PDA

View Full Version : first hollowing (in progress) PICS

Bill Esposito
09-07-2003, 8:13 AM
Hi folks,

I actually thought this would go flying off the lathe or I'd explode it but so far so good. I really didnt give much thought to the shape so this one will probably end up as a potpori bowl or the like. It's roughly 7.5" in diameter and about 3.5" tall and is clear maple. The opening is about 3.5" as well.

I used a sorby multitip tool for some of the hollowing as well as my trusty bowl scraper from Packard. The sides are pretty even at 1/4" thickness and the bottom a bit more because I recesses the chuck dovetail and in this design there isnt a pronounced base so the thickness had to account for the depth of the dovetail.

I wasnt happy with the way the sanding was coming out (lots of lines) so I've a sorby angle sander on order.

http://cerealport.net/woodworking/hollowbowl1.jpg
http://cerealport.net/woodworking/hollowbowl2.jpg

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-07-2003, 8:29 AM
Looks pretty good Bill. Those hollow form vessels sure are pleasing to the eye. One thing I have found in the few days I have been turning, ;) is that you really have to work thru the various grits of sandpaper to get that glass smooth finish. Sanding on the lathe is much different than sanding flat work. Surprised me as much an anything so far. A video tape I viewed suggested starting at 80 or 100, and progressing to 600, or perhaps finer. On my next turning, I will be experimenting thru the various grits to see how smooth the finish will become. Being new to turning, it is hard to be patient and sand all the way to completion................I just want to get that sucker off the lathe and show somebody! :D I am still learning.............and I don't think I could be where I am now without all the great help I have received from my Sawmill Creek friends. :) Nice Work Bill, thanks for sharing it with us. Please post a picture of the finished product, I would love to see that turning when complete.

Bill Esposito
09-07-2003, 9:21 AM
One thing I have found in the few days I have been turning, ;) is that you really have to work thru the various grits of sandpaper to get that glass smooth finish. Sanding on the lathe is much different than sanding flat work. Kevin,
Thanks. Yes, I always work through he different grits but even so I can still see sanding lines because hand sanding on a lathe is still always sanding in the same direction. A tool like the Sorby (or a powered sanding pad) spins as it sands and more easily removes/doesn't create those lines....at least that's what I've read :) I'll let you know how it works out this week when it gets here.

Not to mention sticking my hand inside this spinning bowl to sand is a bit dangerous and it was that (my finger hurt for a while) which seriously got me looking at the Sorby.

Tom Sweeney
09-07-2003, 12:54 PM
I like it a lot. The hollow form I just did is different than yours. It's about 6 1/2" round and 2 1/2" high the middle of the bowl is the largest diameter. The opening is just about 3/4" diameter - so I didn't sand the inside at all. I did run into some of the same sanding problems on this one though. I think the wood might have something to do with it.

One thing I do & it seems to help the scratches, is to turn the lathe off & hand sand in the opposite direction as the turning sanding - top to bottom of the bowl. just slowly spin the bowl by hand till you get all the way around. I do this with about 400 grit & then go back to sanding on the lathe with 600 grit & oil.
This one was difficult to hand sand on the back side of the bowl because Of the 4" faceplate (hey it's all I have) & you can tell the difference between the top & bottom of the finished bowl. The other thing is I can't get this wood to "POP" I tried tung oil sanded it off. shellac - sanded it off then finally just used salad bowl finish (didn't darken the wood as much) and wax - but I'm not happy with it.
I'm thinking about buying a can of Deft & trying that.

Definately post a finish picture of your bowl.

Jim Becker
09-07-2003, 2:30 PM
Really nice job, Bill...especially considering that the shape of that particular vessel is one of the harder ones to hollow due to the "sharp corners" front and back. I look forward to seeing more of your great work!

Bob Oswin
09-08-2003, 8:36 AM
[QUOTE=Bill Esposito]Hi folks,

I actually thought this would go flying off the lathe or I'd explode it but so far so good. I really didnt give much thought to the shape so this one will probably end up as a potpori bowl or the like. It's roughly 7.5" in diameter and about 3.5" tall and is clear maple. The opening is about 3.5" as well.

I used a sorby multitip tool for some of the hollowing as well as my trusty bowl scraper from Packard. QUOTE]

Really nice bowl Bill:
I have some wood stashed for this form but have not made up the scrapers for insides as yet.

p.s. I have been using those multi flapped sanding mops on my electric drill will some success. I imagine you could use them here albeit with a longer mandrel.

Regards
Bob