PDA

View Full Version : Stihl 029 Cracked!

Charles McKinley
05-28-2006, 8:12 PM
Hi All,

The gas tank cracked back behind the chain cover to the rear of the clutch where it could not have happened from being dropped or something hitting it. The dealer said that the tank and body of the saw are all one peice and it would take over $200 to fix it with most of that being the cost of the part.:mad:

The saw sells for about $360 brand new!

Does anyone have an 029 or other Stihl that uses the same body that has a bad motor or something?

Thanks,

John Shuk
05-28-2006, 8:52 PM
I would check ebay I guess. I think I'd be shooting off an email or phone call to Stihl first though.

Steve Clardy
05-28-2006, 8:57 PM
I think I'd get the dremel out, clean the crack out and get some JB weld or something in there first.

Ian Abraham
05-28-2006, 9:18 PM
Check ebay, there is a seized 029 listed there for parts.
Should let you make one good saw?

Most dead saws have been run lean or without oil, so covers and cases are usually OK

Stihl parts are expensive, and with the labour needed to replace a major part like that, it's probably not worth it. $200 to repair a $1000 saw is OK, $200 to repair a saw thats only going to be worth $200 fixed.. ummmm :confused:

Any other dealers locally that may have old saws for parts?

Good luck anyway :)

Ian

Frank Chaffee
05-28-2006, 9:46 PM
Charles,
My Stihl saw has a Powder Metal cast gas tank, and yours likely does too. If you cannot easily come up with a salvage part, I suggest you try to repair the casting with an epoxy made specifically for the task. I no longer recall the brand I used, but I repaired a broken carburetor in the field from a Briggs and Stratton engine, and eventually returned the replacement I had ordered.
Good luck,
Frank

Frank Fusco
05-29-2006, 9:46 AM
Two suggestions. Write a letter to Stihl complaining about the condition and blame it on faulty design. Stihl U.S.A. hq is very customer conscious, they may repair at little to no cost. I had a similar experience with a heavy duty brush cutter, they rebuilt completely at no cost to me.
Second suggestion: prowl the pawn shops. Typically, those guys who cut firewood for a living get a little cash for their old worn-out saws. You might find one that parts can be cannibalized from at little cost.

Jerry Olexa
05-29-2006, 10:25 AM
I had that same model Stihl at my cabin but when I sold the cabin, he wanted the saw as part of the deal. Sorry.Its a great saw. I'd save your pennies and get a new Stihl. They have many models between $200-400..

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
The bvery high prices are ( I think) designed to force you to replace the tool. Companies like chain saw and ladder makers can not get liability insurance. They are self insured.

I dropped my 15 year old 036 while tree climbing. It fell a good 15 feet before the rop snapped it up short where it slammed into the tree and cracked the $200.00 aluminum tank.

I cleaned the thing off with brakeclean then MEK and applied that Rolled up two part Epoxy you can buy isn a inch thick diameter slug about 10" long.

It's held for several more years. Long enough for me to break the $200.00 hand bar. I still haven't replaced it Im just going to bend a new bar out of steel.

Per Swenson
05-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Charles,

Here is what I would do,

Click here... http://www.stihl.us/contact.html

Fill out the form, with a link to this page.

If I was in charge of Stilh customer relations with

the potential of reaching 5000 possible customers

with a great story about customer service........

You get the Idea.

Per

Tom Andersen
05-29-2006, 9:16 PM
Repost at the Arborist Site (http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9) and ask the same question. There's a lot of helpful chainsaw pros hanging around there.

Greg Narozniak
05-30-2006, 9:13 AM
Repost at the Arborist Site (http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9) and ask the same question. There's a lot of helpful chainsaw pros hanging around there.
Excellent Advise. I bet you find what you need there.

Ole Anderson
05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Arboristsite.com. Great forum. Was surfing there just before I clicked on the Creek. I would have suggested the same, but you two beat me to it.

Charles McKinley
06-05-2006, 3:52 PM
Thanks guys,

This going to work stuff has me way behind. I'll send an email to Stihl.

Brad Schmid
06-05-2006, 5:58 PM
Charles,

If none of your other options work out, Bailey's has at least 2 up for sale on the "unmentionable auction" with buy it now prices of $64.99

search on "stihl 029 gas tank housing"

cheers