PDA

View Full Version : Work table top - NYW

Jeremy Gibson
05-29-2006, 11:49 AM
I've been looking at the NYW web site and the large mobile work table Norm built. Does anyone know what material he used for the top? It's grey color, seems very hard, and possibly resitant to glue.

Ned Bulken
05-29-2006, 11:56 AM
I would strongly suspect he applied a plastic laminate to a plywood or MDF substrate.

Mark Carlson
05-29-2006, 12:19 PM
If I remember correctly it was homasote.

~mark

Les Spencer
05-29-2006, 1:47 PM
I built the original table and the top is made from MDF. Later on the top showed up gray on the show. I sent an email to NYW asking what they used and the answer was they just painted it.:eek: At times Norm will use homosote board on top of the table.

Bob Childress
05-29-2006, 1:59 PM
What Les said--he's too fast!

It is 1/2 inch MDF. he just painted it. You may have noticed that they use this same table design on Ask This Old House in the studio.

BTW, it is one great assembly, outfeed, and all around table IMO.

Jim Becker
05-29-2006, 10:19 PM
You may have noticed that they use this same table design on Ask This Old House in the studio.

Norm builds two of a project...one as a prototype and one as the show piece. In this case, one stayed in the NYW and one went to "the barn"...

Tyler Howell
05-29-2006, 10:25 PM
I thought Nahm did a torsion box for that top to keep the whole assembly light weight:confused:

Bob Childress
05-30-2006, 6:39 AM
I thought Nahm did a torsion box for that top to keep the whole assembly light weight:confused:

You are right. There is a torsion box under the MDF. That's why only 1/2 " MDF, to keep the weight down. The top is easily replaceable when I inevitably mess it up.:D

John Gregory
05-30-2006, 11:19 AM
I built a version of that table. Made it smaller to fit my needs and I use it for an outfeed table and general assembly table. It is light but strong. I removed the casters because I rarely move the table and I used the casters in another project. I think it is a great design and very useful.

John

Art Mulder
05-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Norm builds two of a project...one as a prototype and one as the show piece....
Unless it is going into one of his books, in which case he builds a third piece, slowly, so that the photographer can get all the shots.

(Read that somewhere, maybe in one of his books)

As an amateur, I find it hard enough to build something once! But I'm learning that prototypes can be good. I've mocked up one or two portions of a piece, in order to test out ideas, which have a good result on the final piece. Still, building something three times could wear me down. (Darn this day job. I need more time in the shop!)

best
...art