PDA

View Full Version : made a backsaw over the weekend

Kurt Loup
05-30-2006, 9:36 AM
I finished a backsaw this weekend. The back is two layers of 1/8" x 3/4" brass epoxied to the blade. The handle is mystery wood that appears to be walnut, but I was told it was from Japan. The handle is finished with shellac and wax. The blade is .020 blued spring steel from McMaster Carr. I made the split nut driver from O1 steel. I didn't harden it as it seems harder than the brass as it is. I need practice cutting 16 ppi teeth. They didn't come out very uniform. Since I will be using this saw to cut the slot for the blade into handles of other saws I will make, I didn't set the teeth. I used the blade to cut the slot in this handle so it cuts ok. The next saw I make will not have as fine of teeth so I can practice on coarser teeth. It was a satisfying project and I look forward to making more saws as I purchased enough materials to make about 5 saws.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/sitebuilder/images/backsaw-600x315.jpg

Aaron Kline
05-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Very nice saw. The handle sure looks like the walnut I buy locally. Either way she's a beaut.

Steve Clardy
05-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Looks great!!!

Chris Barton
05-30-2006, 5:00 PM
Hiya Kurt!

That's a great looking saw! I like the blue steel and would like to hear back how it holds up under use. The handle looks kind of like walnut but, how really knows? Anyways, it is a great project and very well done!

Kurt Loup
05-30-2006, 9:25 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Chris, so far on the practice cuts, the bluing has held up. However, it can be sanded off if it starts to look bad. I'm off to the shop to start on a handle for the 12" saw.

Kurt

Harry Rosal
05-31-2006, 11:47 AM
I finished a backsaw this weekend. The back is two layers of 1/8" x 3/4" brass epoxied to the blade.

Hey! i also made a backsaw and epoxied the brass in place. The epoxy was specially for metals (steel filled) and when it cured, the brass-steel-brass sandwich was rigor mortis stiff. I was worried that it would not be since the saw has no spine. (I used 2mm thick brass.)

I think on my second saw, i'll just use regular epoxy- the thin, slower setting kind so i can fully squeeze out excess glue. The brass-steel-brass veneer looks pretty when viewed on top- what with the contrasting colors and thickness.

Kurt Loup
05-31-2006, 12:11 PM
Harry,

I used Raka brand epoxy that I use for boat building applications. I thickened the epoxy with colloidal silica so that it was thick enough not to run. I used spring clamps to hold the assembly together while the epoxy cured. You are right, the back is stiff.

Kurt

Alan DuBoff
05-31-2006, 2:30 PM
Looks excellent Kurt. Nice split-nut driver also!

Lars Thomas
05-31-2006, 2:45 PM
Great looking saw.