PDA

View Full Version : Oak Blanket Chest finally done

Tim Clark
05-28-2006, 12:52 PM
Thought I'd present my Freshman effort to you guys/gals with way more 'sperance than me.

It's a simple recessed panel design using some scrap oak and 1/4" oak ply.

Hope you like it and especially hope my daughter does.

Bob Reda
05-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Tim,

Very nice looking chest. Most times, simplier is much better;)

Jim Becker
05-28-2006, 1:13 PM
Beautiful job, Tim. I'm sure your daughter will love it!

Byron Trantham
05-28-2006, 2:52 PM
Smiles on the faces of daughters is worth a million and your project sure fits that bill! Nice work.

John Buzzurro
05-28-2006, 8:27 PM
Looks good to me. Good use of scrap wood. What finish did you use?

Mike Cutler
05-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Very nice Tim. Straight clean lines, and built to last.

I like it, and I'm sure your daughter will also.

John Miliunas
05-28-2006, 10:55 PM
"Freshman"??? Must be an Honor Student!!! :D Well done, Tim and I'm sure your daughter will love it and treasure it! :) :cool:

Tim Clark
05-29-2006, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys. Apreciate the remarks.

The pics don't show the mistakes that I couldn't otherwise hide. I got a looooong way to go yet. Overall I do like how it turned out but, I want pieces that Norm would say wow on (yeah I know...). In the meantime it's good to know that I at least have the aptitude for it. The skill will come with practice.

This project also illuminated my dire need for more (and better quality) toy, er, tools. I had to use a very old belt sander to even the joints on the top and wound up with some divots that wouldn't come out. I think a good ROS would have served me better for that (until I get my wide belt drum sander anyway :D ). I'm learning to make decent stuff with not so decent equipment and I can't wait to upgrade in both areas, just takes money.

John,

I used two coats of wiped on Tung Oil after sanding to 220 and wiping down with MS. I was thinking of maybe laying on some Butchers BA wax but have decided to let it age as is.

Thanks again guys and have a great Memorial Day.

Rick Doyle
05-29-2006, 10:27 AM
looks terrific - you're daughter will love it, i'm sure!

lou sansone
05-29-2006, 12:12 PM
nice piece and you have done a good job of hiding all the mistakes. you see, that is one of the differences between freshman and seniors. the seniors are much better at hiding the mistakes.

lou