PDA

View Full Version : Arts& Craft Style Door Project

Mike Cutler
05-28-2006, 10:19 PM
I've been working on an A&C Style Door, and door trim for awhile now, and finally have it just about done. A few nuclear power plant outages, winter, and some other minor things got in the way.

The door required some form of trim. The walls in our 1919 house have some interesting "character". In this case the wall is 1 1/4" out of plumb along the height of the door jam, and the left, and right door jams are about 3/4" out of being in the same plane. This is the original exterior wall of the house. An addition was added in 1981, and this being a load bearing wall, and the wall our stairwell is on, I was limited in what I could do with it.

I've tried to achieve some form of a Limbert/ Greene & Greene style to the door, and the trim work, and add a little Nouveau influence. Kinda haughty I know, but we gotta get our influence from somewhere, right? ;)

The first two pic's are of the door jam prior to the start. The rest are of the completed project.

Thank's for looking, any and all comments welcome.

Wes Bischel
05-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Outstanding! Not much more I can think to say - just outstanding!

Wes

Per Swenson
05-29-2006, 12:06 AM
Mike,

Beautiful job, nothing haughty 'bout it.

Per

Norman Hitt
05-29-2006, 5:40 AM
Mike, I remember your post a while back describing your wall problem. It sure looks like you solved that problem. That's a beautiful door, and a Very Innovative design solution that will certainly hide that wall problem.

Bob Marino
05-29-2006, 8:17 AM
Mike,

Beautiful! What is the finish?

Bob

Mike Cutler
05-29-2006, 8:54 AM
Bob.

The door and frame are made of brazillian cherry, and the finish is two coats of Seal-A-Cell by General Finishes, and three coats of Arm-R-Seal, also by General Finishes. I used 150 grit sanding sponges between the coats of Seal-A Cell, and 320 grit sanding sponges between the coats of Arm-R-Seal.

The plugs on the door and frame are Mopane finished with multiple coats of Tru Oil, sanded with 320 grit sponges in between coats.

The wood(s) themselves finish beautifully, naturally, and the General Finish products are almost foolproof, which is a good thing because finishing is a real weak point for me.

Norman.

That wall gave me some real fits. I made another stained glass door for the level directly below this one, and it was just as bad. A lot of trips were made back and forth to the shop and back to get everything to fit. Maybe I should have taken Richard Wolf's advice and just rebuilt the stairway, and the wall first. :eek:

Thanks for the replies folks.

Mark Singer
05-29-2006, 8:58 AM
Mike,
Just terrific work and a great finish!

Richard Wolf
05-29-2006, 9:00 AM
Great job Mike.

Richard

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2006, 9:43 AM
Beautiful work Mike! Excellent recovery on those wall woes!

Tim Clark
05-29-2006, 9:54 AM
Beautiful job Mike. I really like the clean, classic (& classy) lines.

Someday, sigh, yeah, someday I'll be able to do work like that.

John Timberlake
05-29-2006, 9:57 AM
Love the door! Makes for a very distinctive entry to a room. Great design and execution.

Rick Doyle
05-29-2006, 10:22 AM
that looks beautiful, mike! great job!

Ron Robinson
05-29-2006, 10:57 AM
The first word out of my mouth....WOW!

Ron Robinson

Roy Wall
05-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Mike -

The trim goes really nice with such a stately door - looks terrific!!! It really "draws" you to the door. Smart idea on the "out of plumb" problem.