PDA

View Full Version : Buying Furniture - Non Upolstered

Carl Eyman
05-29-2006, 9:17 AM
At a family gathering yesterday a couple that was flooded in New Orleans asked my advice in replacing their furniture. They are relatively flush with flood insureance money and want good stuff. (They wanted me to make stuff for them, but I had to decline.)

The scene in N.O. Is hectec. It's a sellers' market. They tell me if you go into a furniture store you have to stand in line to even talk to a sales person. As you can imagine prices reflect the demand.

They are coming out to Thibodaux to shop and have asked me to advise them. I am at a loss. I haven't seen a piece of furniture in a store that I'd buy since I was shopping for Danish Imports years ago.

Even when you shop the better known brands, e.g., Carriage House, Ethan Allen, etc., you may find acceptable construction, but are likely to find solid poplar cleverly disguised as something else. A printed paper veneer to sit in for exotic woods is common.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Does anybody have a favorite kit furniture source? I might be induced to help them assemble and finish one ore more kit pieces. I built a bunch of early New England pieces from Cohasset Colonials years ago, but their selection is poor these days.

HELP

Mike Cutler
05-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Carl.

I would just start looking at all the furniture sites, on the web, around the Hickory North Carolina area that I could find. Most of the "mass produced" furniture still being made in the US, is made in NC.
If I had a whole house full of furniture to replace all at once, I would just go to NC. and start shopping. Kind of a long trip, but the savings would justify it.

The only "High Quality" furniture being made on a production scale, that I am familiar with, is Thomas Moser. There have to be more sources, but I don't know of them. Thos. Moser doesn't have kits though.

Hopefully others can chime in with some more ideas.

Chris Barton
05-29-2006, 10:12 AM
The is a furniture company by the name of "Cresent Furniture" that produces very high quality solid cherry and mahogany furniture and it is widely distributed in the US. If they were willing to do some traveling and had a good rental truck Cresent has two outlet stores in the Nashville area where very nice bargains can be had. I have many pieces by this company and the quality is outstanding. But, they specialize in Queen Anne/18th century style which, is not to everyone's liking.

Wes Bischel
05-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Carl,
Tough question to field. If it were me, I would give them a primer on wood furniture (give a man a fish/teach him to fish etc. etc.). Go over the different construction techniques and the pros and cons of each (ie drawer construction) materials and appropriate uses thereof etc. This way no matter where they go, they have at least some knowledge of what they are getting into, and it keeps you out of their decision making process.

No matter what you do, good luck (to you and them).

Wes

PS Don't forget "used" furniture - antiques as well. Most times you can get a bigger bang for the buck. Oh, and don't let them forget the small regional custom guys - the wait (and price) may not be any longer than from the national companies.

Bill Sampson
05-29-2006, 1:35 PM
Carl,

There is a reproduction company on the eastern shore in Denton, Maryland called Bartley Antique Reproductions that sells kits of 18th century furniture.

They sell lumber a couple times per year that I have purchased for $1.50 per pound. (Odd but true.) Mostly tiger maple, cherry, and mahagony, and the quality is excellent. Kits are also extremely well done.

Their web site is: bartleycollection.com

Hope this will help.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

James Boster
05-29-2006, 6:36 PM
I really wish I could help out here but I don't know of any good brands. I will reply to a couple posts that mention some "high end" american made names, but it's not good information. Someone mentioned Crescent, you may still find some of there furniture but there plants are all on the auction block at this moment. Ethan Allen is already been acutioned off a few months back, as has Thomasville.:( I talked with a man that was over the " hardwood industry" in North Carolina about six months ago and he told me that there was 29:eek: , that's right 29 furniture plants going on the auction block in the Hickory/ Lenoir area of North Carolina the following week. I don't want to hijack this thread by no means but our furniture industry in this country is going fast. It is where the garment industry was several years ago and once again China is eating our lunch. I hope you can find a source of quality furniture for your friends to purchase. Good Luck. James.

Chris Barton
05-29-2006, 6:38 PM
I really wish I could help out here but I don't know of any good brands. I will reply to a couple posts that mention some "high end" american made names, but it's not good information. Someone mentioned Crescent, you may still find some of there furniture but there plants are all on the auction block at this moment. Ethan Allen is already been acutioned off a few months back, as has Thomasville.:( I talked with a man that was over the " hardwood industry" in North Carolina about six months ago and he told me that there was 29:eek: , that's right 29 furniture plants going on the auction block in the Hickory/ Lenoir area of North Carolina the following week. I don't want to hijack this thread by no means but our furniture industry in this country is going fast. It is where the garment industry was several years ago and once again China is eating our lunch. I hope you can find a source of quality furniture for your friends to purchase. Good Luck. James.

Hi James,

I think Crescent is OK right now. They make their furniture in Gallatin, TN just up the road from me and last I heard they were not having problems but, maybe that's changed.

Mike Henderson
05-29-2006, 7:31 PM
Most of the new furniture that I've looked at recently is made of some low cost wood stained and finished to look like some higher quality wood. But that's not to say the furniture is bad. You have to consider what the customer wants and how much it costs.

Every now and then, I go into a furniture store just to look at the designs and see what's being produced now. I'm always amazed at how inexpensive the furniture is. I couldn't even buy the materials for the price they're asking at retail. And this is not to say that it's poorly made - it's just not made from walnut, mahogany, etc. It's made from some lower cost wood but still looks pretty good.

If they are not looking for heirloom furniture, but just something that they can use for 20 years and have it look good, any of the NC manufacturers are a good choice.

BTW, I know Thibodaux, having grown up in Destrehan (just north of NO) - still have a lot of relatives in NO. I hope you escaped the worse of the storm.

Mike

Earl Kelly
05-29-2006, 7:51 PM
Carl,
Some names for them to look for: Sumter Cabinet co.(Furniture Division), Norwalk(upholstery), Jeup Furniture(in Michigan), Harden Furniture and Council Craftsmen. Sumter is a very well made case goods from oak, cherry and maple. They're middle of the road pricewise. Norwalk is similar in price concerning sofas and chairs. Jeup is more modern a little bit higher end, and Harden and Council are comparable to each other, very well made and pricey. I believe those are all still made in the states. I know Jeup is I did some work for them last yr.

Morris Critchlow
05-29-2006, 8:08 PM
If their tastes lean toward period furniture styles I would recommend looking at Colonial House Furniture in Auburn, Kentucky. This is their website: http://www.colonialhousefurniture.com/

This business is just a mile from my house and the owners are my neighbors. Mr. Jordan built this business himself and has been doing it for a long time. They hand craft every piece and it is the absolute highest quality. His customers come from all over the country. I am sure he would ship anything that they make. They are good folks. Just check it out.

James Boster
05-29-2006, 11:30 PM
Chris Barton, Crescent in gallatin TN is up on the block with the auction ending mid June. I also sent you a pm.

rick fulton
05-30-2006, 6:54 AM
Carl,

Something to consider. Although it is not kit furniture, it is built of solid wood with craftsman joinery - Stickley is building better furniture than ever. Larger formats and wider selection. Not just q-sawn oak and cherry mission style either.

rick

Matt Guyrd
05-30-2006, 3:54 PM
I'll second the Stickley furniture. A buddy and his wife recently bought Stickly end tables, a coffee table and a chair from Stickley. They are expensive, but I was duly impressed with the quality of the pieces from a retailer.

Their website is quite informative too. Stickley.com

Matt

Jim Becker
05-30-2006, 7:21 PM
Some great suggestions in my brief skim of the thread. Make sure they consider making a "field trip" away from their area...perhaps to NC...to view and buy their furniture. It will get rid of the lines and lower bargaining power that is natural to the post-disaster rebuild area. And they get a little relaxation mixed in, which I'm sure they can use. If they travel smart, they can do the trip relatively frugally, although there is cost involved...