PDA

View Full Version : Simple DC question

Michael Conner
05-26-2006, 11:44 AM
I am realively new here, but I know that DC discussions can generate much discussion. However, I have a relatively simple question. In my introdcutory post, I mentioned that I am in the process of building a shop. This shop is on the back 2 acres of an 8 acre lot. There are no houses within 1/4 mile at best and the area is forested all around. The reason I mention this is that I think venting my DC to the outside is a viable option. I am considering placing a wagon underneath a shoot to collect the larger shavings for later use. Under these circumstances, do you see anything worng with this idea? Would you go with one larger unit or a couple of smaller HF type units? I will never have over one machine working at a time, but if I vent to the outside, mobility of the unit will not be possible. Thus, I will have to pull dust for a long distance OR I would need to use a couple of smaller units.

I also plan to make a few of the fan-driven air cleaners I seen posted. Thanks in advance for your advice/opinions.

Mike

Bill Pentz
05-26-2006, 11:58 AM
Mike,

Venting outside is the best way to go to protect your health. Many types of sawdust and chips should not be just blown around because they will kill grass, trees, and other plants.

I doubt that the HF can move enough air to serve as your dust collector and be assured of moving ample air for fine dust collection, but it would work fine for just picking up the sawdust and chips you would otherwise sweep up with a broom. A good 220V 2 hp dust collector will probably be enough provide good fine dust collection and blow outside with no filter.

Most eventually find a cyclone does the best job of separating the fine dust that you can just blow away from the chips and sawdust that sometimes you just want to toss instead of spread around. Figure up to 1.5 hp more motor than your dust collector to power the high turbulence and tight spiral of air inside a cyclone needed to do the separation.

If money is a concern, I would seriously consider making a good quality (budget blower (http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/BudBlower.cfm)) that could start off as your a "chip collector" then later be used with a cyclone if you find yourself needing one. Cost would be less than a far less capable dust collector, especially if you can find a good inexpensive motor.

Tyler Howell
05-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Mike,

Your heat and cooling go out with the Chips too!
Worth re-concidering

Travis Johnson
05-26-2006, 1:06 PM
Michael,

I am kind of in the same boat as you, but perhaps with a few more acres and a new shop that is at least halfway done. I cobbled up a dust control system that I am pretty proud of. It operates on the same principal that you speak of.

In a nut shell I use a single stage dust collector to gather up my sawdust from every machine in my shop. From there is drops down to a sump where another impeller carries the chips and sawdust outside. It is a very safe system because once the sawdust enters the airstream of the dust collection system, it is in a closed loop.

To help you and others better understand my inexpensive and lazy-mans suystem, I made a webpage specifically for it. You can check it out here.

http://www.railroadmachinist.com/Workshop_Dust_Collector.html

Bill Pentz
05-26-2006, 4:52 PM
Tyler,

Most unless in the coldest climates find there is no heating problem with blowing the air outside. Most large commercial woodworking facilities have long blown their air outside and keep all comfortably warm by using radiant instead of convection heating. The radiant does not depend upon the air to carry the heat. If your shop is air conditioned, then blowing outside is a different matter.

Still with my medical costs high enough to buy a new cyclone every other month, I wish I had blown the dirty air outside instead of trusting a vendor to provide protection with their so called fine dust cyclone and fine filters.

Steve Clardy
05-26-2006, 8:31 PM
Mine all goes outside.

I need some sideboards:rolleyes: ;)

Jeff Horton
05-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Mine all goes outside.

I see you found a good use for that old Ford. ;)

David Livingston
06-01-2006, 1:35 PM
Mine all goes outside.

Steve:

I am in the beginning stages of planning a shop. I wondered if that picture of the fan outside your shop...is that the only suction for your dust collection system?

Thanks,

Dave

tod evans
06-01-2006, 1:45 PM
dave, check here for blowers
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/sawdust_blower_26.asp

these babies will outsuck any of the consumer type cyclone set-ups hands down! the impellers are 1/4" plate and the shaft is mounted on pillow blocks. full beers can pass with no damage....02 tod

Steve Clardy
06-01-2006, 2:05 PM
Steve:

I am in the beginning stages of planning a shop. I wondered if that picture of the fan outside your shop...is that the only suction for your dust collection system?

Thanks,

Dave

Yes. Thats it.
It started life as a new 4-bag 3500 cfm unit. I stripped, modified, built a stand, replaced the 13' steel impellor with a 13 1/2" cincinatti fan.

I still need to redo the top outlet. Had all the connections made at the local sheet metal shop. They were supposed to make a round transition for the top outlet, but somewhere things got crossed up.
When I realized this, I already had my old 1500 cfm unit removed, and this one installed. It works ok like it is. Don't know if I would even notice a difference in it if it had a round transition.