PDA

View Full Version : puhkahn fun box

doug webb
05-30-2006, 6:07 AM
I didn't want to get in trouble posting a pic of flat work in the turning forum, but wanted to show Ray Overmond some of my "home style" spalted puhkahn. I havebeen given a lot of spalted wood but this log I recieved green and left laying on the ground exposed to weather for about a year. I would roll it over every once in a while. I dried it inside for a month or so before bandsawing it. Several more months of shop drying with stickers befor using. Thanks for looking. doug

Tony Ward
05-30-2006, 7:36 AM
A quick question, why do you call it a puhkahn fun box? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=371440#post371440)

I enjoy working with spalted timber.

I am not sure whether it is a "urban myth" or fact that when moistened the spores, which lie dormant in the spalted timber, can become re-activated and cause lung damage?

Chris Barton
05-30-2006, 7:37 AM
A quick question, why do you call it a puhkahn fun box? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=371440#post371440)

I am not sure whether it is a "urban myth" or fact that when moistened the spores, which lie dormant in the spalted timber, can become re-activated and cause lung damage?

Urban myth.

John Miliunas
05-30-2006, 8:12 AM
Doug, Doug, Doooooooug....FLATWORK???? :eek: That don't look nuttin' like a turned anything to me! :eek: BUT, it is a great looking box, so I'll let you slide this time! :D I've done a fair amount of smaller projects similar to that in Spalted Maple and they're always a hit. Did our main bathroom a while back in Ambrosia Maple, which also had a tad of spalting in it, as well. Really adds character to the wood, IMHO. Good job, Doug! :) Now, get your butt back to the lathe, wouldchya???!!! :D :cool:

John Timberlake
05-30-2006, 8:27 AM
Nice looking box. I always like the patterns you get from spalting.

doug webb
05-30-2006, 8:37 AM

On the turning forum, I posted pics of pecan goblets, { thread 'more pecan fun'}.
Someone asked if I called it pee-can or puhkahn. That is why this box was called that. It was made from spalted pecan. Thanks for looking.....doug

Helen Gee
05-30-2006, 2:33 PM
I love the spalting on the wood. It adds a lot of visual appeal to the box and gives the box another dimension to look at!!

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-30-2006, 3:03 PM
Nice box.

The spores: They may indeed be able to survive for fery long periods without water. However I rather suspect that the worst thing that might happen is the spalting process will continue and eventually you'd have a pile of really nice compost where once stood a pretty box.
If the reactivation of fungus or on-going molding process troubles you pop the wood in the oven for a few hours at any temprature over 212-F.

However I gotta when I say the "puhkahn" the forst thing that went through my mind was that it may hhave been a creative attempt to spell fuc- oh never mind.

Chip Charnley
05-30-2006, 3:56 PM
Puhkahn is maybe phonetic pecan for those that pronounce the e as an a?

Michael Stafford
05-30-2006, 4:48 PM
That is a fine looking Puhkahn box. Peecan is something for nighttime use. Doug, I love the box. Very nice design and execution.:D