PDA

View Full Version : New delta 36-R53L right tilt TA unisaw table saw 10"

Christopher Pine
05-26-2006, 12:18 AM
wondring about a ebay auction for this title New delta 36-R53L right tilt TA unisaw table saw 10" It is local to me so shipping is not a problem.. what does three phase mean? Is this somthing that would work for me in my garage shop if I ran 220 for it?
ANy advice would be appreciated

Vaughn McMillan
05-26-2006, 12:33 AM
To answer a few of your questions...in layman's terms, three phase power is the industrial strength electricity that's run into commercial shops, but rarely is it easily available to residential sites. You cannot plug this saw directly into the 220 power in your garage shop. However, there are devices called phase converters that will turn the single phase power in your shop into something the three phase motor will accept. These devices cost several hundered dollars (and up). The other option would be to buy a new (single phase) motor, which is also in the hundreds of bucks, especially if you get a 5 HP motor.

It also looks like the auction is for the saw only...you'd still need to figure on spending several hundred dollars for a fence system, too. There are a number of good ones, and about twice as many opinions about which one is the best as there are fence systems. ;)

Others here who know more about this that I do will likely chime in, but I think by the time you got it equipped to run in your shop, you'll be spending about the same as if you went to the store and just bought a Uni ready to take home and plug in. (Especially if the auction price goes much higher than it already is.)

That's my take -- YMMV.

- Vaughn