PDA

View Full Version : Blank Cutting Help Needed

Christopher K. Hartley
05-27-2006, 5:52 PM
I have four logs I need advice on how best to cut to take advantage of the burls (if indeed they are burles), crotch and the elbow. I have numbered each so each one can get specific direction. Any help will be appreciated.:confused:

John Hart
05-28-2006, 7:48 AM
Mind you...I'm not very good at this sort of thing, but this is what I would do.

#1....chunk out a block for a hollowform
#2....slice it through that crotch for two feathered bowls or platters
#3....make the burl the base of a bowl and it'll show up in the bottom
#4....lop off the corners and mount it up as is for a winged gnarly lookin' thing

Christopher K. Hartley
05-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks so much John. this really helps!:D

Frank Fusco
05-28-2006, 1:02 PM
The burls are beyond your capability. Send them to me. :D

Reed Gray
05-28-2006, 2:40 PM
For #1, you could make a beautiful ne (natural edge) bowl, with the burn on top. Of course, it should be cored if possible. You could center the burl in the bottom of a utility bowl, but burl tends to have voids, which make it art.
#2 This looks more like a branch rather than a crotch (splitting of the main trunk. It should have some figure on the down side of the junction, and a little bit of feather figure. Cut through the pith of the log and branch.
#3 This looks like it could be a grown over broken off branch.
#4, Not sure what to make of this one, what does the other side look like?
robo hippy

Reed Gray
05-28-2006, 2:42 PM
For #1, you could make a beautiful ne (natural edge) bowl, with the burl on top. Of course, it should be cored if possible. You could center the burl in the bottom of a utility bowl, which would look nice, but burl tends to have voids, which make it art.
#2 This looks more like a branch rather than what I consider a true crotch (splitting of the main trunk). It should have some figure on the down side of the junction, and a little bit of feather figure. Center your cut through the pith of the log and branch.
#3 This looks like it could be a grown over broken off branch.
#4, Not sure what to make of this one, what does the other side look like?
robo hippy

Christopher K. Hartley
05-28-2006, 8:43 PM
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the help.