PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Bowl...almost

Lee DeRaud
05-27-2006, 6:22 PM
This was the aspen blank from Joe Melton: almost had it done when the buffer caught an edge, ripped it out of my hand, and slammed it against the lathe bed...never found most of the pieces. Fun wood, too: I thought that green color on the log was some kind of sealer...nope, it was the wood. And it smelled like mint while I was turning it.
Sorry Joe, hope you have better luck with the blank I sent you.

Don Baer
05-27-2006, 6:24 PM
Geez Lee thats a real shame. That was gonna be a real nice bowl..:(

Christopher K. Hartley
05-27-2006, 6:49 PM
That is great looking wood and a nice bowl shape. Could you cut down thew depth and still salvage it?

Lee DeRaud
05-27-2006, 6:57 PM
Could you cut down the depth and still salvage it?I'll think about it...tomorrow. Came inside from this fiasco to watch New Yankee Workshop and the stupid local PBS station started its Beg-A-Thon today.

I give up.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2006, 8:01 PM
Lee...............I had a glued up maple that had a knot in it. When I was buffing it out....the knot blew out. I just cut it down and returned the edge. Sorry for your incident!

Jim Dunn
05-28-2006, 9:03 AM
Looks artsy/f-rtsy to me:) Real interesting wood as well. Too bad about the break but I'd burn that edge and make it look original. Kinda like a NE bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2006, 9:21 AM
Lee I would try to take it down a little and see what it looks like. I think you still have enough to save it.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Wild wood Lee, too bad, but that stuff happens, I'd dig out the carving tools and have at it, make it look like it came that way, way too nice a piece to not save!

Cheers!

John Miliunas
05-28-2006, 11:42 AM
I agree with the rest of the guys, Lee! Salvage it! Pull out a Dremel or something and scallop the rest of the circumference or similar. Way to nice a wood to pitch and you did a nice job on the rest of it! :) :cool:

David Fried
05-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Or give it a good artsy name, "San Francisco 1906 Bowl"!

Looks nice - the green is really something. Sure looks like there is enough there to salvage. Git-r-done-again!!!

Lee DeRaud
05-28-2006, 1:54 PM
Ok, let's not get greedy...

Tried a couple different ways to get it back on the lathe, just couldn't get it to run true enough to do anything useful. So I slabbed off the broken part on the bandsaw and hand-sanded the rim round, ended up sanding back to bare wood over most of the outside surface.

The wall thickness that was ok for the "pottery" shape I started with looks a bit clunky now, but nothing I can do about it at this point. Pictures to follow when I get a new finish put on it.

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Final result, 5"x1-1/2":
Not my best work, but the coolness of the wood makes it a keeper.

Don Baer
05-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Great save Lee.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2006, 11:38 AM
Great save Lee!

A suggestion..../ ....question......Did you consider trying taping that to your faceplate using doublesided tape?

Or making a jam chuck out of foam insulation and recutting the lip while it's over the foam and the tailstock brought up to it for support?

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2006, 12:15 PM
A suggestion..../ ....question......Did you consider trying taping that to your faceplate using doublesided tape?

Or making a jam chuck out of foam insulation and recutting the lip while it's over the foam and the tailstock brought up to it for support?Tape/faceplate no: foot was too small and not particularly flat.
Jam-chuck/tailstock yes...but just couldn't get it to run true enough.

Christopher K. Hartley
05-29-2006, 2:29 PM
Lee, great save and you are right, it is a keeper. You have joined the ranks of The Few, The Proud, Santa's Elves! P.S. They make things too!:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
05-29-2006, 2:34 PM
I don't know Lee? He just called you an "elf".........a small mythical figure....a slave to a big oversized, overweight guy who wears red .....a jovial guy who drives a sleigh that is reindeer powered...not even horsepowered....Was that supposed to be a compliment?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Christopher K. Hartley
05-29-2006, 3:07 PM
I don't know Lee? He just called you an "elf".........a small mythical figure....a slave to a big oversized, overweight guy who wears red .....a jovial guy who drives a sleigh that is reindeer powered...not even horsepowered....Was that supposed to be a compliment?:eek: :rolleyes: :D Gosh Ken what's a guy gota do to stay out of trouble?:eek: :D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-29-2006, 4:59 PM
I was wondering if elf-ness was why some of the folks were dressed in green... :)

Lee DeRaud
05-29-2006, 5:05 PM
I don't know Lee? He just called you an "elf".........a small mythical figure....a slave to a big oversized, overweight guy who wears red .....a jovial guy who drives a sleigh that is reindeer powered...not even horsepowered....Was that supposed to be a compliment?:eek: :rolleyes: :D"Small"...that's relative, I guess. "Mythical"...yeah, I get that a lot.

But he left out "heavily armed" and "serious 'tude". :cool:

Well, at least he didn't call me an orc... :eek:

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-29-2006, 5:09 PM
Well, at least he didn't call me an orc... :eek:

I'd rather be an Orc than a Kobold any day... :)

Frank Chaffee
05-29-2006, 9:45 PM
Very good save Lee,
I was sure that given a good night’s rest you would pull it out.

Absolutely nothing clunky about it, and know that the form you saved does justice to that extraordinary chunk of wood.
Frank

Joe Melton
05-30-2006, 11:09 AM
Lee, you salvaged not only the wood but your reputation. Nice job.
Joe

Lee DeRaud
05-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Lee, you salvaged not only the wood but your reputation. Nice job.
JoeOh god, I have a reputation?!? I am so screwed...:eek: :p

Keith Burns
05-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Good save Lee:) I've turned 4 pieces of Joes wood and love the outcome. The wood makes up for any little imperfections.