PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Recommendation....

Tony Falotico
09-07-2003, 4:44 PM
The local Big Box has a Delta 6" Jointer ticketed at $349. The box calls it a 37-190, yet the store sticker says JT360 on it. I find the JT360 on the Delta web site, yet do not see the 37-190 listed. Could this be a discontinued (old) model?

Anyway, no matter what they call it I'm ready to pick it up. :D Does anybody have one? Is it a good machine or should I let it stay at the store. :( :) Seems in the last days of the pond there was much discussion on Delta Machines.

Thanks for any input......... Tony.

Jim Becker
09-07-2003, 5:09 PM
Delta recently changed the model numbers on their lower-end tools when they adopted the "ShopMaster" branding for them...same tools, different paint and numbers. The specs should be identical for the purposes of comparison. If you're getting a good deal on the 190 and it meets your needs, go for it.

Jeff Cybulski
09-07-2003, 7:12 PM
Tony - I bought the Yorkcraft 6" about a year ago. For $299 ( plus $85 freight) it's quite a deal. Fit and finish were great and flt tables. It' very similar to the Delta 37-195 ,except for the switch mounting and the lever on the infeed table. In fact the manual is the Delta manual with the Delta logo blacked out. Check it out at http://www.wilkemachinery.com/

Regards,
Jeff

Jim Becker
09-07-2003, 7:54 PM
Tony - I bought the Yorkcraft 6" about a year ago. For $299 ( plus $85 freight) it's quite a deal. Fit and finish were great and flt tables. It' very similar to the Delta 37-195 ,except for the switch mounting and the lever on the infeed table.

The only thing about the Yorkcraft (and the Delta) that needs to get extra consideration is the room behind the jointer that the rack and pinion fence adjustment requires...the machine needs to sit farther from the wall than jointer with the "other" mechanism. That's not a problem unless space is dear, however.

Chuck Wintle
09-08-2003, 12:16 PM
If it is made in China carefully check it over before buying. Some of the stuff being made in Chinese factories is very poor in quality, Delta included.