PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help Question

Larry Norton
05-27-2006, 10:28 PM
I've just about run out of friends and family to ask, so I thought one of you might have the answer.

Here's the situation. I'm reading a post and it contains a link to click on. I click on the link, but when I close the link, the original post is gone. It takes me back to where I start out where you have to click on the icon to sign on to the internet.

Anybody got any ideas? I recently changed my IP to DSL from Cable, and I'm thinking that may have been when it started.

Thanks for your help. Please explain in simple terms because I am computerally challenged. I appreciate any help.

Larry

Ian Abraham
05-27-2006, 10:52 PM
If you right click your mouse on the link you will see a little menu pop up.
One of the options is "open in new window"
Use that and the page will open in a new window on top of the original.
Now when you close the second window the original one is still there and your connection wont have hung up as you close the last open window.

Cheers

Ian

Allen Bookout
05-27-2006, 11:03 PM
I would be shocked if it had anything to do with DSL vs Cable.

Sounds like that you are using a Windows machine. I do not run Windows but I have a suggestion that might fix your problem if you are using Internet Explorer.

Do a Google search for "Firefox". Download the version that corresponds to the system that you are running and install it (it is free). Very easy to do. It leads you step by step. Give it a try in place of Internet Explorer and let us know if it solves your problem.

Here is a place to start: http://www.firefox.com/

Allen

John Miliunas
05-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Larry, first off, what operating system and Internet browser are you using? If it's IE, it's a real simple matter of just holding down your "shift" key when you click on the link. It will automagically open the link up in a fresh window which, when you close it, you'll end up back at the original window you were looking at. :) :cool:

Allen Bookout
05-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Larry,

Even if you do get IE to work still give Firefox a try. You do not have to deal with multiple windows. You can use tabs instead and keep them open if you like and go back and forth with just a click. Great thing for comparison of prices or products. You can also install a version that has a version of Google tool bar that has some neat stuff but I do not use that kind of thing so it is just excess baggage to me.

Try it----you will like it.

Allen

John Miliunas
05-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Try it----you will like it.

Allen

LOL! :D Hey Allen...I did----Didn't like it! :D Still too many bugs with it and besides, many of the production sites we use on campus, won't work with FF. I do desktop and Network support for 80+ folks in one of the remote campus locations and, although some folks do use FF, we still need to have IE. I have found that, in order to do some of the modifications for FF, you have to go into obscure files and manually make changes that are otherwise handled be IE with simple "options" changes. It's an OK browser but, at this point, still too clunky in some areas. Heck, even found a couple "bugs", which after doing some research, have been on the docket for changes going on 8 months or more! :mad: Besides, IE 7 now has tabbing, as well! :) :cool:

Allen Bookout
05-27-2006, 11:44 PM
LOL! Besides, IE 7 now has tabbing, as well! :) :cool:
Good to know John! I have two XP machines but never take them on line so was not up to date on IE.

I have been running Mandrake, now Mandriva, on two computers for quite a few years now and really like it but do not network with Windows systems.

Allen

John Miliunas
05-27-2006, 11:58 PM
I have been running Mandrake, now Mandriva, on two computers for quite a few years now and really like it but do not network with Windows systems.

Allen

Funny you should mention those O/S's; I just loaded SUSE (dual boot w/XP) on one of my test machines at work. I don't care for the browser it comes with and will most probably be using FF on that one! :) I tried Mandrake many moons ago but, still wasn't intuitive enough for me (old, old Winders guy, here!:o ). Now we're on to SUSE 'cuz, we also support a Novell Network and the next iteration of it, will port to SUSE for the administrative interface. (I guess Novell now owns SUSE???)

I've got the Beta version of IE 7 on one of my boxes at work and, thus far, it seems to be working OK. It's got spam and anti-spyware filters and, I believe, even "phishing" filters built into it, as well as the tabbing and stuff like that. Time will tell what the hackers will find wrong with it! :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Allen Bookout
05-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Funny you should mention those O/S's; I just loaded SUSE (dual boot w/XP) on one of my test machines at work.
I test drove SUSE a few years ago but went with Mandrake. Just seemed like the thing to do at the time. Learned a lot. I'll bet that you are going to like SUSE after you use it for a while.

I've got the Beta version of IE 7 on one of my boxes at work and, thus far, it seems to be working OK. Time will tell what the hackers will find wrong with it! :rolleyes: :) :cool:

You got that right!!!!

HEY LARRY,

What is going on with your problem? We are just passing time waiting to hear so that we can give you some more great advice. Hope that it is good news!

Allen

Ian Abraham
05-28-2006, 1:20 AM
I would be shocked if it had anything to do with DSL vs Cable.

Some of the USB type DSL modems can be set up to 'connect on demand' rather than the allways on of a normal DSL router.
Maybe Larry has one of those ?

Cheers

Ian

Larry Norton
05-28-2006, 8:47 AM
Ian, I tried using ths Shift key, it didn't make any difference.

Allen, Your suggestion did! Man, you don't know how happy I am now! Thanks so much, Buddy!

Thanks to all of you who posted. You took the time to help me out, and that's what this forum is all about. One of these days, I may be able to help you out.

Thanks again!

Larry

John Hart
05-28-2006, 9:19 AM
Larry...there is also the "Reuse Windows for launching Shortcuts" options in IE settings.

go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced. Go to the Browsing Section and see if "Reuse Windows for Launching Shortcuts" is checked. If so, uncheck it.

Just a thought.:)

Allen Bookout
05-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Larry,

So glad that you got it going! It is such a pit to have problems like that when you need to use your computer.

Thanks for reporting back.

Allen

John Miliunas
05-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Larry,

So glad that you got it going! It is such a pit to have problems like that when you need to use your computer.

Thanks for reporting back.

Allen

Larry, ditto to what Allen said. :) I still find the behavior you described as "unusual", but hey, you're working now and that's what counts! :) :cool:

Larry Norton
05-28-2006, 4:42 PM
OK, so now I have another problem, well, 2 actually. When I shut down and reboot, the old problem comes back. I have to go to "Programs" and click on Firefox to get it back.

Second problem. With the old toolbars, I had a little black Verizon icon that I clicked on and it took me directly to my email. Now, once I go to the Firefox toolbar to get to my email, I have to manually type in my address and password to get to it.

I know there's a simple answer. Thanks so very much, Guys.

Allen Bookout
05-28-2006, 5:04 PM
Larry,

As I said I do not work with Windows much any more but it seems like that you can just drag and drop (put curser over the target and hold down on the left button and drag it to desktop, then release the button) the Firefox logo to the desktop and click "create a shortcut here". I think that that is right but might have to play with it a bit. You might can right click on it and get a pop up window with an option that says "Create Shortcut" and that would work. Things are acting a bit funny.

When you do have Firefox running you have two options.

1. If you want your Verizon Mail to be you home page first have the Verizon Mail page displayed on Firefox by typeing in the address or however you can get there and then at the top of the page click on "Edit", then "Preferences", then click on general, then click on "Use current page" and that will make it your home page. Every time that you click on Firefox to start that page will come up.

2. If you want something else for your home page just follow the instructions above to create it. Then for mail you can pull up your Verizon mail page and click on bookmarks, click on "bookmark this page", then on the very far right there is a small down arrow - click on that. Then highlight "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder" and click on "add" It will then be in the toolbar at the top of Firefox so that it is easy to find. Or you could just create it as a regular bookmark but as you add boodmarks it might get hard to find.

When you get to your mail Verizon page there may be a box to check that says something to the effect of remember me each visit. If you check that it should automatically check you in each time.

Keep us posted. I should be here most of the rest of the day so may be able to help. If it is a Windows problem we may have to get some Windows experts like John involved.

Allen

John Miliunas
05-28-2006, 6:05 PM
Thus far, it looks like Allen has you well covered! (Good job, Allen!:) ) If I can lend a hand, just holler! I'll be in and out at the Creek most of the afternoon/evening.... :) :cool:

Boyd Gathwright
05-28-2006, 10:17 PM
.... If anyone is interested in trying another browser for Windows try “Avant”
http://www.avantbrowser.com/

.... I find it to be pretty quick :).