PDA

View Full Version : Pulley/belt cover question

Bob Noles
05-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Okay... another dumb question from this learning spinner.

What purpose does the covers serve that allow access to the belt and pulleys? Would it hurt the lathe to just leave them off for faster access in changing speeds or would they get clogged with chips and dirt?

See... I told you it was a dumb question, but inquiring minds need to know :)

Hope everyone is enjoying a great Memorial Day. Don't forget to honor and pray for our troops.

Chris Barton
05-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Mostly just to keep fingers and such out. Also help in keeping dust and such out.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Okay... another dumb question from this learning spinner.

See... I told you it was a dumb question, but inquiring minds need to know

The only DUMB question is the one that isn't asked! Keep asking; keep learning. It helps us too.:D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Bob---

I would think that the main purpose for the guards is as a safety measure.

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Bob I was told for the safety of the operator and to keep dust and chips of the pullies and belts.

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2006, 10:31 AM
What purpose does the covers serve that allow access to the belt and pulleys? Would it hurt the lathe to just leave them off for faster access in changing speeds or would they get clogged with chips and dirt?Depends on the lathe. (Duh.)

On a Jet Mini, the top door isn't much of an issue: it's just hinged, with a light spring to hold it closed. The bottom one OTOH is a definite candidate for removal: PITA to open/close and does nothing to keep debris out: bottom pulley compartment is open on the motor end.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Mostly to keep the lawyers from starting class action suits :D

Bob Noles
05-29-2006, 2:58 PM
Thanks guys.....

I think I'm going to remove them for a while and see if they collect too much gunk. As far as safety, I think I am smart enough to keep my fingers out of that area when the machine is running, so the lawyers can relax on that part. :D

Andy Hoyt
05-29-2006, 7:37 PM
Bob - If you get debris caught up in the underside of the belt and it gets whopped a few buhzillion times by the pulleys you'll be buying a new belt soon.

Corey Hallagan
05-29-2006, 8:54 PM
I see now Bob that our beloved "Big Red" now is available in a Variable Speed version. Of course in true PSI fashion, it isn't in stock!
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/tclprovs.html

Corey