PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraver Suggestions...

Hugh Jassle
05-28-2006, 8:34 PM
I am in the market for a Laser Engraver to start a new business, and am interested in the various opinions that everyone / anyone has around their brands.

Right now, I am looking at the Accuris PowerSHARP 16 (25x18" table, 30W, 60ips, openable front and rear passthru doors) from SignWarehouse.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/engravers/pinnacle_accuris.htm

Does anyone have one of these? Had one and got rid of it?

Again, any and all advice is more than welcome.

Thanks.

-J

Joe Pelonio
05-28-2006, 9:02 PM
You need to list what you expect to do with it most, though what you expect may not be what you end up doing. I expected to do a lot of wood, for artistic original gift items, but find that I'm doing 80% cutting of 1/4" acrylic for various customers. I've gone through 13 4x8 sheets of it in the last two weeks. Then another 10% engraved signs, the rest anything and everything from ABS and Polycarbonate part prototypes and production pieces to paper patterns and stencils, custom car parts, last order Friday was for 10" MDF letters.

I like the size of that one you are looking at, but if I had it I'd be disappointed with the 30 watts, my 45 is barely enough for what I do. Also, it would sure be nice to have the built in vaccum table now standard on the Epilogs.

Brent Vander Weil
05-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Well I am probably the newest guy on the forum... but I feel like I got a good deal... Due to the financial restrictions I placed on myself I would only allow 10K... So I ended up buying a re-conditioned Epilog MINI 1812 35W from Rob over at UsedLasers dot com.

It was reconditioned by Epilog at their facility and shipped direct to me... I got it last Fri. afternoon and played with it all day Saturday... I had my first project completed by 7PM that night... I made about 20 2 1/2" medalions from clear acrylic with individual names for a prize for my wife's first grade class...

If I had done different and would have been willing to exceed the budget I had layed down I would have gone with the 2412 MINI 45W so it would take the sheets of 12x24 that are most common...

I originally started loking for the laser as a hobby machine with a potential for some side income... now I am hooked and I am going to try to make some cash with this one so I can get a bigger one and keep on going and growing my income potential... This is fun :-)

Dave Fifield
05-29-2006, 4:17 AM
Joe's are words of wisdom Hugh. You'll not be happy with the speed or results you get from a 30W laser in a business environment. Here's a pointer to the Engraver's Journal 2005 Laser Buyer's Guide (http://www.engraversjournal.com/charts05) which you should read and digest.

It's been said on this forum several times now, but basing a business soley on laser engraving/cutting is not a sound business plan - you'll be lucky to cover the monthly (lease or amortized) cost of the laser. The general consensus seems to be that a laser should be seen as a great way to enhance an already existing trophy/awards/craft business, but not as the focus of a new venture.

As anecdotal evidence, I offer my story. I purchased my almost new, hardly used, 45W Epilog Mini 24 for a bargain price from a laser engraving company in the LA area that folded after only 3 months in business.

Dave F.

Mac McAtee
05-29-2006, 2:42 PM
Joe's are words of wisdom Hugh. You'll not be happy with the speed or results you get from a 30W laser in a business environment. Here's a pointer to the Engraver's Journal 2005 Laser Buyer's Guide (http://www.engraversjournal.com/charts05) which you should read and digest.

Dave,
Can't get link to work. Can't get www.engraversjournal to work. Is there some kind of error in the address?
Mac

Dave Jones
05-29-2006, 5:01 PM
Their site seems to be down at the moment.

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2006, 5:12 PM
It's been said on this forum several times now, but basing a business soley on laser engraving/cutting is not a sound business plan - you'll be lucky to cover the monthly (lease or amortized) cost of the laser. The general consensus seems to be that a laser should be seen as a great way to enhance an already existing trophy/awards/craft business, but not as the focus of a new venture.Market research, business plan, tool acquisition: in that order only, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Any other way, you probably get better odds in Vegas.

Pete Simmons
05-29-2006, 5:21 PM
You might take a look at this thread from sometime back.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15448

My Epilog Mini-18 35 watt is a magic machine!

Been using it about 1.6 years and no problems.