PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day....the meaning of..........

Joe Mioux
05-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Indulge me.

I really want to read and learn what Memorial Day means to all (many) of you at SMC.

For me, as long as I can remember, Memorial Day morning was spent helping my dad deliver the war memorial floral tributes to the cemetary for the annual ceremony. These florals consist(ed) the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, The Catholic War Veterans, The Ex Prisoners of War, and The Gold Star Mothers. In the "80's the Vietnam Veterans added their tribute to ceromony. As the WWII generation dies off so does the people willing to participate. This is sad.

I fondly remember cloudy overcast cool mornings climbing up the hillside (it has become a lot less large over the past 40 years) carrying the floral tributes. Once a year, my dad met the PA guy setting and they joked about only meeting once a year.

Today, as has been the format for the last 15 years, it has been my turn to make these deliveries and design these tributes. Nothing special about the floral arrangement, but more and more heart felt.

I always enjoy making these deliveries and I appreciate them more now that I am in my 40's and my parents are in their 80's and......... well ..

The last couple years this holiday has taken on a more important role in my life and I continue to appreciate the rolls families have played in our lives because of this holiday.

Thank you for reading.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-26-2006, 11:19 PM
And while we sit in our homes and enjoy the benefits of living in this country.........and disagree on things..........and agree on things......we do so at the expense of the many servicemen and women who gave their lives in service to this country! It's sad that more people don't appreciate the holiday for the reason for which it orginated!

My salute to those brave souls!

Don Baer
05-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Several years ago I posted this to another forum. I hope no one thinks it is offensive. It expressis my feelings.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap width="100%"></TD><TD noWrap>Sent: 11/11/2003 6:50 PM</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=10 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
Thank you from a Veteran

In 1965 I joined the Navy, fresh out of high school. The draft was in force and I knew it was only a matter of time so I joined rather then wait. Many of my high school friends did the same while other waited. Many of them never returned home and still other weren’t the same when they did come home.
When I joined I was proud to be able to serve my country proud of my country and proud of my fellow Sailors/Soldiers/Airmen and Marines. I was proud of the uniform because it symbolized all of the right things and put me in the company of the many brave men who were serving their country.
When I returned home for visits I wore the uniform with pride. As time progressed my superiors told me that it might be a good thing not to wear the uniform when on leave since it would make me a target for those who didn’t agree with my serving. I continued to do so in spite of them and I dared them to do anything to disgrace the uniform that I wore. The uniform that said I was a member of the greatest armed forces the armed forces that was protecting their right to protest. I held my head up high even as they shouted their obscenities at me because I knew I was right and they were wrong.
When I received my honorable discharge in 1971 and returned home I still wore my uniform with pride in spite of those who were protesting since I knew that I had done my part to insure their freedom.
I now have a son who I am proud to say is a volunteer; he is a Navy Corpsmen, a medic assigned to the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> Marines. I pray every night for him to be kept out of harms way but I also am proud to see him in his uniform and he to has told me that he is proud to defend our country.
Several months ago I was in San Diego on a business trip and there was a protest going on about the war going on in the Gulf. At first I was angry and hurt. It brought back all of the memories of those years in the late 60’s and early 70’s when so many of my friends were in harms way, many of them were not coming home because they were wearing their uniform and serving their county so that their people would have the right of free speech. All I could do was walk away so I stepped into a neighborhood bar to cool off and have a beer. While standing at the bar I noticed three young men who had short haircuts but were wearing civilian clothes sitting a few stoles away. I asked them what ship they were off of and they looked a little surprised but they told me. I asked them why they weren’t in uniform and they told me that they were told not to wear them because of the protestors. I was speechless since it brought back so many sad memories.
I did all I could do; I bought them all a beer and thanked them for my fellow countrymen.
Now every night when I pray for may son I pray for all of those young men who have volunteered to serve their country, who have volunteered to go into harms way and may not come home.
Now I want to thank all of my fellow American for giving me a chance to serve them in the military I want to thank all of the men and women who have gone in harms way in the service of this great country. I want to say GOD Bless America.

A proud Vet I

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Vaughn McMillan
05-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Joe, very nice post..and Don, thanks not only for the post, but for what you did to be in the position to write it.

And thanks to all the past, present and future service men and women for their willingness to do what they do.

- Vaughn

Keith Outten
05-27-2006, 8:49 AM
Don,

I was a few years behind you but the story is the same.

To All,

Don't forget to fly your American Flag on Memorial Day, it should be at half mast untill noon then raised.

Curt Fuller
05-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Like may people, my wife and I make the rounds to the local cemetaries on Memorial Day and place flowers and flags to honor and remember our lost ones. But one that always tears me up is the grave of Jerry Miller. Jerry's mother and my Dad were cousins so I'm not sure how that related Jerry and I. Growing up, Jerry lived next to my Grandparents. He was 5 years older than me and was the big brother I never had. I tagged along with him (probably a real nuisance) every chance I had. He joined the Navy and became a medic stationed on a hospital ship off the coast of Viet Nam. He was flown on a helicopter into a combat situation and was killed as he stepped out of the helicopter. Just one of the tens of thousands of young guys that died in Viet Nam but one that hit home for me.
Many people have similar stories and memories, many are first hand experiences. I have a deep respect and honor for every single person that has served their county in any branch of the military, as a police officer, or a firefighter. I served in the Army for 3 years (no combat) and the National Guard for 6 more years after that. But the story of Jerry Miller has always left a bad taste in my mouth that has festered over the years. I know it's unpopular to feel the way I do but a quote from a former President of the United States (who was also somewhat unpopular) expresses my feelings...

“It is very difficult to wage peace. It is slow, tedious, frustrating, often unsuccessful and rarely publicized. War is very popular-disturbingly so.
<O:p</O:pJimmy Carter<O:p</O:p

Thanks Joe for a chance to express myself. And especially Thanks to all of the families who gave the ultimate gift for the privilege of FREEDOM!

Carl Eyman
05-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Curt, well put! I hope all Creekers of whatever persuasion will read your post carefully, and respectully.

Jim O'Dell
05-27-2006, 2:43 PM
Guys, I'm reading this and chills are running up and down my back. Thank you and all the others for your contributions to our country. I graduated HS in '74, so the draft was just ending and I was not called. I still remember carrying my draft card for years until it disentegrated in my billfold sometime in the late 80's. I was classified as 1-A, so knew if the draft was still alive I would have gone. I believe that classification was administrative, been too long now. But I would have joined the Navy, and would have wanted to be on an aircraft carrier if possible. Always loved planes.
My Dad served in Korea, Army 45th Infantry. He has always been my hero. As are the millions of others who have or are serving in our Armed Forces. I pray that God watches over each and every one. Jim.

Jerry Olexa
05-28-2006, 5:11 PM
We have much to be THANKFUL for and esp. to the men/women who protect this freedom....Several good posts here..

Ray Bersch
05-28-2006, 6:28 PM
For the past 8 years Memorial Day weekend is our first long weekend at our summer home in Maine. The dock goes in the week before, then I install the reciever for the flag pole, it is lashed to the steel legs of the dock, then I put the pole in the receiver and I raise the colors - the National Ensign flies daily and the Marine Corps colors fly when I am at the lake. It is always a thrill for me to raise the colors and step back to give a quick salute.

But this year the feeling was a little different. I am deeply saddened by the recent events in Iraq and I looked at my Marine Corps flag and winched a little, shook my head, gave a quick salute and walked away with a sick feeling in my stomach. I remain as proud as ever of my Marine Corps but I feel so badly for the Corps, for the nation and for the men involved. You know, we train them to kill, we teach them that each must fight to the death to save another (and they will,) we expose them to dangers on a daily basis for far longer than necessary, they face people ready to kill them, taunt them, hide behind their "civilian" status only to shoot them when they turn to leave..........and we wonder why they snap every now and then. And to make matters worse, their Commander in Chief says the whole thing was a mistake, but he is glad we are there!! Would any of you want to go?

Don't get me wrong, I do not in any way condone what our men did. There should have been better discipline and leadership, from the Sergeant in charge all the way up the chain of command. I am just saying that I can see how it happened, I can understand it. But I truly regret that we have once again put our brave young men (and now women) in the position to waste their lives for a war that none of us truly understand. I experienced first hand the deceit of the Vietnam War - I supported our leaders at every chance I got - only to find out that we were duped after all - I thought our country would never do it again - and now I have found myself supporting a war once again, and once again for all the wrong reasons, trust of our leadership.

We train them to kill and put them in harms way and now our Corps, our nation and the men involved must suffer the consequences. What a waste.

This is a sad Memorial Day for me but at least I do remember and am gratefully with all my heart, for the sacrifices of the men and women who fought to keep our country free. Lets just not do it again for all the wrong reasons.

Ray

John Hart
05-28-2006, 7:53 PM
What does Memorial Day mean to me?

It is a reminder that, for thousands of years, our civilization has been at war with itself...almost continuously. In most cases, the wars have been senseless...but nevertheless, they occur and brave individuals have given themselves unselfishly.

In our country, we are at war even when we are at peace. For our military, peacetime activities can be just as deadly as wartime because our people have to be at the edge all the time....ensuring our security.
Even as there is a war in the Middle East, we have brave individuals stationed at other places all over the world...ever vigilent...at their post....ensuring our security....because they know that there are those, lying in wait, looking for an opening.

Memorial Day is a day of reflection for me. I spend the entire day thinking about those who gave their all for us but are no longer with us. There are people who gave of themselves two hundred years ago that affect our lives today....and those who are giving of themselves at this very moment and may not be here tomorrow. Whether it was 200 years ago or yesterday, these fine individuals deserve so much recognition from those who benefit so much from that sacrifice. They deserve more than us getting the day off or having a barbeque. At the very least, they deserve a day of reflection. And that what I give them.

Nice Question Joe, and I admire your tribute. Have a good Memorial Day!