PDA

View Full Version : First try on the new lathe

Matt Meiser
05-29-2006, 7:31 PM
This is my first try off the new lathe. I think it came out OK but LOML really likes it. It is made from a piece of cherry I've had for a while. The inside is just drilled out--not ready to even think about hollowing something yet. Learned a few things--most importantly to make sure the bottom of the tenon for mounting it in the chuck is square to the sides. I couldn't keep it straight in the chuck to get a good finish on the inside of the top because of that. The finish is just some Watco natural.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-29-2006, 7:49 PM
Looks great Matt, The biggest plus is when the wives like the product. Im not sure what you mean by square to the sides. If I hear what I think you are saying you may have some difficulty as your projects get bigger and you go to hollow them. I'm not sure so here is a crude drawing of what I'm saying. If you meant this then just ignore.

Matt Meiser
05-29-2006, 8:02 PM
Actually mine didn't look like either. The line to the left in you picture was not straight. I made the tenon long enough to bottom out in the chuck, which maybe was a mistake?

Corey Hallagan
05-29-2006, 8:08 PM
I am chuck challenged too Matt, from what I have been told, maintain at least 1/8 inches room to the back of the jaws to keep it from bottoming out. To be square I think you meant that the tenon shoulder seats up against the jaw real well. My jaws on both chucks require a dovetail. I haven't used my new Nova midi yet. Oh and the weed pot/vase looks great!

corey

Raymond Overman
05-29-2006, 8:13 PM
I made the tenon long enough to bottom out in the chuck, which maybe was a mistake?

Yep Matt, you don't want to bottom the tenon out in your chuck. Some people like to seat the jaws against a shoulder at the bottom of the tenon which can help with the piece being square.

Good job on the weed pot though. If your LOML likes it, half the battle is won!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2006, 9:21 PM
Your doing well Matt! Keep at it!

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Matt looks mighty fine to me. If the LOYL likes it then it must be ok.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Lovely little weed pot, Matt. Keep workin' with that tenon, and pretty soon you're gonna REALLY have LOYL impressed!