PDA

View Full Version : Turning, Neander or GW?

Chris Barton
05-29-2006, 6:33 PM
This is a little project I made for a friend that wanted a wall monted key hanger to the front entryway to her house. I didn't want to make the same old kind of thing so I decided I would use some spalted curly maple I had laying around and half of a bowl I turned a while back. The maple leaf relief carving is a first for me and it was a lot of fun. I did it by hand using some carving tools I got from Girz as one of those "thank you" gifts for ordering something over $50 bucks a while back. My tormek made them plenty sharp and it was easier than I thought. I used pure Tung oil and shellac for the finish with a light cherry glaze. Sorry about the glare in the picture. The wall board was cut using my 14" band saw and I did the sanding of the edges with an oscillating spindle sander. I didn't try to get too fancy with the surface sanding because she said she wanted a "rustic" finish (whatever that means). I am still working on my photography skills...

Richard Wolf
05-29-2006, 8:02 PM
Very nice project Chris, great carving work also.

Richard

Corey Hallagan
05-29-2006, 8:20 PM
Nice work Chris! It is a great looking project. I like how you used half of a bowl. The carving is great, I would never guess it was a first time. I like it alot!

Corey

Jim Becker
05-29-2006, 10:12 PM
That's very kewel, Chris! Best of ALL the worlds,too!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2006, 10:27 PM
A good woodworker should be able to do all things well! Excellent work Chris! Excellent!

Jack Ferrell
05-29-2006, 11:04 PM
That is really good. It's hard to make an interesting key hanger, but you have excelled.

tod evans
05-30-2006, 6:22 AM
i like it chris! scrollin`, whittlin` and spinnin` all fitting well together. .02 tod

Ted Jay
05-30-2006, 6:36 AM
Very nice looking project Chris
So... would that be a change bowl :cool:

What ya gonna make with the other half of that bowl? :D

Ted

John Timberlake
05-30-2006, 8:32 AM
Viry nice job with the design and execution. She will be proud to tell people about the maker. Love the carving.

Shelley Bolster
05-30-2006, 10:00 AM
That is sooooo cool Chris! :D An Arteest we have here! I am really impressed withyour knowledge and skills in several different aspects of woodworking - turning, flat work including period furniture (inlay and such) and now you go and add carving! :eek: Great job on the leaf.....and congrats on getting the carving tools sharp! ;) I bought a small set a year ago, as part of a gift certificate I was given, and when I tried them out for the first time, became completely frustrated. Hmmmmm - who would have thought you have to sharpen the darn things first - something I am meaning to do - one day. :o

Mark Pruitt
05-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Very nice job at both creativity and construction! Sounds like you didn't know where to post it....enjoy that identity crisis, it's a nice problem to have!