PDA

View Full Version : BoWrench –a great tool discovery!

Frank Pellow
05-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Today, I used a tool for the first time that I wish I had discovered many years ago.

It’s called a BoWrench and is used to apply pressure when installing deck boards. Here is the web site of the company that makes the tool: http://www.cepcotool.com/bowrench/

In the past, I usually did this by driving an old screwdriver into the joist behind the board then leveraging the board with that screwdriver. It usually worked but was time consuming and messy.

One simply hooks the BoWrench around a joist then pushes the deck board into position, as is shown below:

I couldn't believe the leverage you get with it –and with very little time spent and no damage to the joist!

Here is a picture of me applying pressure to a board with one hand on the handle of the BoWrench while screwing the board with a drill in the other hand:

Then one loosens the BoWrench from the joist by tapping it with a hammer, as per the following picture:

The instructions also tell one how to pull with the tool, but I have not tried that operation yet.

Mark Rios
05-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Looks pretty handy there Frank. I have one question though......................................

Is it legal to wear a Festool hat while using a Dewalt drill?

I think you might have to pay a fine or something.........

:D :D :D

Frank Pellow
05-26-2006, 4:41 AM
Mark, if you look very closely under my right arm, you will see that a Festool cordless drill is also involved in this operation. That drill is resting on a board close to the fence. It contains a drill bit that I am using to predrill holes near the end of the cedar deck boards.

So, I think that I can escape any fine. ;)

fred woltersdorf
05-26-2006, 6:56 AM
frank, where do i get one of those magic hammers? look ma no hands.

Joe Mioux
05-26-2006, 8:15 AM
In the past, I usually did this by driving an old screwdriver into the joist behind the board then leveraging the board with that screwdriver. It usually worked but was time consuming and messy.

Are you retiring your "multipurpose tool" screwdriver?

Joe

Frank Pellow
05-26-2006, 8:20 AM
Are you retiring your "multipurpose tool" screwdriver?

Joe
Hey Joe, you have a good memory! :)

For those wondering about what Joe is refering to, see the thread: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21256.

No, that screwdriver still occupies a place of honour in my shop and still gets used from time to time on some job or another. But, I doubt that it will now see much use to leverage deck boards.

Marty Walsh
05-26-2006, 8:50 AM
Frank,

The Bowrench is an excellent tool for sure. Add the "Tweaker" and working alone doesn't seem like quite the 'one-armed juggling act' it usually is.

Here's a linkie (http://www.mayhew.com/products/tweaker.htm)to the tweaker in case you're not familliar with it.

- Marty -

Rick Schubert
05-26-2006, 10:49 AM

I think Lee Valley has this tool or something like it. I'm going from memory. Rick

Frank Pellow
05-26-2006, 11:52 AM

I think Lee Valley has this tool or something like it. I'm going from memory. Rick
Lee Valley does sell the BoWrench tool. See: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32010&cat=1,43456,43407

But Fred was referring to my third picture where I showed a “magic” hammer operating without any assistance on the part of a human. :D

Alex Berkovsky
05-26-2006, 12:10 PM
McFeely's carries the product (http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?pid=BW-0002) also.

Jim Benante
05-26-2006, 12:20 PM
I am just about to order one. A friend told me about it a few weeks ago and I am preparing to start a ipe deck project next week. My buddy used ipe and said this was a must for hardwood decking. This comes from a 280 lb. 6' 7'' guy. His big legs weren't strong enough to straighten bowed pieces efficiently. He said this tool makes it a simple.

Mike Elo
05-26-2006, 4:15 PM
Take a good look at the website and buy a chunck of 1.5 inch square stock and few 3/8 inch bolts. I built one in about a half an hour. If have a welder you can even put the offset in the handle. These were fairly spendy when I needed one a few years ago. I doubt i'll ever need one again. My next deck will be composite.

Frank Pellow
05-26-2006, 9:28 PM
Looks pretty handy there Frank. I have one question though......................................

I think you might have to pay a fine or something.........

I answered this question yesterday explaining why I thought I could get away with it.

Another reason, is shown in the attached photo showing what is piled up at the other end of the deck. :D

Joe Blankshain
05-26-2006, 9:33 PM
Frank has the same addiction to quality tools as I do. I will be looking at this above mentioned tool in the morning. I feel the cc having some immediate impact.

Christian Aufreiter
05-27-2006, 7:34 AM

Which tool belongs to the Ryobi box?:rolleyes:

Christian

Frank Pellow
05-27-2006, 8:22 AM
Which tool belongs to the Ryobi box?:rolleyes:

Christian
Well spoted Christian. It is a planer.

Christian Aufreiter
05-27-2006, 4:00 PM
Well spoted Christian. It is a planer.

Frank, doesn't Festool make a planer?:p ;)

Christian

Frank Pellow
05-27-2006, 7:28 PM
Frank, doesn't Festool make a planer?:p ;)

Christian
Yes they do, but I had the planer before I discovered Festool. And, since I only use the planer for rough carpentry, the Ryobi is adequate.

David Figueroa
05-28-2006, 1:38 AM
Cepco Tool makes some clever devices. Kudos to them. I bought and am using their QuikJack, for hardwood flooring. I cannot do without it, since even the most expensive flooring boards are not all perfect. It is very simple to use. I would say almost effortless.

Frank Pellow
05-28-2006, 7:57 PM
Cepco Tool makes some clever devices. Kudos to them. I bought and am using their QuikJack, for hardwood flooring. I cannot do without it, since even the most expensive flooring boards are not all perfect. It is very simple to use. I would say almost effortless.
Thanks for the tip David. I will investigate the QuikJack the next time that I install a floor.