PDA

View Full Version : Laminating Jig Recommendations?

George Summers
09-07-2003, 4:58 PM
I am getting ready to start a half-round table with about a 14" radius. For the apron, I am thinking of trying to laminate thin slices of board. I will need to make a laminating jig about 4" tall to clamp the laminations to (picture half of a 4" thick circular picture frame). Would I be better off gluing up five layers of something like 3/4" MDF and circle cutting it on the bandsaw (with a circle cutting jig) or should I miter some doubled 2x4's together, mount them on a sheet of 3/4" ply or MDF, and circle cut my jig?

George

Phil Phelps
09-07-2003, 5:59 PM
.. and after you make the first as a pattern, the rest should be slightly larger and trimmed with a flush trim bit, using the original.

Lynn Sonier
09-07-2003, 6:12 PM
Yea, what Phelps said. I made a jig to curve pieces for a rocker. I used MDF I picked up off the side of the road. I cut the first piece, smoothed it out well, and kept adding layers and using the flush cut router bit to trim the rest. Worked like a son of a gun. It was a 48 inch radius. If you want it, its in my attic.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-07-2003, 6:38 PM
What the others said...MDf and a flush trim bit. I made a bent apron out of cherry a short time back, and with a tighter radius (12" or so). I used pieces somewhere around 1/8" thick and plastic resin glue. I was pleasantly surprised to have very little springback.

The Bessey and Cabinet Master clamps are excellent for this application...

KC

George Summers
09-07-2003, 6:56 PM
Seems like everyone is suggesting using a trim or flush cutting bit to make each layer of the MDF individually. Why that way instead of gluing the layers together and using a circle cutting jig on the bandsaw to cut the outside radius and then shorten it up and cut the inside radius. Just seems like less steps and all I need is a trust in my circle cutting jig and bandsaw.

George

Bert Johansen
09-07-2003, 8:52 PM
George,

I just finished making a form for an unusual cathedral shape. (Remember the old radios? My project is a CD player inside the old radio.) Anyway, I made a form by gluing up seven 3/4 pieces of MDF and cutting the whole shebang on my bandsaw. I did it freehand, then touched it up with a sander. Worked great. The first side is in the clamps right now.

I'm using mahogany, and bandsawed each piece to just under 1/4 inch, then planed them down to 1/8. I am gluing up four pieces to give me 1/2 inches for the finished side.

When you get to the glue-up stage, consider a longer setting glue, such as Titebond Extended to give you some time to clamp and adjust. Be generous with your use of glue. I use waxed paper between the form and the first and last piece. (DON'T PUT GLUE ONE THE OUTSIDE!!!)

Before I glued the mahogany I tested this with poplar, and it has no springback.

Good luck!

BJ

Phil Phelps
09-07-2003, 9:15 PM
Seems like everyone is suggesting using a trim or flush cutting bit to make each layer of the MDF individually. Why that way instead of gluing the layers together and using a circle cutting jig on the bandsaw to cut the outside radius and then shorten it up and cut the inside radius. Just seems like less steps and all I need is a trust in my circle cutting jig and bandsaw.

George
..the reason for making a single pattern is, it would weigh a ton and be hell to cut. Five, 3/4" pieces of MDF, will challenge your blade to no end. You'll make a much better pattern from a single 3/4" piece.

Bob Oswin
09-08-2003, 2:38 PM
..the reason for making a single pattern is, it would weigh a ton and be hell to cut. Five, 3/4" pieces of MDF, will challenge your blade to no end. You'll make a much better pattern from a single 3/4" piece.

I wish one of you could toss up a picture right about now.
As usual, I am totally confused and curious as all get out!

Bpb

Bert Johansen
09-08-2003, 11:11 PM
I wish one of you could toss up a picture right about now.
As usual, I am totally confused and curious as all get out!

Bpb

OK Bob, here are some photos. Hope this helps.

Bert

Bob Oswin
09-09-2003, 7:19 AM
OK Bob, here are some photos. Hope this helps.

Bert
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Many Thanks
Bob