PDA

View Full Version : Coal tar in the carpet. Grrrrr!

Tony Sade
09-07-2003, 8:18 PM
Someone in my household, who shall remain nameless (assuming she's still alive by morning) tracked driveway sealer (coal tar emulsion based-I believe) into the house and all over our relatively new beige carpet. Anyone have any miracles that can get this stuff out? I saved some of the remnants-is patching a viable alternative? Help me before I hurt someone! Thanks, Tony

Keith Outten
09-07-2003, 9:37 PM
Tony,

Try laquer thinner on a scap piece of carpet. When laquer thinner won't do the job I use acetone but it will absolutely melt some materials so be careful and always test on a scrap piece no matter which cleaning material you decide to use.

The old style Goop hand cleaner is also a good product for cleaning. It is very mild and will wash right out with a little soap and water once the stain is gone.

Hope this helps

Brad Schafer
09-08-2003, 7:22 AM
lighter fluid should do the trick, although i don't know about residue from this or any other solvent. (WD40 might work too, come to think of it, but the odor might be a problem.) test on a piece of scrap first to see how hardy the carpet is.

i had to do this a few years' back with pine tar - ended up with a 2 stage thing, using lighter fluid and Goop hand cleaner; had to do small sections at a time, but it pretty much worked.

b

David Klug
09-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Tony

Before I retired I hauled that type of material and LOML had to get it out of my clothes. The best cleaner that she used was and orange citrus cleaner and Amway Spot Remover.

Dave

Lee Schierer
09-08-2003, 2:49 PM
I know that "Gunk" engine cleaner will remove some pretty amazing crud from an engine. Since you said that patching is an option, I would purposely apply some coal tar to some "spare" pieces and experiemnt with the various cleaner suggestions offered and see which one does the best.

We expect to hear a report back on what worked you know.

Richard Hash
09-08-2003, 5:50 PM
Someone in my household, who shall remain nameless (assuming she's still alive by morning) tracked driveway sealer (coal tar emulsion based-I believe) into the house and all over our relatively new beige carpet. Anyone have any miracles that can get this stuff out? I saved some of the remnants-is patching a viable alternative? Help me before I hurt someone! Thanks, Tony

Before you try anything harsh on the carpet, give mineral oil a try (yes, the stuff you put on babies bottoms). Being close to the Galveston Gulf Coast, which is often littered with oil blobs (which get all over you) you learn pretty quick mineral oil is easier to use than mineral spirits!

Give it a whirl.

Tony Sade
09-08-2003, 6:24 PM
I called the carpet dealer who called the manufacturer who recommended a solvent used by those in the trade. I'll pick some up tomorrow and test some on some scraps. I'll let you know how it turned out. If that doesn't work, I'll try some of the suggestions I got here and on the other 42 ww forums I posted the question in my manic phase. ;>) Tony

David LaRue
09-08-2003, 6:58 PM
I called the carpet dealer who called the manufacturer who recommended a solvent used by those in the trade. I'll pick some up tomorrow and test some on some scraps. I'll let you know how it turned out. If that doesn't work, I'll try some of the suggestions I got here and on the other 42 ww forums I posted the question in my manic phase. ;>) Tony

Here are some other options:
Goop hand cleaner - Ecological choice. Will take off the tar!
#1 Lifter - my personal favorite - we have white carpeting in the house with 2 pets and 2 small kids (Carpet was there, then pets, then the kids... :) )
Starter Fluid - This what we used to use on the carpet at a truck trailer dealership to remove tar and oil stains... works great .. smells bad for a minute then goes away.

- Capture: Dry carpet cleaner - will not take up the tar, but will clean the carpet without leaving a reside.

Best of luck

Hal Flynt
09-09-2003, 10:40 AM
This is a link to Autopi, an automobile detailing site, article on stains and the best methods of removing them by type.

http://www.autopia.ws/articles.php?articleId=6

If it won't let you see it, you may need to register, free and has good articles on cleaning autos and types of waxes etc.

Home page:
http://www.autopia.ws/index.php

Tony Sade
09-11-2003, 5:47 AM
I tried the industrial strength solvent that I got from the carpet mfgr. (full of liver cancer warnings and worse) and not only did I think I would die before morning if I used that stuff, it didn't do a very good job on some samples I made with the tar. I tried some goop and it worked just fine. Keep that in mind if your wife, who insists that everyone remove their shoes before walking on the carpet, forgets her own rule and tracks in some driveway sealer. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Tony