PDA

View Full Version : Arbor Project Pics - Minus the Bride and Groom

Vaughn McMillan
05-29-2006, 5:17 AM
Since several Creekers were following along somewhat on my recent redwood arbor project, I thought I'd show some pics now that it's been moved into its intended place. The pic I posted last week (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36860) was somewhat obscured by fake ivy and a couple of newlyweds. Soon, it'll be covered in wisteria vines.

The design is my own, stealing several elements from various pictures I saw while searching the Internet. It's sort of an Arts and Crafts style, with a bit of Oriental influence in the double-arched top. This is the first project for which I've used SketchUp, and it was really handy for visualizing how a change in one proportion would affect the others, and for determining critical dimensions of various parts.

Here's the SketchUp (free Google version) drawing I did as a guideline. There were several other detailed drawings I did in the process of putting it all together in the real world:

And here's how it came out in the end:

Here's a look from another angle: (The lemon tree is in the foreground of the picture; the lemons really aren't as big as basketballs.)

And here's a detail shot showing the lap joints attaching the legs to the top. I used stainless steel screws and plugged the holes with mushroom caps from the local hardware store. The sides are all mortise and tenon joinery, but the through mortises on the legs are fake. I had intended for them to be blind mortises, but I cut the mortises on the wrong side of the legs, so went ahead and cut them all the way through. Since I'd already cut the horizontal members to length and cut the tenons, they were not long enough to go all the way through, so I used rectangular plugs on the outsides of the legs to give the appearance of the tenons going all the way through. The top slats are held in place by deeply countersunk stainless steel screws, the holes for which were also plugged to prevent water from building up inside.

Not really fine woodworking, but it's plenty stout and this project had several firsts for me: M&T joinery, drawing large-radius curves with a bent piece of 1/8" x 3/4" stock, and designing (and drawing) in SketchUp. As a bonus, I didn't mess up the finish (because there isn't one). As always, your comments are welcome.

- Vaughn

lou sansone
05-29-2006, 6:21 AM
hi Vaughn
beautiful work... everything really looks perfect with that project. great location, and yes those lemons look like basket balls

lou

Tyler Howell
05-29-2006, 6:40 AM
Bring back the bride!!!:rolleyes:
Well done Vaughn and comgrats again;)

Bob Childress
05-29-2006, 7:33 AM
Vaughn thats a lovely arbor! Please post a picture this time next year after the Wisteria takes hold and let's see if we can even find it in all the greenery.

Nice work.:)

Frank Pellow
05-29-2006, 7:48 AM
Thanks for showing us the detail Vaughn. Good design, good material choice, good site, and good construction.

John Hart
05-29-2006, 8:32 AM
Sorry I missed your earlier post Vaughn. Congratulations to you and your bride. Best wishes to you both. The arbor is wonderfully done. Very nice!! :)

Craig Feuerzeig
05-29-2006, 9:05 AM
beautiful... and great save with those plugs.

Charles Bruno
05-29-2006, 9:08 AM
Nice job Vaughn! The red wood will turn a silvery color with age it’s a great looking wood, the design is pleasing to my eye. Congratulations!

Mike Cutler
05-29-2006, 9:16 AM
Nice work Vaughn. It should really look nice with the wisteria, when they are in bloom.
There is a wisteria walkway at the Arboretum, in Pasadena. Your Arbor would fit in very nicely there. I like the lines of it.

I wouldn't worry too much about those "faux tenons". They're done quite frequently in furniture making.;)

Everything looks very nice.

Mark Pruitt
05-29-2006, 9:25 AM
Beautiful arbor Vaughn! You didn't have to tell on yourself about the M&T's.....I would have never known! And congratulations again!

In case you missed what I said a few days ago, your new "signature" indicates that you are well on your way to staying alive as a married man!!!:D :D

Karl Laustrup
05-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Vaughn, that is very nice. Good work.

So answer this, looks like the world gave you lemons. Are you making lemonade? :D

Karl

Vaughn McMillan
05-29-2006, 2:40 PM
So answer this, looks like the world gave you lemons. Are you making lemonade? :D

Karl Yeppers, we pretty much have lemonade on demand. If our tree is between seasons, we've got neighbors whose lemon trees will likely be producing. (The things seems to come along all year round.) The tree just to the right of the arbor in these pics is a very sweet navel orange. When that's in season, I have the best orange juice on the block.

And Mark, I did notice your comment on the sig, and in fact expanded it a bit after seeing your comment. ;) :)

Thanks all for the comments and compliments.

- Vaughn

Dan Forman
05-29-2006, 3:15 PM
Vaughn---Missed the main feature of last week, a big belated congratulations on that, and wishing you many years of wedded bliss. The arbor looks great as well.

Dan

John Miliunas
05-29-2006, 4:11 PM
Great lookin' arbor, Vaughn but, where's the pretty lady we saw the last time??? :confused: Sheeeeesh....Don't know nuttin' 'bout marketing, do 'ya? :eek: Seriously, looking real nice and seems that you learned a thing or three along the way. Good job, my friend and I hope you two are still celebrating your wedding! :D :cool:

Bruce Page
05-29-2006, 4:41 PM
Vaughn, I hate to say this but the arbor was prettier when your bride was in the picture. :p
Seriously, it’s so close to fine woodworking, who’s going to quibble?
The one thing that I do miss about California is the fruit trees & vegitation.
Small world, especially with you having spent time in beautiful downtown Albuquerque. I didn’t realize how close you live to where I grew up. Is Hanson Dam still there? I almost drown there whe I was 10! I grew up a stones throw from Rosco Blvd & Woodman Ave. in the SFV, do you know where that’s at? My parents paid about 8K in 1950, for the house that I grew up in. I looked at it awhile back on zillow.com and they show it being worth 450K! Yikes!!:eek:

Vaughn McMillan
05-29-2006, 6:04 PM
Bruce, Hanson Dam is only a few miles away, and we can almost see it from our backyard, but between trees and hills, it's not quite visible. Big Tujunga Canyon (which feeds Hanson Dam), is about two good frisbee throws from our house. I also pretty much know where Roscoe and Woodman are...LOML grew up in Granada Hills, so most of my Valley time has been spent in that corner of the area.

And I agree the arbor looks better with some eye candy...she was at the gym when I was taking the pics. ;)

- Vaughn

Bruce Page
05-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Yep, we used to roller skate at the Granada Hills roller rink every Friday night. It’s been about 15 years since I last visited the valley, I imagine that it has changed allot.

Corey Hallagan
05-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Vaughn the arbor is nice. It turned out great. May I also congratulate you on your marriage and your beautiful bride. I missed the other post. Congrats all the way around!!

Corey

john whittaker
06-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Vaughn, let me be the last to congratulate you and your beautiful bride. I too missed you stealth post. (Does your wife know how sneaky you are?)Absolutely fantastic news....Wishing you two great happiness.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D