PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Box.

Mike Cutler
05-25-2006, 6:06 PM
I finished this "Flower Box" for a friend a few weeks back. It was fairly simple, but I think it came out nice.The dimensions are 9"x5"x3"
The first pic is the picture that I was given as an example, out of a catalog. The remaining pics are what I did with it. The material is Canary wood , with an epoxy finish on the interior, and Tru-Oil on the exterior.

Don Baer
05-25-2006, 6:11 PM
Nice box Mike. Is the reason for the epoxy to waterproof the inside. I wonder if that would work on the inside of a vase/weed pot..:rolleyes:

Lee DeRaud
05-25-2006, 6:15 PM
Very nice.

Is that a compound miter on the corners? Looks like it's wider at the top, but that might just be the camera angle.

Mike Cutler
05-25-2006, 6:19 PM
Don.

I don't think that it actually gets filled with water, at least I hope not. I used epoxy in the event that freshly cut flowers were put into the box, that still had some residual moisture content.
I've never seen one in actual use, so I wasn't really sure how one is used.
I think epoxy would work on the inside of a weed pot, or wooden vase. Maybe one of the boat builders here on the site could weigh in and tell us.
Thank you for the compliment.

Mike Cutler
05-25-2006, 6:22 PM
Very nice.

Is that a compound miter on the corners? Looks like it's wider at the top, but that might just be the camera angle.

It's the camera angle Lee. I don't think I could do a compound angle correctly. :eek: I've actually been trying to learn to make compound miters, so that I can make some Art's and Crafts columns. I think they are called Furstrums ?(sp.)

Jay Knoll
05-25-2006, 6:35 PM
Mike

Super job! You might consider taking it to a sheet metal place and asking them to make a copper liner for it, then you'll never have to worry about water. I've had my local place make me some copper trays over the years, never had a leak.

Jay

Jeff Horton
05-25-2006, 7:07 PM
..... I've actually been trying to learn to make compound miters, so that I can make some Art's and Crafts columns. I think they are called Furstrums ?(sp.)
Mike, I can offer some advice on that one. I made two sets for my house and there not that hard. You make a sled.... well two actually for your table saw and then you can spit them out no problem. Will have to look and see if I don't have some photos of the jigs I made. If not they are in the shop in the corner and I can get some photos.

Really they are not that hard.

Mike Cutler
05-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Mike, I can offer some advice on that one. I made two sets for my house and there not that hard. You make a sled.... well two actually for your table saw and then you can spit them out no problem. Will have to look and see if I don't have some photos of the jigs I made. If not they are in the shop in the corner and I can get some photos.

Really they are not that hard.

Jeff.

I would like to see the sled(s). I know that I have a future project that will put an A&C style room divider between our kitchen and the front room. The support colums will need to be hidden, or integrated into the design. I'm probably looking at a tapered length of between 3 and 7 feet in length.

Corey Hallagan
05-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Nice work Mike, it looks great!

Corey

Charlie Plesums
05-26-2006, 12:10 AM
If you want sloping sides to a pot/box like that, tilt the blade to 45 degrees (for a 4 sided pot, 30 degrees for six sided, etc.). Raise the edge along the miter gauge by the amount you want the top to tilt out, for example by putting a half inch dowel or scrap along the gauge, and cut. Because the board is sloped, one side will be wider. Flip the board over, slide it a bit past the blade, and cut again. Voila, a trapezoid with compound angles for a sloping side. The second time you do it, you will see how to set the rip fence to form equal size sides.

Jeff Horton
05-26-2006, 9:23 AM
Jeff.

I would like to see the sled(s). I know that I have a future project that will put an A&C style room divider between our kitchen and the front room. The support colums will need to be hidden, or integrated into the design. I'm probably looking at a tapered length of between 3 and 7 feet in length.

I will make some photos and try to describe how to make them in another post. We built (well still building) an Arts and Crafts style home. I have tapered columns inside and out I made. Like everything I do I learned some thing I would do different. Just wish I had documented the process of making them when I did them.

Ed Lang
05-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Is that a graphic of the Rotunda that it is sitting on?