PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Unisaw are they Good ??

Ben Roman
05-25-2006, 3:26 PM
There is a fella in Austin that is selling a Rockwell Unisaw Commercial Grade saw for 500.00 OBO.

Is this a good saw ? Is it worth replacing my Ridgid TS3650 for this saw. Not sure if I should go for it or stick with what I have.

The ad is on Austin Craigslist if anyone is interested.

Ben

Joe Scarfo
05-25-2006, 3:31 PM
Depending on age and condition, it's a great bargain... I would be interested if I was nearby.

Good Luck
Joe

Mike Henderson
05-25-2006, 3:54 PM
Find out if it has a single phase motor or a 3 phase motor. If it's three phase, you'll either have to buy a new motor or do strange things to get three phase power.

If it has a single phase motor - and it works - grab it.

Mike

tod evans
05-25-2006, 3:55 PM
ben, i`d boot the ridgid for an old unisaw in a heartbeat! .02 tod

Cliff Rohrabacher
05-25-2006, 3:58 PM
No they are terrible. The bearings are like old wet pancakes, the arbors often came from the factory bent, the flanges never aligned there was never enough room in the location holes to adjust the table & blade. Even the paint was defective.

Now what was his telephone number again??

Rob Russell
05-25-2006, 3:58 PM
Ben,

That's basically the old saw that I had until I upgraded. As long as it's not 3-phase (which it shouldn't be) - snag it. It has the Jetlock fence which you'll want to replace and it looks like the factory switch has been replaced. On mine, it was actually low-voltage controls to a motor starter that hangs off the back of the saw. The hole in the front of the base is just a cover plate. You could make one out of plywood and paint it a matching gray.

Make sure the trunnion action is smooth, the motor starts right up and there's no bad wear when you look at the guts under the table.

If all that checks out - it's a great saw to build up with a better fence into the saw you really want.

Rob

Jeff Horton
05-25-2006, 7:20 PM
I am rebuilding a 1948 model. I would grab that one in a heartbeat! If you want it you better hurry. If it's not trashed or damaged it wont last long.