PDA

View Full Version : Walnut box funnel..........

Barry Stratton
05-27-2006, 3:16 AM
My KD walnut arrived so I rushed right into another box attempt. Big Mike was right (as usual), kiln dried is the way to go!!! Much easier to control wall thickness and the scraper. One thing that surprised me was hot HOT the shavings were while hollowing!

Things were going well, the basic shape I attempted came out okay, fitting the lid was a piece of cake.

Then I got a little "cocky" and decided to simple part the bottom off the chuck. I thought I had enough room, but, as you can see....... oops!

Oh well, a successful failure in my book. I guess I just have to do it again!

Michael Stafford
05-27-2006, 5:52 AM
OOOOPS! Heck, Barry, I am sorry for that cause you had a keeper going there. I guess this is a case of measure twice and cut once.....

One thing you might try is to carefully measure the depth before cutting and marking that on your lid before you make your parting cut. Then just remember to part one parting tool width away from your depth mark and you will be good to go. I have my funnels nailed to the rafters in the shop....I am running out of room.....:o

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-27-2006, 6:01 AM
Hey Barry, nice exicution just the same!

Why not make a "Stand" for it, then you can call it "Art".................(or Bob, or Jim, or Sam)

:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Barry that is a nice looking box. I did that on one of my first boxes. I cut the bottom off and glued a 1/4" piece of walnut to the bottom and finished turning it. My sister has it and after finishing you can't even tell it had been glued. I think it would be worth a save. Here is the second box I went thru the bottom on. It is cherry I glued a piece of maple to it and finished. Didn't have another piece of cherry so did maple just to see if I could do it.

Corey Hallagan
05-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Crap, that would lof been a nice one Barry. Great looking walnut!
Corey

laurie sullivan
05-27-2006, 11:06 AM
i agree with bernie, it's repairable. cool looking box. i wouldn't trash it, i'd be kicking my self, but i think either the same wood or even a contrasting base would be nice looking. keep up the great work.

laurie

Ken Fitzgerald
05-27-2006, 1:00 PM
Nice form Barry! Glue on a piece and finish it!

Doug Thompson
05-27-2006, 1:27 PM
Remember, DoDo happens! I will say that's some nice DoDo:D

Tom Sherman
05-27-2006, 2:46 PM
Barry nice box to bad about the bottom. You could try to even out the hole and cut a plug the right size and glue and finish off on the bottom. Just a thought.