PDA

View Full Version : Walnut ort bowl............

Michael Stafford
05-30-2006, 7:53 AM
As a preface to this thread let me say I am not interested in turning hollow forms. I do not know how to turn hollow forms. I have never turned a hollow form................

Ort is defined as a scrap, a leaving, a leftover. My wife does needlepoint and as a result with each thread she uses there is a small scrap that is just too short to use as it is not long enough to accommodate the length of the needle. This tag end must be weaved into the back of the canvas and must be undetectable if one is to do quality needlework. The last remaining scrap of this piece, the ort, is then clipped off with tiny needlepoint scissors. These orts are hoarded by needle pointers like something of great value.

My wife took me to a website where little bowls, hollow forms and such are being sold at extraordinarily high prices which are used by needle pointers to collect their orts. I mean folks they are charging from $60-$75 for these little bowls and the craftsmanship leaves a lot to be desired.

By taking me to this site my wife gave me orders that I must create her an ort bowl and this is my first attempt. It is made from a bit of curly walnut and finished up at 2 1/4" in diameter and 1 7/8" tall. I need smaller tools and forceps with more curve to adequately shape and sand the interior of this little bowl. It is less than 1/8" in most places....

I would like to reiterate; I do not do hollow forms, never will.....:o ;)

John Hart
05-30-2006, 7:57 AM
That's a beautiful little non-Hollowform that you didn't do Big Mike!! :rolleyes: Ort Collecting...hmmm. I might have to try that!:)

John Miliunas
05-30-2006, 8:05 AM

Yeah. Right. Just like you don't do turned boxes!!! :eek: I suppose all of those are just pigments of my imancipation, right??? :eek: :D

'Ya done good on the HF ort bowl, Mike!!! :) Great form and finish and, I'm sure it will do the job just fine for the LOYL. Let us know how you make out in spinning and selling more of them!!! (You know you will!!!:D) :cool:

doug webb
05-30-2006, 8:21 AM
I am sorry to hear you don't do hollow forms. With this as an example, I am sure we are all missing out on some wonderful work.

Corey Hallagan
05-30-2006, 8:36 AM
That's great looking Mike and a neat little story!

corey

Michael Stafford
05-30-2006, 8:37 AM
'Ya done good on the HF ort bowl, Mike!!! :) Great form and finish and, I'm sure it will do the job just fine for the LOYL. Let us know how you make out in spinning and selling more of them!!! (You know you will!!!:D) :cool:

John, I am doomed. My wife has already said that I will, I repeat, will be creating more ort bowls as gifts for her needle point friends.

There is pot of gold at the end of this rainbow. I will be allowed to buy whatever tools I need to turn these little scrap, er, ort bowls. I am almost certain that I will need a Oneway 2436....

As far as selling...I have never turned anything like this before and I was able to complete it in less than an hour. How does $60+ an hour sound???;) I may be able to afford retirement after all!:p :D

Bernie Weishapl
05-30-2006, 8:43 AM
Mike that is awesome. I like the form of it. Nice work.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2006, 9:12 AM
Cute little HF Big Mike! It is indeed nice to know that in your neck of the woods....SWMBO operates like mine.....She WILL be obeyed!

Lee DeRaud
05-30-2006, 10:46 AM
I suppose just giving her a 18-gallon Rubbermaid bin (like the one you probably store your "orts" in) and saying, "Here, fill it up!", was completely out of the question?

(Why, yes, I am single...why do you ask? :cool: )

Nice non-hollowform, BTW.:D

Michael Stafford
05-30-2006, 11:05 AM
I suppose just giving her a 18-gallon Rubbermaid bin (like the one you probably store your "orts" in) and saying, "Here, fill it up!", was completely out of the question?

(Why, yes, I am single...why do you ask? :cool: )

If I were to give my wife an 18 gallon Rubbermaid bin for her orts I also would be single and more than likely bruised....:p :eek: :D

Keith Burns
05-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Definately a keeper Big (I never turned a HF before) Mike:) :) .

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Nice ort bowl there, Mike (I'll refrain from calling it a hollow form). Just be careful---as the hole gets smaller and smaller, and the form squatter and squatter, you may not be able to avoid calling them hollow forms for very long... :)

Hmm... I wonder why they're called "orts"? Never heard that one from my mother the fiber artist...

John Hart
05-30-2006, 12:06 PM
Hmm... I wonder why they're called "orts"? Never heard that one from my mother the fiber artist...

I know there's an oort cloud just outside our solar system that has comets and stuff. It extends out about 3 light years away. Probably has something to do with that cloud.;)

...or maybe not.:o

Lee DeRaud
05-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Hmm... I wonder why they're called "orts"?"Ort" = "leftover", at least on crossword puzzles. This is the first time I've ever seen the word out in public, so to speak.

Jim Becker
05-30-2006, 2:42 PM
That ort'a get you started on something else profitable! Nice job... :D ...a very pleasing form that still says, "Big Mike made me!"

Jim Ketron
05-30-2006, 3:53 PM
looks like a HOLLOW FORM to me Big Mike!:p
Too late we have all seen it now:D
Nice job on that HOLLOW FORM:D

Chris Barton
05-30-2006, 5:04 PM
I like it! I orta make some of those!

Jerry Olexa
05-30-2006, 5:50 PM
I'm not qualified to judge, but that is nice work..ortn't you proud:D

Michael Stafford
05-30-2006, 6:17 PM
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate all the orty comments.

Jimbo, go ahead and convince yourself of it. I ain't turning hollow forms. I don't even know how......:p ;)

Don Orr
05-30-2006, 7:15 PM
Very nice Mike-you ORT to be proud of that one! :D Good luck with the production run.

Travis Stinson
05-30-2006, 7:28 PM
That's one sweet non-hollow form ..............

Mr. "I Don't Do Hollow Forms":p

Christopher K. Hartley
05-30-2006, 7:36 PM
As a preface to this thread let me say I am not interested in turning hollow forms. I do not know how to turn hollow forms. I have never turned a hollow form................

Don't ya just hate it when someone who"ort" to be doin hollow forms because they seem so good at it, just doesn't want to do them? What a crime.:( Michael the form is too good to say it isn't, sorry.

George Conklin
05-30-2006, 8:14 PM
There is pot of gold at the end of this rainbow. I will be allowed to buy whatever tools I need to turn these little scrap, er, ort bowls. I am almost certain that I will need a Oneway 2436....

Work it, baby! Work it!

Wasn't Ort the name of the robot in "The Day The Earth Stood Still":confused:

Michael Stafford
05-30-2006, 8:21 PM
Work it, baby! Work it!

Wasn't Ort the name of the robot in "The Day The Earth Stood Still":confused:

I believe he was Gort....Klatu barada nikto.....

George Conklin
05-30-2006, 8:25 PM
Ort,,, Gort,,,I was close.
What is odd is that you remember the script:eek: :D :D

Mark Cothren
05-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Nice hollow form, Big Mike!!! You can call it tomato, to-mah-to, or 'mater... it's still a HOLLOW FORM!

You, my friend, have just entered the next level of the vortex...

Barry Stratton
05-31-2006, 3:22 AM
didn't know "orts" were such cute looking hollow shaped non-hollow forms. Great job Big Mike.

Vaughn McMillan
05-31-2006, 4:38 AM
It's not a hollow form...it's a little plate with a severely rolled edge. ;) Nicely done, whatever you call it, Big Mike.

- Vaughn

David Fried
05-31-2006, 9:00 AM
It's not a hollow form...it's a little plate with a severely rolled edge. ;) Nicely done, whatever you call it, Big Mike.

- Vaughn

Vaughn's got the right idea - it's a box sans lid! Very pretty considering you forgot the lid :D

Mike Ramsey
05-31-2006, 12:01 PM
That's the best looking Ort I've ever seen!!