PDA

View Full Version : What is the name of this bolt?

Julio Navarro
05-26-2006, 10:16 AM

Can someone tell me what the bolt on this seat clamp is called?

I found some on my sons' scooter but I dont know what it is called.

Tyler Howell
05-26-2006, 10:29 AM
looks like a cammed clevis pin from here.
Is it threaded??

Scott Banbury
05-26-2006, 10:31 AM

Can someone tell me what the bolt on this seat clamp is called?

I found some on my sons' scooter but I dont know what it is called.

I'd call it a cam lever clamp doohickey.

John D Watson
05-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Up here we call them Allen Bolts(or screw). It has a hex hole for an allen wrench and usually come in metric today. Now I'm talking about the bolt and nothing else here. Hope this helps

Kent Fitzgerald
05-26-2006, 10:46 AM
If you mean the female-threaded cylindrical part, that's a cross dowel.

CPeter James
05-26-2006, 11:00 AM
I don't know which part you are referring to, but the whole thing is available at any bicycle shop or landfill, dump or transfer station. I get mine at the dump on bikes that have been discarded. I use them on my PC 690 routers.

CPeter

Julio Navarro
05-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Yes,Tyler, it is threaded. something like a carriage bolt with a round head that holds the cam lever as Scott says.

Julio Navarro
05-26-2006, 11:17 AM
They use them on bike seat and scooters. My Hitachi router has one. I want to see if I can get a few for a dust hood attachement I am working on.

Steve Clardy
05-26-2006, 1:09 PM
Lee valley carries cam clamps. About $5.00 each.

Adapted them to some of my 690 bases that had the thumb turn screw on the base

CPeter James
05-26-2006, 1:20 PM
To repeat myself, try the local dump, the price is right!!

CPeter

Julio Navarro
05-26-2006, 1:35 PM
Where at in the dump would you look, Peter?

I've only put stuff in a dump, never took stuff from one.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-26-2006, 1:54 PM
SALLY. The bolt is named Sally.

Julio Navarro
05-26-2006, 2:03 PM
Sally Bolt? Any relation to Lolly column?

Mark Singer
05-26-2006, 2:15 PM
Lightining :confused:

Tyler Howell
05-26-2006, 2:39 PM
Bike Shop?? Stem pf a bike seat.
Rockler has a large selection of knobs, levers and bolts for adjusting jigs. A little $$$

Lynn Sonier
05-26-2006, 4:12 PM
but when did this become the "Comedy Forum"? The man asked a legitimate question and he has to wade through the comedy bits to see if anyone really knows the answer to his question. I had the same thing happen to me a couple of days ago and that is why I do not come to this forum as often as I used to.

Steve Clardy
05-26-2006, 4:27 PM
but when did this become the "Comedy Forum"? The man asked a legitimate question and he has to wade through the comedy bits to see if anyone really knows the answer to his question. I had the same thing happen to me a couple of days ago and that is why I do not come to this forum as often as I used to.

Excuse us Lynn.:o
All in good fun.:)

CPeter James
05-26-2006, 4:41 PM
As to where in the dump. I get mine in the scrap metal bin. Lots of other good stuff there as well. Picked up a nice 4 drawer tool box last fall. Lots of good bikes. I clean them up and give them to local kids.

CPeter

Jim Andrew
05-28-2006, 1:05 PM
Our local dump personel would have you arrested. CPeter, what do you
use those for on your router?

Paul Turner
05-28-2006, 9:12 PM

It's called dumpster diving. You may need to think "inside the box" as well as "outside the box"...

Mike Cutler
05-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Julio.

In bike shop lingo. That is a quick release binder bolt. The quick release is used on seat posts, wheel hubs, and sometimes stems.
If you need to replace it, you need to know the inside diameter in inches. The sizes are somewhat standard.

Rich Konopka
05-29-2006, 8:10 AM
Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place. --- Mark Twain

I'm Sorry you feel that way Lynn. I would rather endure the comedy than flaming and spamming.

Best Regards,

Rich Konopka
05-29-2006, 8:18 AM

Julio, My town transfer station has a " Pun N Take" area. This is where people put stuff that may be of value to others. In my town many of the old yankees who are thrifty go and find amazing items in this disposable society. My neighor who is thrifty recently found a moped in the put n take and being the yankee engineer he is, fixed it up, and is no scooting around saving on expensive gas.