PDA

View Full Version : Q sawn white oak as counter top

Ron Jones near Indy
05-29-2006, 9:05 PM
For reasons I'll rather not get into I need to give a new surface to a 72 by 22 inch counter top in a bathroom. The old surface is plastic laminate in pretty good shape for its age (30+ years). What problems would I run into if I covered the old surface with 1/2 or 3/4 inch quarter sawn white oak? There would be a cut out for a sink in the middle. I know it would need to be sealed on all surfaces. I think I would fasten it to the old top with a few dabs of construction adhesive near the center (maybe 1 on each side of the sink). It needs a splash on the back and a lip on the front.

Would swelling and shrinking be a problem if all the surfaces are sealed? I plan to use a stain, BLO and poly as the finish. I think it should work, but I'm not too sure. Opinions are welcome.

Brian Hale
05-29-2006, 9:14 PM
You should be OK. I'd fasten it at the back and allow for expansion towards the front. Make sure you seal the endgrain real good, both on the ends and the area of the sink and faucet cutouts.

Brian :)

Jim Becker
05-29-2006, 10:17 PM
And don't use any iron/steel fasteners unless they are high-quality stainless...