PDA

View Full Version : Resaw Blade Help

Rich Torino
05-26-2006, 6:13 PM
About 3-4 months ago I purchased a 1/2" Wood Slicer blade for my G0555 Grizzly. I was really impressed with the performance of the blade...greatest thing since sliced bread (no pun intended). I've probably used the blade about a dozen times to cut some 1/8-1/4 inch veneers out of hard woods like Wenge, Paduk, Purple Heart and Curly Maple for some small craft type projects... I read everything I could on SMC regarding set ups etc for resawing and had no problems. The blade has been on and off the machine about a dozen times also. I hang it up on a wood peg when not in use... Today I put the blade back on the saw and adjusted all the guides and was ready to cut a couple of pieces of veneer from a piece of Purple Heart and the blade wouldn't even slice bread.....dull as all get out.. I tried to cut a piece from something sogter like poplar and while it did cut it pulled like crazy and didn't make too straight a cut...
Any thought on this would be appreciated. I really don't think that the blade should have dulled so quickly....

Chris Barton
05-26-2006, 6:15 PM
I know this will sound dumb but, are the teeth pointing down or up? I have mounted a blade upside down before...

Vaughn McMillan
05-26-2006, 6:20 PM
Chris beat me to the punch. I had a similar experience with my 3/4" 3TPI blade a few weeks ago. I was thinking "Man, this thing sure cut a lot better last time I used it". It was making smoke while trying to cut 3 1/2" pine. Then I realized I had the blade installed upside down.

I'll bet lunch that your blade is upside down. ;)

- Vaughn

Duan Packard
05-26-2006, 6:43 PM
Number three on the hit parade. Check and see if the blade got turned inside out which results in the blade being on backward (teeth pointing up)
DHMHIKT

Duan

Perry Holbrook
05-26-2006, 7:10 PM
Is it possible that the last time you used the blade did you got it hot. Heat is a real killer on non-carbide tip BS blades.

Perry

Scott Donley
05-26-2006, 7:10 PM
You mean I am not the only one that has done that ;) Hey, but it still cut, sort of :o :o

lou sansone
05-26-2006, 7:25 PM
If the backwards blade is not the problem, could it be rust on the tips of the blade. I see that you live in FL and I know how humid it can get there. is there any chance that through the heating and cooling cycles of the day, that moisture condenced on the tips of the blade and actually rusted them. I would think that it would not take much rust to actually dull the blade.

lou

Rich Torino
05-26-2006, 7:32 PM
Before I EVER thought of asking for help on the creek I checked the the blade .... not that I haven't done some Dumb S___ stuff exactly like that, but this time the blade was in correctly...
The blade show no sign of rust. I'm fortunate enough to have the shop insulated and air conditioned.
I'm going to call Highland Hardware on Tuesday and order another blade and have a conversation with them and describe the problem.. I'm not looking for a freebe but if it's something I'm doing I really want to stop..

Rich Torino
05-26-2006, 7:35 PM
Perry,
It's possible I did heat the blade up the last time I used it... While I don't see any signs of "blueing" on the blad it will be somthing I'm conscious of in the future.
Is there a good carabide vesion of a resaw blade available??

Perry Holbrook
05-26-2006, 8:01 PM
Perry,
It's possible I did heat the blade up the last time I used it... While I don't see any signs of "blueing" on the blad it will be somthing I'm conscious of in the future.

I just ordered my second carbide Tri-Master blade made by Lennox. The first one lasted over a year of pretty heavy use. The blades cost about $1.00 an inch and are not meant for smaller saws but they do a fine job. The guy I bought it from runs a full service saw and tool shop for the local furniture plants. Since my current blade is not completely dead, he said he would try to re-sharpen it although that is not always successful. Sometimes the blade has enough fatigue that sharpening is not a good idea.

Perry

Frank Fusco
05-27-2006, 10:56 AM
Perry,

I use the Grizzly G0555 also. My resaw blade is a 3/4"X3tpi Timberwolf, does a fantastic job. I've done a lot of 'hard' hardwood (osage orange and others) resawing up to it's 6" limit. I believe last time I ordered blades from Suffolk Machinery, they told me the carbides didn't start until 1" blades. Speakin' from memory, could be wrong but it would be the first time. :rolleyes: