PDA

View Full Version : Government Surplus auctions

Nate Rogers
05-26-2006, 7:55 AM
Hello,
I have heard many of you discuss going to auctions that the government holds for surplus equipment. I have been trying to navigate the internet in hopes of finding information about these. However I just keep getting sent in circles, can anyone share info on where these are located and what is available?

Thanks
Nate

lou sansone
05-26-2006, 8:25 AM
what you are looking for is govliquidation . com

be careful

lou

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-26-2006, 8:41 AM
Yah be careful.
Unless you want to pay a lot for scrap iron you gotta go and examine and - you absolutely have to be able to say "when" and let some other guy bid the stupidly high price.

I've heard some horror stories from those who put their $$ up unaware.

John Bush
05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
My dad was a big fan of these auctions and ended up buying all the "innards" of a post office, i.e., the metal sorting slots, all the cabinets, the canvas hoppers,etc. Two full semis showed up at the farm to unload. Mom was a bit surprised. He also bought all the old equipment from a dental clinic. The barn looked like it was filled with alien robots. Be cautious what you bid on, you may be surprised too.

Once he got on the mailing list, he got notices all the time announcing new items and venues. That was well before the web, but still the same agency I think. Good shopping, JCB.

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-26-2006, 1:52 PM
He also bought all the old equipment from a dental clinic. The barn looked like it was filled with alien robots.

There was a time not too long ago when you could make boatloads of $$ buying used dental equipment and selling it overseas. in the 1980's the Indians and Chinese were really gangbusters buying used medical equipment.
Probly still can make money at it..

Bill Pentz
05-26-2006, 5:07 PM
Nate,

I used to pretty faithfully go to the local Government auctions, but when they got too well publicized changed to instead going to farm and business auctions. They are a little harder to find, but if you are willing to get or make a 3-phase converter, you can build a very impressive shop for pennies on the dollar. One of my friends retired from being an engineer and that is all he does now is wander all over going to these kinds of auctions. His ranch has a full machine shop and commercial woodshop that you would not believe.

Craig Feuerzeig
05-26-2006, 5:38 PM
When I first started my cabinet business I purchased an old FBI surveilance van from a gov't surplus auction. I loved it because it was fully carpeted so I could slide finished goods right in. Killer stereo and a/c too. Low mileage, they just sat in it. Good deal, drove it for years.

I think I read about the auction in the local paper.