PDA

View Full Version : Hollow log loctus bowl

Jeff Horton
05-25-2006, 10:36 PM
I am pretty well pleased with this bowl but once I get the photos I see things I didn't see in the bowl.:( But thats another story.

I cut of piece of loctus only to find the heart was rotten. I sliced it for handles and kept looking at this left over slab and thinking I needed to turn it. It had a limb cut off so there might be bit of figure and the rough edges would be neat. It's actually better than I imagined it would be. Even my wife said it was neat and she is my worst (or best) critic!

39368 39369 39370

As I said this was a hollow log so there is lots of rough edge when I turned it. I was going with a foot then I decided that it would distract from the shape that I ended up with. So I just took out a hand saw and cut the tennon off while in the chuck, just the jaws as a guide to cut it straight.

I clamp it 'best I could' in my bench and plane the bottom flat with a block plane. Without a good edge it was hard to clamp it and it not slip. The finish is just a liberal coat of tung oil. The bottom needs to be oiled but my shoulder was hurting so I called it night.

Corey Hallagan
05-25-2006, 10:43 PM
That's awesome! I bet it was a bear! Looks great though.

Corey

John Timberlake
05-26-2006, 9:51 AM
Nice piece. Never thought about doing a hollow log. Will have keep my eyes open for more opportunities and keep my mind open. Keep up the good work.

Jeff Horton
05-26-2006, 11:45 AM
This wasn't to hard. If your comfortable with interrupted cuts that is. Shaping the outside was harder than than the inside. At one point I had to stand on the backside of the lathe to work the undercut on the rim. Sanding it was a real finger breaker! I was really glad that I had the variable speed and could slow it way down.

Tom Sherman
05-26-2006, 7:42 PM
Jeff that is truly awsome. Looks like it could have been dangerous sanding those rims Very nice job.

Dick Parr
05-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Great job Jeff, super job.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
05-27-2006, 1:39 PM
Nice piece, Jeff!