PDA

View Full Version : Holding wood while chainsawing

Jeff Horton
05-30-2006, 7:27 AM
I have a trailer load of "wanna be" turning blanks. Sweetgum, some spalted and some fresh cut black cherry. I have to start cutting these up in the next couple of days. I have a lot of problems holding the blank while I try to split them in half. Rather than reinvent the wheel I thought I would ask if someone has devised a good stand to hold the log while they split it?

I have an idea for a sort of saw horse. I am thinking of an X shape that raises the log up to comfortable height. The log (when I say log I am talking 10"-18" length) would lay in the V and so I could split the log. Turning it over before I hit bottom and saw the other side. Our maybe if I made the V shallow enough it would hold the log up so I could saw through and not hit the horse.

Anyone got something that works?

Jason Roehl
05-30-2006, 7:36 AM
Here's a good little tutorial on how one of the best (IMHO) does it:

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/logcutting.html

I don't know that an 'x' shape would be what you want, unless it is a very flat one. Otherwise, I would think that the way the log sits in the X would cause the kerf to close up as you get near the bottom. Just my thoughts, but I've not tried it (it could work, I suppose).

Jeff Horton
05-30-2006, 8:05 AM
I have tried Bills method and I can't keep the logs from rolling around. Can't keep it wedged. They vibrate out of place and I end up with the log rolling on me.

Was thinking about it closing up and pinching the blade too.

Pete Jordan
05-30-2006, 8:21 AM
This is a stand that Stu emailed me. I built it and it works great!

Pete
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip33.htm

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-30-2006, 8:44 AM
I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this, but this guy's sawing platform in really good....

Laymar Crafts Sawing Platform (http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip33.htm)

(Go to the site and read the notes on using it)

I sure hope this is not against the TOS, as this is a very good stand, and it looks like it would work well, and could save someone's leg from a chainsaw bite....

Is this what you are looking for Jeff?

Cheers!

David Fried
05-30-2006, 8:56 AM
I didn't see Bill's site but do something similar. I cut a couple of slabs off the end of the log to put the pieces on and wedge it from both sides.

Jeff Horton
05-30-2006, 9:03 AM
Thanks Stu and Pete. I like that a lot. I remember seeing that once but had forgotten about it and obviously didn't save the link. That should work good. I may have enough scraps to build one.

Steve Clardy
05-30-2006, 9:13 AM
I guess its the redneck in me, but I don't understand why a stand is necessary. I've cut too much firewood [same process] over the years. Crosscut and rip cut [when they were too knotty to split].

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2006, 9:22 AM
In you Clardy...........probably is the redneck!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Mark Cothren
05-30-2006, 9:37 AM
Jim Ketron just built one that folds up and travels... looks/sounds like it works pretty good. Maybe he'll post a pic here for us...:D

Wes Bischel
05-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Jeff,

I was having a similar issue - and since I haven't used a chainsaw all that much I was concerned I was "doing it wrong". After asking around, I ended up placing the blank on a couple pieces of firewood to keep it from rolling. Then start the cut at the base of the chainsaw bar - so the blank "butts" against the saw body (the area with the little spikes on it at the base of the bar) - that was the key for me - then the blank is "held" in place by the saw. If this makes sense.

Once I got that down, I went through about 20 little (8-10" dia) blanks in a few minutes and none of them squirmed around at all. It took more time to move and stack than it did to cut.:rolleyes:

Caveat: If you experienced guys see something wrong let me (and Jeff) know. It seemed OK and safe to me.

Wes

Bill Grumbine
05-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I have tried Bills method and I can't keep the logs from rolling around. Can't keep it wedged. They vibrate out of place and I end up with the log rolling on me.

Was thinking about it closing up and pinching the blade too.

Hi Jeff

One of the key "accessories" to making my method work is a pile of shavings from previous cutting sessions, or several off cuts, again from a previous session. All it takes is a little scrap of crescent shaped wood to hold a very large piece in place while you make the cuts. It may be that the wedges you are using are too big to fit snugly against the piece being cut. I have tried stands of several sorts, and they usually don't work for me, mostly because I am cutting wood that is huge. For example, I just came in from hacking up a 33" diameter walnut log that has been sitting in the field. Ain't no way I am getting that up on a stand! :eek:

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Bill

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-30-2006, 12:25 PM
............ For example, I just came in from hacking up a 33" diameter walnut log............
From almost anyone else, I'd call that a "Stealth Gloat" but from you Bill, it is just another day at the office.......... ;) :D

No hurry up and get that second DVD done!! :D

Cheers!

Steve Clardy
05-30-2006, 12:30 PM
In you Clardy...........probably is the redneck!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

:o :o :D :D :D ;)

Steve Clardy
05-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Jeff,

I was having a similar issue - and since I haven't used a chainsaw all that much I was concerned I was "doing it wrong". After asking around, I ended up placing the blank on a couple pieces of firewood to keep it from rolling. Then start the cut at the base of the chainsaw bar - so the blank "butts" against the saw body (the area with the little spikes on it at the base of the bar) - that was the key for me - then the blank is "held" in place by the saw. If this makes sense.

Once I got that down, I went through about 20 little (8-10" dia) blanks in a few minutes and none of them squirmed around at all. It took more time to move and stack than it did to cut.:rolleyes:

Caveat: If you experienced guys see something wrong let me (and Jeff) know. It seemed OK and safe to me.

Wes

Exactly. Thats how I do it. No wedges, stands, just me, log, and chainsaw [24" bar];) :D

Gary Max
05-30-2006, 2:15 PM
I vote for cut them in half and move on.
Looks like cutting them 4 times is a whole lot of extra work which makes the job more dangerous.
Must be that redneck thing.

Jim Ketron
05-30-2006, 4:23 PM
Here is one I just made.
After all day bending over cutting the back gets kinda sore, so I wanted something to elevate my logs off the ground, from the normal two logs together and laying one on top of them to cut! So I made a fold up one from some shipping lumber and a few lag bolts, deck screws and some large washers. It's portable so I can take the saw bucks to the sites and do most all of my cutting there rather than bringing them home and making a huge mess at home!
I lay some cut off pith pieces on the runners to keep the chain from cutting them off. very simple to make and if it lasts a year or so just take the hardware off and make another should only take about 30 min to construct.
Here it is Folded up
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/100_2235.jpg

Openhttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/100_2236.jpg

And ready for business
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/Jim_k/Jim%20K%20Turnings/100_2238.jpg

Wes Bischel
05-30-2006, 5:54 PM
Once again Jim, another elegant solution - I may have to make one of those as well!!

Wes

Andy Hoyt
06-02-2006, 5:47 PM
Well - here's my entry. I don't much care for chainsawing on the ground since I'm really really good at finding rocks and other implements of dulling.

This was free and took about thirty seconds to make. Works like a charm.

Steve Clardy
06-02-2006, 5:59 PM
Well - here's my entry. I don't much care for chainsawing on the ground since I'm really really good at finding rocks and other implements of dulling.

This was free and took about thirty seconds to make. Works like a charm.

Andy. You haven't removed the rock finder attachment yet:confused: :rolleyes: ;)

Jeff Horton
06-02-2006, 8:31 PM
Jim, just about what I had in my mind. I like it.

Andy, I have a large pecan log I am using to cut on, I could probably do that to is really easy. When it spalts I could use it for entertaining Ms. Ruby.

What ever I do I need to get it up off the ground. My back just kills me otherwise. After a while I walk humped over like an old man.

John Shuk
06-02-2006, 10:39 PM
I've got one much like Jim's. Works great.