PDA

View Full Version : Ponderosa Bowl

Curt Fuller
05-29-2006, 1:27 PM
This is a Ponderosa Pine bowl, 9" x 5", finished with watco oil. It has a round bottom and is just about the right size for an Andy Hoyt serving of some of Hop Sing's hand churned homemade ice cream.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2006, 1:31 PM
Nice bowl Curt! I like the grain in that one! How is P pine to turn? It's a local up here too!

Curt Fuller
05-29-2006, 2:17 PM
Nice bowl Curt! I like the grain in that one! How is P pine to turn? It's a local up here too!

It's soft and turns easy but tear easy too. When you sand it it makes valleys and ridges along the grain lines because there's such a difference in the harness of the two. If you let it sit on the ground a while it starts getting the blue and black streaks that make it look better as it ages.

Andy Hoyt
05-29-2006, 2:18 PM
This is a Ponderosa Pine bowl, 9" x 5", finished with watco oil. It has a round bottom and is just about the right size for an Andy Hoyt serving of some of Hop Sing's hand churned homemade ice cream.

A mighty pithy description for a pithy bowl. Nice!

Hop Sing suggests Ginger ice cream.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-29-2006, 2:19 PM
Very cool! I like the way you chose to show off the grain in this wood. Good work.

Frank Chaffee
05-29-2006, 9:16 PM
Curt,
If I may ask,
Thru what curing processes has the Ponderosa Pine wood you turned into that wonderful bowl gone? I still have pine sap on my left forearm from a White Pine I cut a week ago (I cried when I felled it ‘cuz I planted it 40 years ago).

I ask this not for my own information, as I would certainly never turn, but for the turners on the Creek. I remember reading somewhere that unless pine was kiln dried, the sap would continue to be a problem forever!???

Frank

Corey Hallagan
05-29-2006, 9:31 PM
Very nice Curt. Not sure I have seen PP turned before..... that sounds wierd doesn't it :) I like it Curt!

Corey

Vaughn McMillan
05-29-2006, 9:45 PM
Nice bowl, Curt. I like the grain in that hunk of wood. I wonder how many younger Creekers are saying "Hop who?" ;)

- Vaughn

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2006, 11:32 PM
That is a beauty Curt. I like the grain in the pine.

Curt Fuller
05-29-2006, 11:43 PM
Curt,
If I may ask,
Thru what curing processes has the Ponderosa Pine wood you turned into that wonderful bowl gone? I still have pine sap on my left forearm from a White Pine I cut a week ago (I cried when I felled it ‘cuz I planted it 40 years ago).

I ask this not for my own information, as I would certainly never turn, but for the turners on the Creek. I remember reading somewhere that unless pine was kiln dried, the sap would continue to be a problem forever!???

Frank
Thanks everyone.
Frank, this wood was just 'sit on the pile, time cured'. The bark had fallen off and the log had a crack going from the edge to the pith. You can't see it in the picture but it's there at the top edge of the bowl. My experience with pine is that most of the sticky pitch and sap is in the bark and sapwood and if you get past that you're OK. But this piece has been sitting long enough that it started getting those blue and black streaks of fungus in it.

Andy Hoyt
05-29-2006, 11:47 PM
Frank - When I remodeled my 100 year old barn I had to head off a 4x6 white pine joist. Cut out the section and marveled at the scent of freshly sawn pine just long enough for a glob of sap to ooze down into my hair.

Ron Ainge
05-31-2006, 1:20 PM
I have been clearing some dead Ponderosa pine off of some mountain property that I own in the mountains of Colorado. All of has blue stain in it because it died from an infestation of the Pine Beatel that leaves it dropings that cause a fungus to grow in the tree. The fungus causes the blue stain. The trees that I have been cutting have been standing dead for several years and all of the moisture as well as the sap is gone. It is a pleasure to turn but it is not easy to sand. I have found that to hand sand it on the lathe results in the soft particles between the groth rings sand out leaving a dish between the groth rings. If I power sand the wood it does not sand out the softer wood and leaves a better finish. If you have any questions please ask, I do turn a lot of this wood and sell it in shop in the mountain areas. It sells very well in the shops I have it in.