PDA

View Full Version : First Oak Bowl

Christopher K. Hartley
05-29-2006, 7:59 AM
I love this wood! I love the way it cuts and the way the grain looks. It brings back memories of my grandmother's house in Ravenna Ohio. The house was well over 100 years old when I was a child. All the woodwork and stair banisters were solid oak. This is just a small one, 4 3/4" X 2". It is finished with Danish oil. I have a big blank almost 12" X 8" that I am anxious to start.

Ben Werner
05-29-2006, 8:15 AM
Beautiful! I like the finish too :)

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-29-2006, 8:24 AM
Great looking bowl, Chris. Although I've not turned oak, I watched in a workshop I took a while back as the professor turned some wet oak. The scent was... quite... interesting. :)

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-29-2006, 8:31 AM
Very nice, love the grain in that.

It's freaking me out a bit, as the grain looks so much like what I was told was Sakura, it is unreal!

Makes me wonder if I was told what they thought or what they knew...?

Cheers!

Christopher K. Hartley
05-29-2006, 8:35 AM
Very nice, love the grain in that.

It's freaking me out a bit, as the grain looks so much like what I was told was Sakura, it is unreal!

Makes me wonder if I was told what they thought or what they knew...?

Cheers! Is it possible that Sakura is Japaneese for Oak? Never mind, just looked it up...Japaneese Cherry...I know this isn't that!:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2006, 8:52 AM
Nice bowl Chris! I like the wood, the form and the finish!

John Timberlake
05-29-2006, 9:50 AM
Great looking bowl. I love the way oak looks. But the only time I turned dry oak, it was bear. Took forever and couldn't get the tools sharp enough to turn easily. Used a scraper. Maybe it was because it was end grain.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Great looking bowl. I love the way oak looks. But the only time I turned dry oak, it was bear. Took forever and couldn't get the tools sharp enough to turn easily. Used a scraper. Maybe it was because it was end grain. I don't know about that this one was wet then put in DNA and dried, it wasn't bad at all. Now Live Oak on the other hand when dry is not quite as easy.

Hey, I noticed you're from Medina. Any chance you know a Pat Patterson or his daughters Gail or Patty?

Bernie Weishapl
05-29-2006, 10:20 AM
That is a beautiful bowl Christopher. I really like that oak with the finish. Nice job.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Is it possible that Sakura is Japaneese for Oak? Never mind, just looked it up...Japaneese Cherry...I know this isn't that!:confused:

Now there are lots of kinds of "Sakura" and the bark on this wood looks NOTHING like any Oak I've ever seen, I'm just thinking that the guys that told me it was Sakura, may not have known what they were talking about...?

Cheers!:D

Michael Stafford
05-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Great looking bowl, Chris! Oak makes a nice looking bowl but I find it hot to turn and hard to sand. You did a fine job!

Rich Stewart
05-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Nice looking bowl there. I have turned a couple small plates (saucers?) out of oak boards. I like the way they look. Haven't had any luck with green oak. ALWAYS splits.

Keith Burns
05-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Chris, that is a fine looking bowl:) :) I too like turning oak but most don't. They don't know what their missing.:D