PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Form

Ed Scolforo
05-26-2006, 7:09 PM
Hey, guys. Here's a turning from a piece of burl given to me. I wanted to try a more curved profile and it gave me an excuse to order Don Pencil's Scorpion set, which I intended to get at some point anyway;) . The form is kinda flattish, like an onion, and the widest part probably should have been higher up, but my wife likes it, and that's what's important, right? It's 8" diam. x 3" high, Bush Oil finish and a Beall buff on the outside. Thanks for looking.
Ed

Bernie Weishapl
05-26-2006, 7:18 PM
Ed looks awesome to me. I like the form and finish. Hey if the wife likes it that is what counts.

Kurt Rosenzweig
05-26-2006, 8:11 PM
Very nice peice! I wish my stinger would show up from Don! It's been a couple months since I ordered it and nodda!

Corey Hallagan
05-26-2006, 8:19 PM
SWEEET! That is just a cool piece. Nice job Ed!

Corey

Travis Stinson
05-26-2006, 8:38 PM
I love what you did with the rim Ed! AWESOME!:cool:

Keith Burns
05-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Great piece Ed. Love the form:) :) :)

John Timberlake
05-26-2006, 10:07 PM
That would make me really nervous turning that piece. Looks great. Good piece of wood and great job turning and finishing.

Dick Parr
05-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Wow outstanding Ed, that is a wonderful looking turning and some great looking wood. Love the shape and edge's.:)

Michael Stafford
05-27-2006, 5:59 AM
Ed, you da man! That is just beautiful. The wood, the form and the finish on the bottom are terrific! Good job!:D

John Hart
05-27-2006, 6:48 AM
I just can't get over what you've done here Ed. The piece is so beautiful overall but the way you handled the edges makes it look like it's in motion or that you captured a frame of an explosion. Just awesome!!!:)

Chris Barton
05-27-2006, 8:38 AM
I just can't get over what you've done here Ed. The piece is so beautiful overall but the way you handled the edges makes it look like it's in motion or that you captured a frame of an explosion. Just awesome!!!:)

I agree with John! You did a great job on this Ed. The words "fluid" and "dynamic" come to mind when I look at it!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
05-27-2006, 8:45 AM
Ed, that is really nice, you have done yourself proud, and yes, "The wife likes it" is all that is needed :D

How do you turn something like that (I know, I know, CAREFULLY!) but really the out side first, and then the inside?

Did you use a steady rest of some sort?

Sure is easy on the eyes! :)

Cheers!

Ed Scolforo
05-27-2006, 8:59 AM
Thank you all for your generous feedback. Stu, I just turned it like a regular bowl, no steady rest. The inside had a bit more curve than I thought I could reach with the bowl gouge so I played with the scraper bit on the Scorpion.(That's gonna be quite the learning curve!)
Ed

Glenn Hodges
05-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Ed that is a beauty. That wood is outstanding and what your did with it is also.

Curt Fuller
05-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Wow, that's a beauty!

Barry Stratton
05-27-2006, 12:13 PM
WOW! Amazing "exploding" art. Absolutely beautiful.

Frank Chaffee
05-27-2006, 4:42 PM
Breathtaking discovery Ed!:)
I don’t know anything about turning skills except to see where they have been used, and I certainly see evidence of them used here. Very graceful form all around and lovely delicate work at the rim.:cool:
Frank