PDA

View Full Version : No Metal Shear

Greg Sloan
05-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I need to cut a brass plaque plate. I don't have a metal or plastic shear. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg Sloan

Jim A. Walters
05-28-2006, 7:47 PM
Is there a trophy shop near you that you could offer to pay a small amount to shear it? I would think that anything other than a shear would ruin the edge.

Don Baer
05-28-2006, 8:07 PM
harbor freight has several that would do the job for you. They range in price from 80 bucks to a few hundred depending on capacity.

Joe Pelonio
05-28-2006, 8:51 PM
If you buy the brass at the local trphy shop they will cut it for you. I happen to have one nearby that never charges more than a few bucks if I pay him cash.

Greg Sloan
05-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks Jim,

There is a trophy shop kind of close. I'll try there. Not to sure he will do it, since I'm kind of in competition with him. We are a few miles apart though.

Thanks Don,

I had not thought about habor frieght for a shear. I live pretty far away from most places that have any population. I'll look on line.

Thanks Joe,

I really wasn't expecting to get into trophys, so I bought else where. I guess I really need to spring for a metal shear. Just thought in a pinch there was away to cut it without wrecking the edges. Again thanks to all.

Greg Sloan

Keith Outten
05-29-2006, 8:15 AM
Greg,

In a pinch you can put your sheet metal between two pieces of plywood, use a couple of screws to hold it all together and use your table saw to make the cut. Make sure you use a blade with lots of teeth and cut very slow. This method isn't foolproof so I suggest that you run a test piece first.