View Full Version : plastic coating

Tom Majewski
05-29-2006, 11:18 AM
What is the process/chemicals to apply clear acrylic "bubbles" on objects, ie- paperweights, business cards, scrapbook stuff....
I thought there was a thread here, but I can't find it. Must be an early morning senior moment sneaking up on me.


Dave Jones
05-29-2006, 11:57 AM
Paperweights with objects in them are usually cast acrylic. You can buy kits in hobby shops to experiment with, or buy the raw materials for the molds and castings at industrial supply companies.

Business cards, metal tags, and other things with clear domes on them are usually done using epoxy or urethane. Sometimes one part that is UV cured, and sometimes 2 part. That technique is usually called "doming". No mold is needed. Just put enough of the clear epoxy or urethane on top of the object and the surface tension holds it in place while curing. Do a search on doming at engravingetc.

Tom Majewski
05-29-2006, 1:30 PM

Thank you