PDA

View Full Version : pricing help

Ben Werner
05-27-2006, 2:46 PM
I have a stall in the local farmers market and I am wondering about how much money I can fetch for this piece. :D:confused: It stands about 3 1/4 and at the bottom has a 2 1/4 in diameter, the hole is about 1 1/2 in deep, its spalted curly maple

there are Pics of it in this thread: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37112&page=2

either you can do the poll your just post your answer which every is easier for ya.

FYI I live in a small college town.

Frank Fusco
05-28-2006, 8:20 AM
What something will sell for depends on how well you know your own market. Where I live, getting $10.00 even for something that nice would be unlikely. In an art gallery at a major tourist town, the $50.00 price tag would find a buyer quickly.

John Miliunas
05-28-2006, 9:12 AM
Ben, kind of like Frank said, it's all about location, location, location! :) As I see it, you have two things against you in your location: 1) Farmer's market; People are already there looking for "deals". 2) Small college town; Students are more likely to spend their $$ at the local salloons, rather than art! :rolleyes: However, pricing smaller articles like that at a bit lower range (I went the $19.99 range) can also serve as advertising! Advertising costs money and, even though I believe the piece is worth more, a lower price for some of the articles may bring you more traffic. Add a few more intricate pieces at a higher price and you may find that so-and-so showed the lesser expensive piece to a friend and they would like something even nicer and come out next week to see what you have to offer. :D Think of it as an "investment". Just my .02. :) :cool:

Bernie Weishapl
05-28-2006, 9:18 AM
John said it all. Location, location, location. My son sold some pen and pencil sets for me in Richmond, Virginia for $75 and $100 a set. Here I am lucky to get $35 to $45 a set. At a farmers market everyone is looking for bargins and won't pay the big bucks.

Ed Scolforo
05-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Ben, I missed the fact that this was a farmer's market. In that case, I would have to agree with what John and Bernie said. Personally, I think that if you can't get $40 for it I wouldn't sell it. Your time and materials are worth that much. If you're going to give it away, give it as a gift to someone you know. Just my opinion.
Ed

Jim King
05-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Location is certainly important but the wood and finish are what sell our turnings. Colorful woods and high gloss finish can never go wrong.

Ben Werner
05-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments!! I liked your suggestion John. thanks all for your votes.
Ben

Christopher K. Hartley
05-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Ben, I know I'm going against the grain here but this is simple fact. Selling has more to do with the Salesman than the market or the item. When you, the Salesman, perceive real value in an item you will have a greater belief in it's worth. Thus, when you go to sell that item you will be more likely to sell it at your value perception. Remember, "Selling is the transfer of your belief to your customer". People feel what you feel because that is what you project to them. Value is created when we realize the F.A.B. in selling. Features, Advantages, Benefit.

In the case of your box you first need to list the value setting Features:
What is the wood?;
How intricate or simple is the design?;
What is the form?;
What is the figure?
How unique is it?.
How much time and effort went into it?

Now, what are the Advantages?:
Is there some practical application?
Is there prestige in owning?

Then the Benefits:
Benefits are almost always emotional, it is all about how this product will make you feel.

Once you've done this there is nothing left to do but "Close the Sale"!:) If the quality is there, your items are worth more than you think!:eek:

Don Baer
05-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Ben,
I too am planning on selling some of my turnings but I have chosen a market that I feel is yet new and one where the folks just love to burn up there money, literally. My plan is to turn boxes either out of cedar or cedar lined and put them in a few cigar stores. I happen to have a friend who has already agreed to put them in his stores. His customers think nothing of spending hundreds of $$ on cigars so they certainly won't mind spending equal amount for some unusual humidors. I guess what I am saying is look for markets where the folks like to spend money and where they can appreciate fine art not where folks are looking for a bargen.

Frank Chaffee
05-28-2006, 1:52 PM
Value is created when we realize the F.A.B. in selling. Features, Advantages, Benefit.
Chris,
Thank you for bringing up this important aspect in the chain of events from project inception to use. Myself surely, and I bet many others can benefit from studying this.
Frank

Curt Fuller
05-28-2006, 2:14 PM
My wife has been in the art business for years and a guy that I've known from art shows told me a good story about selling your work. He claims the people that attend the street type farmers and artist markets usually make a stop on the way at their ATM for a few "yuppie food stamps", or $20 bills. He says that you need to price your items so that it works out in $20 increments, $19 something plus tax, $39 something plus tax, etc. What they really came to the market for is food and a little people watching but if they happen to see something they really like they have to decide if it's worth 1, 2, or more "yuppie" food stamps.

One other thing I've seen at art galleries and shows is that the more outrageously priced something is, the more attention it draws. Sort of like the emperors new clothes, no one wants to shout out that it's ridulous but they all talk about it and everyone has to go check it out.

And last, the thing you least expect to sell will almost always sell first.

Chris Barton
05-28-2006, 3:39 PM
While I have no first hand experience at selling my projects at these venues, I have done a lot of research and asked many, many pros like Jim Ketron and Gary Max (as well as others) about their experiences. You can be the greatest salesman on earth and at some venues and times of year you will come up almost empty handed. First, flea markets may be the worst venue to sell at. People are coming there with the idea that they will be getting something for nothing. Farmer's markets can be a little better but, remember, most people go to the farmer's market to buy produce and maybe some craft work if it strikes their fancy. For the most bang for you effort craft/art fairs are much better venues. The folks attending these are looking for what you are selling and aren't usually too afraid to let go of some money to get what they want. And, if you really want to hit pay dirt, sell at one of these craft fairs within 45 days of Christmas...

Best of luck!

Raymond Overman
05-28-2006, 3:40 PM
Ben,

I priced these (http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=33810&d=1142221610) little boxes at $20 each at a recent spring festival show. I sold one of them. If I were going to put them in a gallery with a nice display, maybe even a glassed case that the cashier had to unlock for you to hold one, I'd price them at $30 or $40. Especially the little burled pieces.

There was no amount of salesmanship that could get me by the, "What do I use that for?" at the spring festival show. I'm afraid you may have the same type response at a farmers/flea market where people are looking for bargains. Then again, you may have a bunch of people who are interested in handcrafted items and sell everything.

Good luck.

John Miliunas
05-28-2006, 4:39 PM
You know, I hate to say it but, I sincerely believe that much of the problem with selling these or similar handcrafted items is Walmart. And Target and Sears and any one of the big discount stores. Take a walk through sometime and take a look at, for instance, some of the wood jewelry boxes for sale. At first glance, they may even look OK. Closer scrutiny to the discerning eye, will see many, many shortcuts, nail holes where there shouldn't be any and inferior material and hardware. Look again, and I can just about guarantee a sticker on it, proudly displaying: "Made in (insert 3rd world country here)"! :eek: Most "typical" buyers won't notice that stuff but, they will notice the $9.99 price sticker!!! :( That, my friends, is what I'm afraid many of us are up against. :mad: Heck, I've even seen some pretty darn nice items, with decent quality at more "specialized" stores, which are still selling for a lot less than I would! Why? Because they're being shipped in from some place where even a skilled craftsman is getting a buck-two-eighty three a day to produce it! :(

I'm wondering that, if for small items, such as these turned boxes, might it help if one were to display a bit more than just the finished product? For instance, a rough blank of Maple, representative of the pretty box sitting on top of it? Maybe a few pics of the work in progress? Maybe even a sequential display of various stages of the work? Basically, something to let folks know that your boxes did not come from some cookie cutter mold, stamping these things out at the rate of 50 an hour. Possibly letting folks know that you really do have a couple man-hours invested in each piece, not to mention the materials, tool investments, etc... :confused: Just kind of rambling here. For me, most of the work I do goes into our own home or as gifts. When I had a bit more time and health was better, I was fortunate in having a fair amount of my work end up in a gallery in Madison, which had nothing but wood artisan displays in it and the items sold at a decent and pretty fair price. :) Not having hit a fair type venue, I'm just poking around at trying to come up with some marketing suggestions. Regardless, I sincerely wish you the best in your attempts with it! :) :cool:

Christopher K. Hartley
05-28-2006, 5:51 PM
Please don't anyone think I am offended or upset, quite the contrary. I only meant to be of some help to someone who wanted some direction. While I am new to turning, I am certainly not a novice at selling.
Let me explain what I was trying to say this way.

Here in the town of Spring we have a quaint old town that has been turned into a craft market. http://www.oldtownspring.com/ People come from all over to shop here. Some are bargain hunters and some are looking for that special item that is more important to them than price. Over the years I have shopped the town many times and I am always amazed at the way people do business. In some shops you are greeted with a smile and a friendly Texas "Howdy!", or at least "Hi!", Welcome to _______. The experience is one of help, questions about needs, wants and desires. When you ask about an item it is explained and you are just plain made to feel that the articles in this store have value. I've seldom found cheap prices.

In other stores someone sits behind the counter and hardly says a word. Prices are generally reflective of bargain basement and little is done to enhance the presentation. These stores generally last a season if that, while the others seem to be main stays.

There is also a place close by called Traders Village http://www.tradersvillage.com/ it is a flee market setting, but again, the same principles hold true.
While I will agree that pricing must be realistic the biggest problem in selling is not price but salesmanship. The biggest deterrent to staying in business is staying profitable and producing cash flow.

So, let's look at what we know:
The Vortex is not cheap.
The items we make are many times one of a kind, unique, individual, custom and personal.
Imagination, skill, thought, effort and time go into their making.
Some creations are practical; some are art.
Practical products can be priced to be competitive, art can be priced to the value the seller/creator believes it is worth.

Let me end this by quoting Ray Key. "Then you have to sell your work a pleasant, outgoing, friendly attitude will help.
So you are a maker, a designer and a salesman so far, but it doesn't stop there. You must also become a businessman, an accountant and professional in all your business dealings. Most importantly, you must set yourself realistic but high, standards and objectives."

I wish best of everything to all who endeavor to sell their creations!

Ben Werner
05-28-2006, 6:08 PM
Wow, so many selling Techniques and ideas upon trying to sell turnings!! you guys are sooo helpful THANKS ALL!!!!!! :D I guess I'll just have to experiment with your different ideas and Techniques to see which works best here in my hometown. :D keep the ideas comin'! :D
Ben

John Miliunas
05-28-2006, 6:16 PM
Let me end this by quoting Ray Key. "Then you have to sell your work a pleasant, outgoing, friendly attitude will help.
So you are a maker, a designer and a salesman so far, but it doesn't stop there. You must also become a businessman, an accountant and professional in all your business dealings. Most importantly, you must set yourself realistic but high, standards and objectives."

I wish best of everything to all who endeavor to sell their creations!

So Chris, you think it might help Ben out if he maybe wears a green shirt and dons a spiffy lookin' derby??? :D Seriously, you bring forward much good advice! Thanks! :) :cool:

Raymond Overman
05-28-2006, 9:31 PM
I guess I'll just have to experiment with your different ideas and Techniques to see which works best here in my hometown. :D

Ben, one thing I can tell you is figure your prices and stick with it. Don't waffle on your prices mid-stream. If you don't sell something you can reduce the price in a few months or even a year for annual shows but starting with a high price at 8 AM Saturday and having a fire sale on Sunday at 4 PM will not get you a good response from your customers. Especially in a farmers/flea market type situation where the same people spend their Saturday afternoon roaming around and visiting twice a month it's important to be consistent.

Good luck!

Ben Werner
05-28-2006, 9:48 PM
mmmm good point raymond... thanks

Curt Fuller
05-29-2006, 12:57 AM
This is a poem from a while back that everyone that tries to sell their goods should have near their display............

How Long Does It Take To Turn One of Those?

Do you mean

not plant the tree, but find the wood,<O:p</O:p

just 'see' the piece, (as if I could)?

to find a highly figured burl,

a crotch, an eye, or pearly curl?

And once I spy it, perhaps buy it,

inventory, store, and dry it?

Then saw or cut it, possibly I kiln it'

glue, imbue with fill, or drill it?

You mean, that once I'm satisfied

it's stopped the warps, checks, cracks, once dried?

And mounted on the lathe, to turn it,

(which takes much practice, just to learn it;

and then employ a gouge, or two,

or use a skew, which I don't eschew,

to mold it, shape it (what's your pleasure?)

by all means, I'm sure to measure,

then sand it smooth, please wear your mitts,

from coarse to fine, 10,000 grits,

then braze, or burnish, paint, or polish,

(the goal: enhance, and don't demolish)?

Is that your question, start to end,

how long's that path, its way to wend?

Or do you merely want to know how long it turned?

Ten minutes, or so.

John A. Styer, The Lathe-meister

Ben Werner
05-29-2006, 1:22 PM
Nice... one problem... for me its spinning ALOT longer than 10 minutes! lol
Ben

Andy Hoyt
05-29-2006, 2:07 PM
Ben - I chose not to vote. Here's why.

As near as I can tell, it's the only piece on the table in your booth. Everything has to be priced and considered in relationship to what else is available. Is the box competing with $250 bowls, or $5 ornaments, or some other item? Is it a loss leader? Is it representative of the low range, high range, or mid range.

Sorry to just ask questions without offering answers, but that's where my head is tight now.

Ben Werner
05-29-2006, 2:50 PM
Andy-
Questions are good. ever hear the quote: "there are no bad questions only bad answers"?:D

well here are my answers. It is probobly mid to high range of what I will be selling. So far all I have are a few boxes, a bunch of tops, and a couple of tooth pick holders. I am planning on making bowls to though probobly not bigger than 8 in diameters. I also hope to make some plates/platters. maybe so lidded bowl or ring boxes too. I honestly dont know yet:confused::D

Ben

Ed Scolforo
05-29-2006, 9:51 PM
"but that's where my head is tight now."
Andy, that's probably due to the pressure of two very snug tophats on two good-sized squashes :D .