PM
My method is a combination of Cliff and Ken's method.

Bob Childress
05-30-2006, 12:25 PM
LIsten you guys, Julio asked a serious question and deserves a serious answer. I had the same problem so I searched and found some plans in Shop Notes for building a multi-level storage bin--shorter pieces in front, longer pieces behind.

I built it.
I filled it.
I built another.:)
I filled it.:mad:
I buried them both in piles of scrap.:o
I bought a trash can.:)
I filled it.:mad:
Used some for kindling--not much, warm winter, not many fires.:eek:
Built every possible silly jig I could out of all scrap.:confused:
Created more scrap.:eek:
Gave up.:o

Now, that's how a pro handles the problem.:D

(If I could just find those scrap bins again I know I could control it.)

John M. Cioffi
05-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Hi Julie,
This is what I built,although you can scale it down to whatever size you need.It is on wheels to move around,but I have it in a corner,where it probably will not be moved. Let us know what you decide on.

John M. Cioffi
05-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Sorry Julie,
I'm having problems uploading the pic. maybe one of the Moderators can help.
John:(

Steve Clardy
05-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Variuos shelves through out the shop. By the SCMS, by the radial arm saw, etc.
And I always have a plastic 55 gallon drum by the SCMS, for cut off scraps, which get moved outside when full, then brought back in when woodstove heating season starts.

Julio Navarro
05-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I keep all scrap so my son can practice his woodworking. This weekend he made a shadow frame he was very proud of. He learned to use the BP and how to mark and plan his project. He's 8 and we spent all weekend in the shop together working. Was the best weekend in the shop I've had yet.

The only problem is that I have alot of scrap all over the place and I dont want to throw it away so he can use it.

BTW, here's a pic of him helping me build my new bench. Imagine how proud I was that he is interested.

and here is his brother waiting for a bath(jk)

Julio Navarro
05-30-2006, 12:55 PM
just an FYI (understand the confusion) its Julio, not Julie, like in Julio Iglesias.

Byron Trantham
05-30-2006, 1:28 PM
I have a multi-tiered rack the garage and one in the shop for long stuff. The really thin stuff is kept in four yellow bird seed bucket I collected years ago. Frankly, it's surprising to me how often I use some of the stuff.:p

Frank Fusco
05-30-2006, 1:29 PM
A pile here. A pile there. Some on shelves. Other stuff in an old garbage can. Big stack in garage. Some under the stairwell. Wadda ya mean 'scrap'? It's precious wood wating to be built or turned. :rolleyes:

Christian Aufreiter
05-30-2006, 6:00 PM
Currently, I store scrap in 4 plastic buckets. Not to forget that several larger boards are lying on the workbench. I plan to build a mobile scrap box from OSB in order to get things more organized.

Regards,

Christian

Per Swenson
05-30-2006, 6:07 PM
Fireplace, barbecue, kids campfire,

Sure, But of course everytime I am set to strike a match....

Here comes Bob Swenson. What Are you doing son!

gimme that he sez. we can use that he sez. Glue blocks he sez.

carvewright he sez. If the fire marshall ever gets aload of the side of my house....

Per

Jim Hager
05-30-2006, 6:20 PM
I have a large roll around cart that I put plywood drops in. I sorta keep them arranged (loosely) and I have developed a habit of checking the drop cart before cutting into a new sheet. I get lots and lots of use from the drops especially when building flat panel doors or drawer bottoms and then I always point to that cart when somebody comes over and asks for scrap. My project pricing system always counts plywood in full sheets so that anything left over is simply considered a drop even though it may get me well into the next project.

I of course occasionally empty the cart of seldom used and material that is too small. My solid stock goes either back on the rack if long enough or behind the mitre saw on the table stacked vertically so that I can see what I've got. Like with the ply cart I always check there before cutting into another unused board.

I also have an old bread delivery truck cart (tall vertical cart with lots of slide in shelving) that I use to keep extra style stock in for builing rp doors. Like the others I always check there before cutting into unused stock to make more. Once in a while I will clear that thing off and use the material to glue up panels for doors. Lots of glue joints but they still make great doors.

Not that scientific of a method but it works pretty good for me

Todd Hoyle
05-30-2006, 8:06 PM
I have several places for scrap... Long 2x4 type go into a rack I made that hangs from the rafters. I have a vertical plywood rack for plywood pieces. Then there is a smaller 2'x3' rack that I put thin 4' or under pieces (1"x6"x4' 2"x4"x4', et...) in that stand up. Lastly, I have a small wooden box (2'x2'x2') for the smallest scraps I want to save... for turning pens etc.....

glenn bradley
05-30-2006, 8:08 PM
http://www.bhg.com/bhg/store/product.jhtml?catid=cat130072&prodid=prodwp00135

Jeremy Gibson
05-30-2006, 10:34 PM
I keep most of my scrap leaned against my wife's '67 Mustang. It's not running and just sitting in one half of my two car garage. I also store most of the dust on the Mustang. It's my evil plan to eventuallly hear "ok, just build that darn workshop and get this stuff off my car!"

It hasn't worked yet :mad:

Todd Hoyle
05-30-2006, 10:38 PM
That is TOOOO funny Jeremy!!!

Jesse Cloud
05-30-2006, 10:47 PM
I have a rolling cart that I toss scrap into. Every Tuesday (trash guy comes Wednesday) I do triage on the cart and try to toss at least half.

Every Thursday I curse Why did I throw that away? Its just what I need.

Seriously, if you are doing fine woodworking, the chances you will find something in that scrap pile thats a good match for another piece are very, very small. Consider the pile a good stash for stickering pieces, stop blocks, glue blocks and other secondary uses. Don't fall in love with it.

And yes, I'll confess I have a beautiful little, tiny piece of quilted maple that's been waiting for a home for about ten years. Maybe its time to let go....;)

Allen Bookout
05-30-2006, 10:50 PM
I keep all scrap so my son can practice his woodworking. This weekend he made a shadow frame he was very proud of. He learned to use the BP and how to mark and plan his project. He's 8 and we spent all weekend in the shop together working. Was the best weekend in the shop I've had yet.
Julio,

That is the best use of a shop that I have ever seen. I think that it is just TERRIFIC. You are one lucky guy to have a son that loves being out in the shop with you!!!

And he must have a gread Dad to work with him.

Allen

Greg Koch
05-30-2006, 11:49 PM
My supply is all "scrap"....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_wood1.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/wood1.jpg)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/th_IMG_2517.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v165/kgregc/Woodworking/IMG_2517.jpg)

All from the scrap boxes at the local cedar lumberyard.

The real scrap stuff after cutting gets put in a plastic tub, then put in for recycling.

Steve Clardy
05-31-2006, 12:12 AM
I keep most of my scrap leaned against my wife's '67 Mustang. It's not running and just sitting in one half of my two car garage. I also store most of the dust on the Mustang. It's my evil plan to eventuallly hear "ok, just build that darn workshop and get this stuff off my car!"

It hasn't worked yet :mad:

Ok. I hear Henry Ford speaking to me about this Mustang in-the-way problem you have. [I'm a Ford Fan and have regular talks with him:rolleyes: ;) ]

Dear ol' Henry told me, remove offending wood, wooddust.
Cover Mustang with heavy tarps.:D [Gotta take care of it;) ]
Surround mustang-in-the-way with ALL your scraps, offcuts.
Go to the nearest sawmill facility, haul home 2-3 huge pickup loads of chips, dust.
Cover entire area around, on top of in-the-way Mustang.
Create new plans for new woodshop:D .Hide those for now.;)

Call wife to the garage.:cool:
You may have the ok for a new shop shortly afterwards, or a skillet mark on yer noggin.:eek:

Todd Hoyle
05-31-2006, 12:13 AM
I have a rolling cart that I toss scrap into. Every Tuesday (trash guy comes Wednesday) I do triage on the cart and try to toss at least half.

Every Thursday I curse Why did I throw that away? Its just what I need.

Seriously, if you are doing fine woodworking, the chances you will find something in that scrap pile thats a good match for another piece are very, very small. Consider the pile a good stash for stickering pieces, stop blocks, glue blocks and other secondary uses. Don't fall in love with it.

And yes, I'll confess I have a beautiful little, tiny piece of quilted maple that's been waiting for a home for about ten years. Maybe its time to let go....;)
I'll take that small piece of quilted maple for a pen stock... :cool:

Julio Navarro
05-31-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks Allen for the compliment. I have been truely blessed with fine sons and wonderfull daughter.