PDA

View Full Version : I make em like I see em!

Bob Oswin
09-07-2003, 7:15 PM
I had a bit of fun today with a piece of cracked, spalted cottonwood
I would have lost it but for the crazy glue.
The stuff is really soft and tears like crazy.
There's no real secret to carvng these boxes once you understand your lathe and chucks.
I got this piece out and finished with Astro dot sanding papers and my special lacquer formula.
I hope she likes it! - haven't cut the base of yet . Still gotta check for fixables!

Bob

Jim Becker
09-07-2003, 7:57 PM
Beautiful, Bob! I can almost see myself in that shine...but that would be far to scary a thing. :D

Bill Esposito
09-07-2003, 8:22 PM
I
I got this piece out and finished with Astro dot sanding papers and my special lacquer formula.Bob,
Care to share the "special laquer formula"? :)

Bob Oswin
09-07-2003, 8:37 PM
Bob,
Care to share the "special laquer formula"? :)
Sorry bill I didn't mean to come over that way!
just too much info in one topic.

I use a lacquer sanding sealer until I can't see any more dips in the finish. this sometimes means an a re sand or two.
Next I brush Deft or similar lacquer all over the piece by hand.
Before it gels I quickly turn on my lathe for a couple hundred turns and smooth it with a decent brush.

No secret now!

Bob

Bob Oswin
09-07-2003, 8:48 PM
Beautiful, Bob! I can almost see myself in that shine...but that would be far to scary a thing. :D

Thanks Jim:
The finish should let the wood display it"s beauty!.

The real work is done, we merely expose it!

Bob

Tom Sweeney
09-07-2003, 9:09 PM
I love cracked spalted wood (probably cause most people say I'm cracked & punky ;) ) & that cottonwood sure looks nice.

I'm glad your secret finish isn't a secret anymore - I think it's just what I need for a hollow bowl I just made - OOPS just remembered I can't - the foot is already cut off :mad: Anyway I love the way it shines but still lets the woods beauty come through.

Angelo Schembari
09-07-2003, 9:14 PM
Bob - Great looking piece! Finish is amazing. I use Deft alot, but in satin. Gonna try your way next time.

Anthony Yakonick
09-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Yup, I know what you mean! :D