PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit: "me" with Mark Singer

Jim Becker
05-26-2006, 2:10 AM
Sometimes you can't get enough of a good thing and a visit with Mr. Singer is "a good thing"...a repeat meet for me, too! We toured some fabulous project sites that Mark is working on (including the Balboa House...yum!) as well as visited a really talented guitar maker. And, I got to fondle Mark's new Mini Max FS41 Elite S jointer/planer/mortiser...and will post pictures to prove it when I get home. We also had a nice relaxing evening sipping something red and really, really good while watching the sun move around in the mist and then a very nice meal at a local eatery.

Thanks Mark!!

Keith Starosta
05-26-2006, 7:35 AM
Ya know, Jim......bragging is generally considered rude!! ;) :D

Sounds like yet another successful visit with Mr. Singer!!

- Keith

Richard Wolf
05-26-2006, 7:36 AM
Sounds like a gloat!

Richard

Greg Hairston
05-26-2006, 8:01 AM
Jim,
I am hoping to go see Mark on my next trip out to the left coast. Talked to him on the phone the other day. What a gentleman.

Greg

John Miliunas
05-26-2006, 8:10 AM
Mark who??? Balboa house??? Some type of "Elite" machine??? Ohhhh...I know; Our Network boys have been messing with the firewall settings again and I can't see the pics. :mad: Guess I'll have to wait until I get home, huh? :(

I'm absolutely certain it was a super visit and Mark (and Myriam) is most definitely a most gracious host. :D However, I'm not so sure it's the Network at fault here!!! AHEM!!! :mad: :D :cool:

Wes Bischel
05-26-2006, 10:25 AM
We also had a nice relaxing evening sipping something red and really, really good

Oh boy! does Cool-Aid have a new berry flavor!!:D

Wes

Mark Singer
05-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Good morning! I woke up a litltle late....had a guest over yesterday...Jim Becker...wine , food and good company. Now I am recovering! We tried my Elite S monster... It was a lot of fun....we saw a couple of homes and toured guitar maker Kirk Sands shop...its tiny , but out of the small shop he has made 500 guitars ...Chet Atkins, earl Klug and others play on a Sand guitar... He took the time to show us has wood stash and the 30 guitars he is now making...

http://www.sandguitars.com/

Then we had dinner and a great gelato....I am in recovery..Jim is a great guy and a repeat visitor...

Jim Becker
05-26-2006, 11:10 PM
'Just got home from the left coast, so here are a few pictures...

Mark demo-ing the slot mortiser on the FS-41 Elite S J/P/M:

Jim trying out said slot mortiser:

The tranquil view we enjoyed with our tasty red refreshment:

Corey Hallagan
05-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Looks like it was a great time Jim! I kind of like that red stuff myself!

Corey

Mark Singer
05-27-2006, 1:25 AM
Just for clarification.....the red stuff comes after the shop is closed:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
05-27-2006, 8:16 AM
Hey, "Hollywood", I do know that Mark's shop is bright but, you could at least lose the shades in the shop, no? :D Ahhhh, man, every time I see pics inside that shop or around the area, my heart skips a beat! :) Get any pics of the Balboa house as it sits now? It was truly impressive only halfway done and I can't hardly imagine how nice it must be now! Great visit, I'm sure and thanks for the pics...I think. :( :o :D :cool:

Corvin Alstot
05-27-2006, 8:51 AM
. . . and toured guitar maker Kirk Sands shop...its tiny , but out of the small shop he has made 500 guitars ...Chet Atkins, earl Klug and others play on a Sand guitar... He took the time to show us has wood stash and the 30 guitars he is now making...
http://www.sandguitars.com/
Wow, I did not know there was a custom guitar maker in Laguna. I have been meaning to get to Austin to see the Collings guitar shop, looks I should add the Sands shop as well. . . .For a small town, Laguna seems to have a number of high quality craftsman not including all the artists.!

Mark Singer
05-27-2006, 9:37 AM
Wow, I did not know there was a custom guitar maker in Laguna. I have been meaning to get to Austin to see the Collings guitar shop, looks I should add the Sands shop as well. . . .For a small town, Laguna seems to have a number of high quality craftsman not including all the artists.!

Corvin,
Here is the lst of exhibitors at the Festival of the Arts...each tells the artists specialty..Mark Allen, David French, Randy Baeder, Micha Von Doring and Frank Smart are among those listed as "furniture"...
Frank Smart has been doing all my metal accessory work and metal furniture for 20 years...he is doing a couple of interior stairways for me know. We have callaborated on chairs, tables, desks, beds , barstools and other pieces for years....Randy is a great chair maker and does other stuff as well... Micha does some nice casework as does David French...when you visit your Dad in Laguna , check it out...

http://www.foapom.com/site/artists.asp

Jerry Olexa
05-27-2006, 9:53 AM
Good to see two of the important "founders" of this forum together in the shop. You guys are cornerstones of SMC and contribute much to our collective knowledge. Hope you enjoyed your Cabernet's tobether or perhaps , it was a Bordeaux.:D Thanx for pics..:)

Jim Becker
05-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Hey, "Hollywood", I do know that Mark's shop is bright but, you could at least lose the shades in the shop, no?

I didn't have my safety glasses with me and for a quick look at the mortiser, I wanted my eyes covered. Mark's shop is so filled with natural light that the "shades" didn't hurt. (But I did have Asian/Cuban fusion dinner in Hollywood the night before...some dude from Lost was at the next table)

Get any pics of the Balboa house as it sits now? It was truly impressive only halfway done and I can't hardly imagine how nice it must be now!

I only took two pictures of the property...one of the master shower setup to show Alison and a long shot from the PCH. I'll let Mark have the honors of a pictorial tour of the property when it is completed...which should be relatively soon. I will say this...the quality of workmanship is outstanding. And the folks installing the kitchen cabinets were obviously Festool junkies! What's not to like about that?