PDA

View Full Version : layered turning

Dave Mcintire
05-27-2006, 9:18 PM
I saw this somewhere on the internet and thought it would be fun to try. I was pretty easy to glue up, you cut a board into tapered rings and stack them. Only problem there is very little overlap and the turning gets pretty thin. Its walnut and ash, about 10" dia by 4.5" high

Lee DeRaud
05-27-2006, 9:24 PM
Cut how exactly...scrollsaw?

George Conklin
05-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Wow! Now that's impressive!

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Holy cow! That is absolutely awesome. Nice work.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2006, 11:07 PM
That is knock down flat stunning!

I love the contrasting woods and the distinctive geometric pattern!

Corey Hallagan
05-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Pretty cool piece. Nice job!

Corey

Dick Parr
05-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Now that is nice! Very interesting, is there a place that gives a how to on making one.

You did a wonderful job on it Dave.

John Miliunas
05-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Yeah, what Dick said! Wonderful job on the bowl and any place we can check out a "how-to"??? That's really neat, Dave! :) :cool:

Curt Fuller
05-28-2006, 2:02 AM
What everyone else has said and then some. That is amazing. I'd love to know a little more about how you did that too.

Michael Stafford
05-28-2006, 6:19 AM
Wonderful work, Dave. That is a nice looking bowl, I like the patterns you were able to achieve.

I saw this technique in Malcolm Tibbett's book entitled " The Art of Segmented Wood Turning". Dave you did it perfectly!:D

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-28-2006, 6:41 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Dave Mcintire
05-28-2006, 9:31 PM
Heres where I found it on the internet -- www.michaelmode.com/technique.html (http://www.michaelmode.com/technique.html)

I didn't mean to make that a link but when I hit the enter key it did it automatically. If some one objects and deletes it send me a PM and I'll redo it (wish I was a better geek). Anyway his instructions on that page arn't real detailed but you can kind of figure it out. You can see the board he glued up, its only a little bigger than the diameter of the finished piece. Very efficient use of material I thought. I tried hard to make the laminated pieces square at 3/4" inch when the glued board was planed , but in hindsight I don't think it mattered much as they are on a bias when done anyway. I cut the rings for mine at a 22 1/2 degree angle. Outer ring cut on a band saw. For the remainder of the rings I drilled a very small hole at the same angle (drill press) for each ring, then inserted a #5 scroll saw blade in the hole and cut each ring with the scroll saw set at 22 1/2 degrees also. The rings are alternately turned 180 degrees and the entire thing is glued. When gluing make sure each ring is perfectly aligned with the next one.
The big problem is that there is very little overlap on the rings, about 1/4" and it doesn't depend on the width of the ring, only the angle (my rings were 1/2" wide). SO the scroll saw and bandsaw cuts and gluing must be accurate. Even so the piece got very thin and on final cuts lost its round shape pretty much as its so flimsy, so there was a lot of sanding to finish it. I think its kind of simple if your lucky enough to not blow it out. I would like to see some of your pictures of it.
Dave McIntire

Raymond Overman
05-28-2006, 9:34 PM
Sweet! Great form with the bowl and the pattern makes a very interesting piece. Excellent job.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-28-2006, 9:43 PM
Looks great Dave, super job.