PDA

View Full Version : brusso hardware

everett lowell
05-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey everybody,It's been awhile, I hope all is well with you guys!I'm thinking of using some brusso hardware on a jewlry box project. It looks like real nice stuff but abit pricey. Have any of you tried his products,is it worth the $$ ?? thanks in advance, :) Everett

Michael Stafford
05-28-2006, 1:39 PM
Everett, I have used several different types of Brusso hinges. The back mount 90 degree stop hinges and the 90 degree case hinges and the quadrant hinges. Hard to beat for quality particularly if the piece is destined to become an heirloom. Expensive, yes; good, also yes!

Byron Trantham
05-28-2006, 2:00 PM
If you opt to buy the hinges, I have a piece of advice. While you are fitting the hinges, do not use the screws provided. Use similar screws until you are satisfied with the fit, THEN when you are ready for the final install, use the supplied screws. The supplied screws are brass, soft and beautiful. I've ruined a few screws before I figured this one out. Good luck.

Corvin Alstot
05-28-2006, 3:01 PM
Bryon has a good point, brass screws are very soft.

If you are making utility boxes forget about the Brusso hardware. If you plan on making a high quality items, why scrimp on this item.

lou sansone
05-28-2006, 9:07 PM
the brusso stuff really makes the piece special

lou

Frank Pellow
05-28-2006, 9:34 PM
If you opt to buy the hinges, I have a piece of advice. While you are fitting the hinges, do not use the screws provided. Use similar screws until you are satisfied with the fit, THEN when you are ready for the final install, use the supplied screws. The supplied screws are brass, soft and beautiful. I've ruined a few screws before I figured this one out. Good luck.
Byron that's very good advise and I wish I had though ot it when I built a blanket chest for my daughter Kathleen a few years ago. I wrecked all the original screws then had trouble obtaining suitable replacements.

Oh yes, I did use Brusso hinges and a latch and they still look great after years of heavy use.

Mark Singer
05-29-2006, 1:37 AM
On Fine cabinets I only use Brusso...or ave them custom made...The Knife hinges are the best commercially available...IMHO