PDA

View Full Version : Not new to turning but.....

Bill White
05-27-2006, 11:31 AM
new to real bowl work.
Got the Grizz 1067Z all together as well as the dovetail chuck. I have some nice spindle tools (scrapers, gouges, parting, etc.), and just ordered the 1/2" Sorby bowl gouge.
The question is, where can I find some good beginner bowl turning info? I understand the basics of turning, but technique is what I really need. Since Stu is too far away.......
DVD, video, etc. would be swell.
TIA.
Bill

Don Baer
05-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Our own Bill Grumbine has a great Vidio and another soon to be introduced. Heres a link to his web site which also contains a lot of great information.

http://www.enter.net/~ultradad/

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Bill.................BIll Grumbines video is a great learning tool!

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2006, 1:40 PM
Ditto the above. That is the only bowl turning DVD I have bought. My wife gave me on for my birthday by Mike Mahoney "From the Tree to the Table". It isn't to bad. He gives a lot of close ups and shows a lot of technique. With these two you will have probably about all you will need. Just my $1.298 from a newbie turner.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-27-2006, 3:05 PM
Get Bill's DVD, it is great!

You must be able to find some turning clubs in your area, go and see if they have some sort of mentoring program.

Cheers!

Mark Patoka
05-27-2006, 5:11 PM
Another vote for Bill's video. Walks you through it step by step. It helped me reaffirm some of the things I thought I was doing right and some better ways of doing them.

Jim Davenport
05-28-2006, 7:20 AM
Ditto on Bill's video. I've watched it a bunch of times.
Bills down to earth style, knowlege, and skill akong with the quality of the video, make this one of the best I've seen.
I haven't had a lot of shop time lately due to work. So I'll watch the video to refresh my self prior to doing a project on the Rikon.

John Miliunas
05-28-2006, 9:27 AM
Hey Bill, have you ever thought of maybe picking up Bill Grumbine's DVD on turning??? :confused: :D It's a great piece and will give you some great techniques to use plus, it's pretty much "required viewing" for all "newbie" turners here at the Creek! :D FWIW, I'd hurry up and get it, so that you'll be prepared better when "Volume Two" comes out. (He's in the final stages of getting that out, as well!) Also, if you have a Woodcraft handy, most of them offer some classes at pretty reasonable prices. And, if there's a WC store, there's a good chance they may also sponsor a turner's club locally, as well. Check it out, as nothing beats actual hands-on instruction! Most importantly, chuck up some wood and start practicing! :) :cool:

Gary Max
05-28-2006, 10:20 AM
There are several Turning clubs in Menphis---you just can not beat watching the real thing.