PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking in San Antonio, Texas

Jonathan Patrick
09-07-2003, 4:09 PM
I wll be visiting San Antonio in mid-October. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any woodworking related stores or sites of interest in the area. I'll also be passing through Dallas so I'm interested about any locations there as well.

Thans
Jonathan Patrick

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-07-2003, 6:53 PM
If you'll be driving and you're in the neighborhood the weekend of Oct 10-12, you have to make the hour-long drive to Fredericksburg for the annual Mesquite Art Festival. Not only can you see me there :D , but you'll see some stunning work by 60 or so other woodbutchers, a couple of them featured on Modern Masters. There's also usually a big hot-rod show in Boerne the same weekend if you're into that.

As for San Antonio, there really isn't much to look at. If you wanna see some pretty wood, check out Alamo Hardwoods downtown. If you think you might want to actually buy something there, take lots of money with you.

If you happen to get to NewBraunfels, check out the Museum of Texas Furniture. It costs five bucks to get in, but they've got some interesting old stuff in there, as well as an old cabinet shop with the toolery intact. The ladies who give the tour are quite friendly and enjoy talking to woodworkers...especially if it's a small group.

KC

Lee Schierer
09-07-2003, 7:05 PM
I highly recommend a stop at KC's shop and show room to see the mesquite. See if he'll part with a few scraps for you to take with you. It is an easy drive east of San Antonio and pretty easy toi find!

In Dallas, stop by and see Steve Jenkins shop and see his great work it will be worth the trip. He might even let Phil or some of the others stop over if you give hime some notice!

Todd Burch
09-07-2003, 10:52 PM
While my friends in Houston tell me I live in East San Antonio, (Katy, Texas), I'm still about 3 hours east of San Antonio! (In some parts of the country, if you drive for 3 hours, you'll go through several states :eek: ... Not Texas!) However, if you are near, give me a holler and I'll put out the welcome mat. (Actually, it's always out!)

Todd.

Tom Scott
09-08-2003, 12:53 AM
On your drive (I'm assuming) up to Dallas, You could stop off in Wimberly and check Gary Weeks' Gary Weeks (http://www.garyweeks.com) shop. It's not huge, and shouldn't take too long, but he is a darn nice guy to talk to and does some beautiful work.

Tom

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-08-2003, 7:42 AM
On your drive (I'm assuming) up to Dallas, You could stop off in Wimberly and check Gary Weeks' Gary Weeks (http://www.garyweeks.com) shop. It's not huge, and shouldn't take too long, but he is a darn nice guy to talk to and does some beautiful work.

Tom

I've not seen Gary's new shop, but I agree he's a fine dude...and he's done a fine job on his new website. Worth a look.

Lee...thanks for the 'recommendation'...and everybody is always welcome to drop by the mesquite outfit in Seguin...but not from about the 7th-14th of October since we'll be in Fburg.

KC

Tom Scott
09-08-2003, 9:56 AM
KC,
I don't thiink Gary's shop is new. In talking to him and his wife, sounds like they have always been in the same location. Looks like a fairly new showroom, though.
The wife and I stopped by this summer while cruising around the hill country. He was very nice...showed me around his shop, his procedures, special machinery he's made, and answered my stupid questions.

Tom

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-08-2003, 7:19 PM
KC,
I don't thiink Gary's shop is new. In talking to him and his wife, sounds like they have always been in the same location. Looks like a fairly new showroom, though.
The wife and I stopped by this summer while cruising around the hill country. He was very nice...showed me around his shop, his procedures, special machinery he's made, and answered my stupid questions.

Tom

Yeah, it's new. It may be a couple years old now, but the whole setup has been re-done from what he had several years back. As I recall, they pretty much shut things down for a period of time to build it. He's got something about that on the website.

KC