PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the Ridgid 2 1/4 HP router?

Allen Bookout
05-29-2006, 9:07 PM
I am thinking about getting another handheld router. I love my Milwaukee 5615 and was going to either get a Milwaukee 5616, Dewalt 618 kit or Bosch kit (I forget the model). I have a Dewalt 621 but do not really like it for use on the Akeda jig.

The deal is that I was at Homedepot a while ago to get a hands on feel for the Dewalt 618 and Bosch but they were bolted down and hard to tell anything about that way. Also bolted down was the new Ridgid 2 1/4 hp router.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Heavy-Duty-EVS-2-14-Peak-HP-Router-Combo/index.html

The Ridgid looked really good but looks can be deceiving. Has anyone actually used one of these yet? If so I would like to hear your opinion.

One reason that I am interested in this unit is that I recently bought the Ridgid 6" ROS (Metabo) sp? and really like it (OK guys, I know that it is not a Festool). I am so impressed with the ROS that I am now wondering if their router is up to that standard.

I could get the Milwaukee 5616 for $170 and add a PC type clear baseplate for another $15 (plus shipping) and now I am up to at least $185. The Ridgid sells for $199, plus tax (about $214 total), but includes the clear pc style baseplate and both the fixed and plunge bases. If the router is a quality product it seems like that it would be a good buy for $29 more than the Milwaukee.

Shouldn't buy anything from Homedepot if they are going to bolt down everything so that I cannot get a hands on feel. Oh well!

Thanks for any input!

Allen

Corey Hallagan
05-29-2006, 11:39 PM
Allen, I would just find someone to u nlock or take a new one out of a box and let you try the. I have the Dewalt DW 618 and I love it. It has this great low sqwatty feel that I just love! I will be interested in hearing how this Ridgid model stacks up!

Corey

Allen Bookout
05-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Corey,

The squatty feel is one of the things that I like about my Milwaukee and that is why I was considering the Dewalt 618. Glad to hear that you really like it. Will take that into consideration. The Ridgid is pretty tall and that part concerned me a bit because the Dewalt 621 that I have is also like that and was a little tippy untill I put the Pat Warner base on it. Other than that the Ridgid looked first class.

Allen

scott spencer
05-30-2006, 6:01 AM
Do you think you'll miss the BodyGrip?

Art Moore
05-30-2006, 6:17 AM
Allen,

I just bought the R2930 last week so I haven't had a chance to give it a really good workout yet, but so far I'm impressed. The "sold" point for me was, as you said, all the extra goodies the Ridgid included in their kit.

I like the above-table adjustment feature on the fixed base; that puppy's got a lot of travel, and "slop" in the adjustment is... well, it's just not there! Also, The router is small enough (with the fixed-base handles removed) that it'll fit into a very small insert in the table surface. My plate is only 7 x 7 which greatly reduces the chances of sagging. The collett raises far enough above the plate so you can change bits without having to lift the router out or go below the table. Power? Plenty of it from what I've seen so far.

The only things I can think of that Ridgid could have done different? The plunge lever is a tad sloppy (but I haven't tried to adjust it yet), and I see the need for yet another sub-base because they've put a round sub-base on a router with a nice flat side which just begs to be used against a guide or fence!

Just my $0.02, adjusted for inflation of course! :D

Julio Navarro
05-30-2006, 9:27 AM
I saw that Rigid router also and was wondering the same thing.

I have a Hitachi and I am really happy with it. I was planning on getting the plunge base with it till I saw the Ridgid this past weekend.

I like that Hitachi isnt a BORG brand like Ridgid, although Ridgids are well built regardless.

Gary Sostrin
05-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Last Friday I talked with customer service and got the manual in pdf sent to me. It was not on their website. Also talked with their tech guy and found out that the template guide whole is slightly bigger then the PC which I confirmed today at Home Depot. And yes they were nice enogh to unscrew it from the display rack. Also the tech guy was unsure that the product development guys would make a router guide bushing kit for it. The manual references a router guide bushing kit, and a butt hinge templet set and no part number. It does have part numbers for the edge guide assembly ( 300869006) and a plunge depth adjustment knob extension (200438001). It also falls under the lifetime warranty if registered, as I was told at HD

Also I emailed Pat Warner to see if he could make a template which could take a PC bushing kit today (I just bought and received the PC4212 on sale).

Gary

Allen Bookout
05-31-2006, 12:51 AM
Yes Scott, I like the body grip for sure. Would miss it.

I am shocked that the router plate will not accept PC bushings! It is a nice thick clear plate and what a shame to have to throw it away and put another one on it. Same thing with the Milwaukees though except their bases are not see through clear. May be Ridgid thinks they will make more money selling a set of bushings to fit this thing. That kind of makes me a little mad.

I guess that we will just stand by and see how it performs otherwise.

Allen

Jeff Caskie
05-31-2006, 11:37 AM

I am shocked that the router plate will not accept PC bushings! It is a nice thick clear plate and what a shame to have to throw it away and put another one on it. Same thing with the Milwaukees though except their bases are not see through clear. May be Ridgid thinks they will make more money selling a set of bushings to fit this thing. That kind of makes me a little mad.

Allen

I read on another forum that the PC bushings fit the ridgid router perfectly. I was not able to find the thread to reference though. It was either the forum on bt3central.com or ridgid.com.

Jeff Caskie
05-31-2006, 2:20 PM
I read on another forum that the PC bushings fit the ridgid router perfectly. I was not able to find the thread to reference though. It was either the forum on bt3central.com or ridgid.com.

My apologies. As I think about this some more... it was the PC edge guide that fits the ridgid router (which doesn't come with one). Sorry for the confusion...

Allen Bookout
05-31-2006, 2:22 PM
Thanks Jeff! Allen

Jeff Caskie
05-31-2006, 4:20 PM
Thanks Jeff! Allen
no problem. Here is the link (http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52402&postcount=50) I was thinking of...

Art Moore
05-31-2006, 5:23 PM

Allen

OK, now I'm confused :confused:
I also definitely read that the R2930 sub-base accepted PC bushings (i.e., 1-3/16"). And, the hole in my R2930 sub-base measures 1-3/16"... exactly.

Allen Bookout
05-31-2006, 10:26 PM
OK, now I'm confused :confused:
I also definitely read that the R2930 sub-base accepted PC bushings (i.e., 1-3/16"). And, the hole in my R2930 sub-base measures 1-3/16"... exactly.
Art, My comments are based on what Gary Sostrin had to say in one of the post above. I would have to take a bushing down to HD and have them open a new package or unscrew the one on display to test it. The only problem is that then I would feel obligated to buy it after them going to that trouble.

Here is what Gary had to say: "Gary Sostrin Last Friday I talked with customer service and got the manual in pdf sent to me. It was not on their website. Also talked with their tech guy and found out that the template guide whole is slightly bigger then the PC which I confirmed today at Home Depot. And yes they were nice enogh to unscrew it from the display rack. Also the tech guy was unsure that the product development guys would make a router guide bushing kit for it. The manual references a router guide bushing kit, and a butt hinge templet set and no part number. It does have part numbers for the edge guide assembly ( 300869006) and a plunge depth adjustment knob extension (200438001). It also falls under the lifetime warranty if registered, as I was told at HD

Also I emailed Pat Warner to see if he could make a template which could take a PC bushing kit today (I just bought and received the PC4212 on sale).

Gary"

That is all that I know about it. Allen

Gary Sostrin
05-31-2006, 11:31 PM
This is one of the cases that I hope I am wrong on so I can buy it.

Gary

Art Moore
06-01-2006, 5:48 AM
Art, My comments are based on what Gary Sostrin had to say in one of the post above. I would have to take a bushing down to HD and have them open a new package or unscrew the one on display to test it. The only problem is that then I would feel obligated to buy it after them going to that trouble.

<SNIP>

That is all that I know about it. Allen

I've been needing a set of bushings. I'll order a set and when they come in I'll post a report on whether or not they do fit. The part that really confuses me is that after doing some more research on PC bushings I'm seeing specs on some vendor sites that the PC bushing diameter is 1-1/8", or 1-3/16", or that you can use a 1-1/4" hole saw to make your own "PC-compatible" sub-bases... :confused:

HR masters
06-02-2006, 6:35 PM
I have a 2920 ridgid and the plusses as I see them: The fixed base is excellent, in my router table it adjusts easily and from above the table, also I can change bits from above the table. the motor seems to have plenty of power and the variable speed is a big plus. The plunge is an entirely differant story, it is very difficult to set plunge depth, and I have been frustrated by Ridgid trying to get info and the plunge depth adjustment knob extension or guide bushing kit. Trying to set plunge depth seems to take one more hand than I have. I plan on making some kind of holding jig because Ridgid won't take back the router on its 90 day money back guarantee because I can't return it packed exactly as I received it. If you buy one keep every piece of packing and paper work for Ridgid looks for ways to disallow their warranties. I would buy a PC because every possible accessory is available for a PC and if anything goes wrong PC will fix or replace it without a hassle. Just my observations hope it helps someone. HR

Rodney ORourke
06-02-2006, 8:05 PM
My Ridgid 2 1/4 HP router is compatible with the bushings I use in my Porter Cable Routers

Wow! These posts scared me. LOL. I ran to the shop to grab one of m bushing sets and it works fine with the bushing I use on my PC Routers. I did check to see if the base was compatible when I got it and thought maybe I had made a mistake. Wheeee!

I got the first one that arrived at the Home Depot near me in Atlanta and intend to use it with the SRK in the EZ Smart System coming on Monday / Tuesday. I personally do not like the newer Porter Cable bases and expressed this to our PC rep here in Atlanta. He told me the units get good reviews and basically in a polite way to have a nice day. lol. I did have a nice day, but still think the new bases feel very flimsy so replace them immediately on the recent PC routers, unless it is going to sit in jig with its own base.

On the problem setting the plunge depth mentioned earlier in this thread I must do something differently because this has not been an issue for me yet. I unlock - push bit to the max depth I want - lock - drop the stop slider and tighten and then will use the micro adjust to fine tune it as required for the task. The plunger spring seems fine too in my hands. The Vacs - 1 for the Plunger and one for the Fixed Base attach easily. Magnesium Body is light and seems solid.

At any rate seems pretty well built to me. So far I have no complaints but am sure I will eventually fine something that could be better. But so far no problems here. Time will tell the whole story and using it on different types of jobs and bits.

Allen Bookout
06-02-2006, 10:00 PM
My Ridgid 2 1/4 HP router is compatible with the bushings I use in my Porter Cable Routers I
That is good to know. I went to HD about 8:00 pm for something else and I saw one employee at the service desk when I walked in. Went down several rows, no employees. Went to the tool section to try the bushing fit and no employees in the tool section so could not try it because the Ridgid and the Dewalt as well were screwed to wood shelves. Well, forget that. Just for kicks moved the debth adjustment up and down on the Dewalt 618 and it felt a little loose so tryed it on the PC 890 I think it was (the one with the ring debth adjustment like the 618) and it was smooth as glass. Well no wonder it was smooth. Nothing was moving except the ring. No one around to help figure out what was wrong with that.

No use wasting more time so went to check out. Still 45 minutes before closing. One employee running a check out and fixing to close. One employee at the self check out area and not looking real excited. I do not know if I will be going back or not. When I do get ready to buy I think that I will just order a Milwaukee, Bosch or Dewalt. Who knows, may be even a PC just for kicks.

Sorry that I brough the whole subject up.

Allen

Rodney ORourke
06-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Hello Allen -

LOL. I so often feel the same and I know most , if not all, of the guys in tools - lumber - paint - flooring. It has happened to me. The new management is running the stores way to tight on people from my perspective. I have walked out more than once gritting my teeth and been forced to drive further to Lowes to get things like nitride gloves because Home Depot does not carry them.

That said most of the guys at my store have been around awhile and know their stock pretty well. I get the feeling they do not like the shortage of staffing anymore than we do because they catch the flack directly from the customers.

Our conversation is off track but it is a fact. I once left $400.00 worth of tools in the cart and walked out of Lowes because they could not find anyone in the tool department. This is the state of the new world of chain retailers.

Our conversation is off track but it is a fact & not completely off track because we have to go to Home Depot to get the router.

Rodney ORourke
06-03-2006, 1:32 AM
Allen I just finished 4 14 inch dado using a guide at about head height on the inside of a cabinet.

The Rigid handled beautifully, the vacuum hose did not get in my way and I had excellent visibility on all 4 runs. The Rigid never groaned and was extremely smooth feeling even though I was moving pretty fast. This baby has power to spare. Since the 4 dado were inside a cabinet I also got to enjoy the advantage of their built in light - it was great to see the line this well in a less than ideal lighting situation. The vacuum is as router vacs go, good - good enough to keep the dust out of my eyes and catch a good bit of it.

It felt good. My only criticism is that I cannot reach the on/off switch with my hands on the handle which means startup with one hand on the handle; but the router starts so smooth amd gently that Rigid router did not move on startup; even being held by only one hand in a vertical position resting on the guide. There had to be some torque present but I would be hard pressed to say I felt it.

I give Rigid a thumbs up on their first router - very decent and easy to hand guide for me.

Art Moore
06-03-2006, 6:22 AM
Allen,

Don't let the lack of bodies in a store scare you away from a good router. Personally I've been to at least 8 different HD stores and the customer service is only as good as the employees they've hired. I've had the experience you had, and I've had employees willing to go the extra mile to make sure you found exactly what you needed.

Rodney, thanks for clearing up the bushing confusion.

Some guys have said they can't find the accessories for the router yet. I'm assuming that it's because the router is still new and Ridgid's service department isn't geared up for it yet. For the plunge adjustment knob, I ended up ordering one of these http://m-and-d.com/RAC-200264001.html and the PC edge guide works just fine.

Rodney ORourke
06-03-2006, 1:55 PM
Hello Art -

You are welcome!

LOL. The paranoia on accessories is very wise given the number of routers that have been sold w/o PC compatibility and major missings on available accessories.

Art, I used the lighter PC Guide this morning with the Rigid in the the fixed base. It worked fine. The Rigid air vac accessory on the Fixed Base blocks the large track PC Guide that has the micro adjustment and it takes the slightly smaller diameter PC rods. The large track PC Cable guide will work without the VAC on the Rigid fixed base. hehe. Anyway, I am not sure I needed the VAC attachment after using it sp could have put a rod in for the larger PC Guide System.

The plunger vac is much better by a huge margin than the one in the fixed base. Day and Night better. Putting the dust issue aside it works great and the centering device they include with the kit works to center the bit perfectly - i ran a dado and then turned the router over 180 degrees and it hit the mark.

Maybe one of us can find a way to mod the dust collection plate for the fixed base to make it work better but I do not see how without drilling the base because I think what is happening is that the base is blocking the dust collector's effectiveness because on a dado if you are cutting with decent speed the debris gets caught almost immediately under the base plate. But honestly the dust seems to go everywhere. I was using the router on a vertical board which might have impacted my experience a little but not significantly imo.

Bottom Line - the plunge base dust collection is light years ahead of the fixed base dust collection. Even though plunge base vac works fine I would still use my under the plate vac for routing dovetails pn the Leigh.

I really like the router and the way it feels making a cut. Never had a moment hand routing with it that I felt like I was not in complete control of cut.

Take care.

Again the router is very easy to handle on eithr base.