PDA

View Full Version : more pecan fun

doug webb
05-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Still ignoring any and all obligations, playing with the green pecan. Pics show goblet being turned...Thanks for looking....doug

Jim Becker
05-28-2006, 1:17 PM
It's nice peekin' at your pecan!!

Michael Stafford
05-28-2006, 1:36 PM
Doug, is that wood called "pee-can" or is it "puh-kahn"? The first is used for night time relief in some areas of the country.....:p

Nice looking little goblet. Are we having fun yet?;) :D

Frank Chaffee
05-28-2006, 2:03 PM
Well Doug,
You keep having fun and I’ll keep peek’n’.
Great stash of wood you have; I sure see why you would choose to ignore other obligations with that stuff around!
Thanks for posting.
Frank

John Timberlake
05-28-2006, 3:30 PM
Love the goblet. Never turned any pecan, but it looks like it has a nice grain to it. Keep 'em coming.

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2006, 7:24 PM
Pecan goblet looks mighty good. Great work Doug.

Corey Hallagan
05-28-2006, 8:18 PM
Nice goblet and great pics!

Corey

Raymond Overman
05-28-2006, 9:44 PM
Doug, is that wood called "pee-can" or is it "puh-kahn"?

In Rocky Mount, NC you'd call it pee-can Michael. That is if Rocky Mount follows Mt. Olive, NC in it's pronunciation.

Nice looking goblet Doug. Green pecan is fun to turn. You should cover some up in your compost pile for a six or eight months and try spalted pecan. Pretty stuff.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-28-2006, 9:55 PM
Now you'll have a "pee-can" Goblet to go with that "puh-kahn" pie, or is it
"puh-kahn" Goblet to go with the "pee-can" pie? Well whatever. you get the idea right?:eek: Goblet lookin good my friend!:)

John Miliunas
05-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Very nice, Doug and it's got some beautiful markings on it! Gonna' be a gorgeous looking goblet! :) Don't forget pics once it's all finished up! :) :cool:

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-29-2006, 8:06 AM
Another gorgeous looking goblet, Doug, and thanks for the pics of the process!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2006, 9:03 AM
However you decide to pronounce it..........That's a fine goblet!

BTW....while stationed at NAS Brunswick GA (no longer a NAS there) we had a couple of pecan trees in the yard of the house we rented. We were dirt poor ( I made E-4 just as we moved there) my wife and I learned a couple of things. 1.........most importantly ...as we were about 1200 miles from our parents for the 1st time in our lives....we learned to get along with each other and....2. She learned to make a pecan pie from scratch.

Still the best 2 things in my life .....my wife and her pecan pie!

doug webb
05-30-2006, 6:19 AM
I am puh-leased that ya'll like my puh-kahn goblet. And yes, around heah, we know whut a pee-can is for. Raymond, check out my thread on flat forum, for pic of the only wood I have intentionaly spalted. Ken, a good woman is hard to find, but one who makes homemade pecan pie?, You are indeed a lucky man. I've been able to keep my piemaker around for 35 years now. Thanks for peeking......doug

pic posted on flat forum to keep out of trouble showing flat work to sensitive turning types.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-30-2006, 11:48 AM
My wife doesn't like pee-can pie, puh-kahn pie, or any variation of that. Sadly, though I have my maternal grandmother's recipe (Mom grew up in the southern cooking tradition), I can't utilize it... ;(

Keith Burns
05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Great progress pic's Doug and a fine goblet :) :) Pee-cans go under the bed !:D